A daily exercise thread?....

- - - - - plus slight workouts

• Please log in to reply
4631 replies to this topic

rak1978

rak1978

• Seniors
  • 2,380 posts
I love the daily threads where people can unload information that they feel they need/want to share. How about a daily exercise thread? I'm always curious what other people are doing and how it works out in regards to blood sugar.

I'll start.....

Today I did 20 min laps in the pool & about 5 minutes of jumping jacks in the pool (don't laugh, it was hard).
Planning on doing pilates after "nigh-night" time.
My blood sugar before the pool was 140, after was 200.
Just what I was hoping for (sarcasm).

Feel free to share :D
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

HeartMan

HeartMan

• Members
  • 366 posts
I bought a new pedometer and got it set up last week. Today's stats for exercise:
1935 Aerobic Steps
20 Minutes
182 Kcal
Post Transplant Diabetes 2004
FreeStyle Lite, Accu-Chek Aviva, Contour USB meters
NovoLog & Levimir Insulins
A1C 04/10 5.8
A1C 08/10 5.6

statdeac

statdeac

• Seniors
  • 1,101 posts
I went to the gym this morning and did 30 minutes of interval training. 12 reps on 10 different weight machines alternating with 10 rounds of stepping exercises.

Bg started elevated and ended elevated. Though I thought my CGM sensor was going buggy, it was actually correct. I changed my infusion set and all was okay again!
Statdeac

rak1978

rak1978

• Seniors
  • 2,380 posts

I went to the gym this morning and did 30 minutes of interval training. 12 reps on 10 different weight machines alternating with 10 rounds of stepping exercises.

Bg started elevated and ended elevated. Though I thought my CGM sensor was going buggy, it was actually correct. I changed my infusion set and all was okay again!

Statdeac: I find that my blood sugar doesn't budge (if anything, it rises) from morning exercise when there isn't a bolus on board. It's the safest time (regarding hypos) for me to do strenuous exercises (not that I do very often).
Sounds like a great routine! I need to start doing interval training. Just don't really know where to start.
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
15 minutes of ring dips and ring pullups, 36 dips and 43 pullups.

15 minutes of snatching, 18x4 left arm, 18x4 right arm, 40-lb dumbbell.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

raffi

raffi

• Seniors
  • 1,910 posts
Just did my daily walk today. Too cold for an afternoon bike ride.

My Bike/Run/Walk GPS says
2.6 mile walk at 4.7 MPH burned 458 calories.

Seems like a high calorie number, but I was walking at a pretty good clip, so who knows.

networkguy

networkguy

• Members
  • 451 posts
I do 4 miles brisk walk 4-5 times/week first thing when I get up. If Im high, it will lower my BS about 120 points within an hour, but usually I wake up around 90-130 so I take a glass of juice before I go, followed by 30g of protein right when I get done. 1-2 times/week, 2-3 weeks/month I do HIIT training instead. Takes 1/3 the time hehe. No idea how many calories I burn...I really dont care :P

KatGirl

KatGirl

• Members
  • 138 posts
What a great idea for a thread!!

This morning I woke up at 5:30am and ran 5 miles (I'm training for a half marathon).

Tonight I will go to the gym and do about an hour of cardio.

In general I do 5 mile runs 3 times a week and one long run (around 11-12 miles) a week. I will do cardio 6 days a week, strength training 3 times a week (twice with a trainer and once in a class I signed up for), and every once in a while a yoga class.

With my half coming up I've really increased the exercise. Once it's over I'll probably scale back for a couple of weeks and then start training for the Chicago half that is in September.

Unfortunately with all this exercise, I have not lost one pound since December. Oh well at least I can say I am in the best shape of my life.
Recent A1c: 11/5/10: 5.0 :D

Completed Races:
6/13/10: North Shore 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:46
9/13/10: Chicago 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:35
10/31/10: Monster Dash 1/2 Marathon: Chip Time: 2:37
11/6/10: Chicago Hot Chocolate 15K: Chip Time: 1:48

Upcoming Races:
Disney Princess Half Marathon (Orlando): 2/27/11
Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K: 4/10/11
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon: 5/1/11

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
It was my rest day ... I did 30 minutes of non-interval recumbent bike, while watching Cirque du Soleil with the kids ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

starfade

starfade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was wondering if there was a thread like this. :)

I went for a 33 minute walk, moderate pace, a few hills to get the blood pumping. Topped that off with stretches, then a few minutes dancing.

