Meter Calibration

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

georgepds

georgepds

• 500 plus
  • 1,044 posts
I've got a couple of one touch meters. The older ones consistently give a higher reading than the newest.

I remember these meters came with a calibration fluid. The meter recognizes the fluid if you use it in place of blood. Does anyone know if use of this fluid actually resets the calibration on the meter?

TIA
--G

Masher

Masher

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

I've got a couple of one touch meters. The older ones consistently give a higher reading than the newest.

I remember these meters came with a calibration fluid. The meter recognizes the fluid if you use it in place of blood. Does anyone know if use of this fluid actually resets the calibration on the meter?

TIA
--G

if you look at the bottle I think it tells you what the range of the reading should come in at for example ( 4.0 -7.0) just like on the test strip bottles I have 3 meters all one touch. I used the fluid only to see if my meter was reading correctly. I don't think it resets. How off are the number when you use them ? Also