I'm working with the diet (just started Monday) and exercise (started Monday also), so I'm proud of my baby steps.

aiah23

aiah23

• Seniors
  • 1,748 posts
I've been out of regular exercise for a while (I miss the gym and weight training!). I started walking again a few weeks ago. I typically walk with a coworker (so really early lunch break) b/c it's about 50 degrees around 7:30a and a great temperature to go walking. Wind usually picks up later in the day too and it kills my allergies. I do this routinely 3-4X/week. Going to try yoga this week too. My perinatologist told me those are both activities I can do throughout pregnancy too so I'm getting in the habit way before I end up pregnant! :)

Fawn

Searchy

Searchy

• Members
  • 361 posts
I think yesterday was week 4 day 2 of "Insanity" ... I think it was called Cadio Resistance and PAIN ... or something like that.

:D
Newbie, who needs advice :)
Diagnosed 10-28-09 T2
BG Fasting 409 :eek:
BG at discharge from Hospital 192

A1C 10/30/09 10.4 :(
A1C 11/30/09 8.3 :o
A1C 2/1/10 5.6 :D
A1C 5/13/10 5.4 :D :D
A1C 11/10/10 5.7 :)

1x Metformin 500mg daily
1x Glipizide 5mg daily - not anymore! - 3/4/10

rak1978

rak1978

• Seniors
  • 2,380 posts
Just came back from a long walk (an hour and 5 min. to be exact). ALL HILLS. Pushing stroller and pulling dog.
It's a beautiful day today. :)
Maybe some pilates and/or swimming later.

Before walk blood sugar was 166, after was 72 (the 72 was welcome cause I haven't been able to get under 150 ish for a few days).
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

dwm042

dwm042

• Members
  • 237 posts
Because of gout and joint issues, running is out of the question, and so are long walks. After diagnosis (gout and diabetes) I was happy to become mobile enough to walk even 5 minutes at a time.

I worked up to walking 15 minutes a day three times a week, and then fifteen minutes a day 5 days a week. Currently I walk twice a day. I walk in the morning for 15-20 minutes, at night I push it out to what I think I can tolerate; typically 15-30 minutes. I just added inclines to the walking (we purchased a walker from a used equipment store a few years back) which increase the intensity, but also tend to aggravate my gout if I push it too hard.

Three days in the mornings I lift weight immediately after walking. I try not to slow down between sets. I do lat pulldowns, a bench press, and some kind of chest crunch I can't name. Most important for me is the pulldown, which helps markedly with the back problems I was plagued with in my early 20s. I pyramid until I can't do them any more and then quit.

At work I've found that walking the stairs can help with BG control. Typical would be 2 or three sets of 5 flights of stairs. When I started I could only do one set of 5. I might do these after lunch, or the 3pm meal.

If the day is quiet, I'll circle the local sidewalks a couple times. It might only be 5 minutes but it has a noticeable effect on my BG levels.

Doesn't take much, it really doesn't. It all helps.

David.
On 2/10 was hospitalized and diagnosed:
type 2 diabetic with chronic tophaceous gout.
~~~
initial RBG: 292 mg/dL; curr: 85-99 mg/dL
wt (2/10): 262 lbs; curr: 175-185 lbs.
H1C (2/10) 7.8% (5/10) 5.3% (8/10) 5.3%
~~~
diet: modified ADA (15-30g carbs/meal, 4 meals/day).
5g ALA/day via diet (2 tsp flax seed oil a day), plenty of collard greens & spinach.
1-2g DHA-EPA/day via diet: sockeye salmon, sardines, jack mackerel, mussels

e||ement

e||ement

• Seniors
  • 1,362 posts
OMG...today I walked down 6 flights of stairs from my endo's office. I couldn't bear the thought of walking up, being 30 pounds heavier and it being a HOT day today.

That's good enough being 32 weeks pregnant, no? (sarcasm!).

Rachel, jumping jacks ARE hard in the water. Have you ever done a STEP class in the water? It's hard but so much fun!

ETA: I didn't measure my blood sugar before and after my trek down the stairs, just FYI. LOL.
...|ashley|....
Now pumping with a Ping!

rodbeezy

rodbeezy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
On a 5 day gym routine to work every muscle group trying to gain the mass I lost in the few months before Dx. Here's this week's routine, but varies each week to create a bit of confusion.

Monday - Chest:
15 min elliptical
5 sets flat benchpress - 135lbs up to 205lbs
5 decline press - 135lbs up to 185lbs
4 sets incline press on smith machine - 135lbs up to 185lbs
4 sets dumbbell flies on flat bench - 30lbs dumbbels

Tuesday - Back:
15 min elliptical
4 sets assisted pullups - 130lbs up to self weight (170lbs)
4 sets seated cable rows - 100lbs to 160lbs
4 sets roman chair hyperextension - holding 25lb up to 35lb plate
4 sets narrow grip lat pulldown - 90lbs to 120lbs

Wednesday - Shoulders:
1 mile brisk treadmill walk
4 sets barbell military press on smith machine - 100lbs to 135lbs
4 sets hammer shoulder press - 45lbs to 75lbs
4 sets lateral raises laying down sideways on bench - 20lb dumbbell
4 sets arnold press - 30lb to 35lb dumbbells
3 sets seated shrugs machine - 180lbs

And planned for Thurs-Fri:

Thursday - Arms:
Treadmill, Elliptical, or Arc machine for 15-20 mins
4 sets standing bicep curls - 50lbs to 70lbs
4 sets tricep skull crushers - 60lbs to 70lbs
4 sets isolated bicep curls - 25lb to 30lb dumbbells
4 sets tricep dips - self weight up to 215lbs (added weight)
4 sets hammer curls- 30lb dumbbells
4 sets tricep pulldowns - 40lbs to 55lbs
4 sets cable bicep curls - 25lbs to 30lbs each cable
4 sets tricep dumbbell kickbacks - 20lb dumbbells

Friday - Legs:
10min Treadmill or Elliptical to loosen up
4 sets barbell squats - 135lbs to 185lbs
4 sets lunges - holding two 25lb to 35lb weights
4 sets leg press/calf raises - 180lbs - 360lbs
3 sets ham/quad curls - 120lbs for quads, 165lbs for hams on seated ham curl machine

Also included are 15-20 min weekday afternoon walks around the work parking lot or nearby wetlands. I also do some random Iron Gym crunches or pullups and 25-50 jumping jacks at home in the evening. Weekends are more casual walking, but I'll usually be pretty sore in dire need of recovery come Saturday and a little bit into Sunday.
Dx: T2 as of 3/26/10
A1C 3/26/10: 13.6 :eek:
A1C 6/03/10: 8.6 - HDL: 66 - LDL: 132 - Trig.: 109 - Tot.: 209 (Getting there...)
A1C 9/03/10: 6.0 - HDL: 67 - LDL: 73 - Trig.: 83 - Tot.: 157 :)

Metformin ER 500mg (2x/Day)
Actos 30mg (1x/Day)
Simvastatin 10mg (1x/Day)

rak1978

rak1978

• Seniors
  • 2,380 posts
Wow...you guys are high tech! I have a lot of googling to do to get a visual on what you are talkin' about!

Ashley, I think getting up out of bed to pee counts as exercise when you're 32 weeks pregnant! :T
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

sugardumplin

sugardumplin

• Seniors
  • 709 posts
Yesterday was my free cardio day on my workout schedule, I could pick any cardio machine. I chose the treadmill. I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes burning 300+ calories :) My starting bloodsugar was 112. All insulin delivery was discontinued before workout. After 3 miles it was 70. I always bring an apple juice to the gym and drink it right after my workout if I am low.

Then I took my daughter to baseball practice and ran an additional 2 miles in 24 minutes and burned 200+ calories.

Burned over 500 calories yesterday...not too shabby :)
no signature for me please....thank you.

inkvisitor

inkvisitor

• Seniors
  • 976 posts
I plan to repeat what I did Monday this evening (maybe adding few upper more body exercises) - 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, 30 minutes on recumbent bicycle, and thirty shoulder presses (shoulder has been acting up!).
Type 1 since 02/1990

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

sugardumplin

sugardumplin

• Seniors
  • 709 posts
RODBEEZY! Wow...love the workout routine. I kind of have a similar schedule on a regular workout week. This week I am doing all cardio tp confuse the body. Isnt it funny how you have to trick your own body?
no signature for me please....thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users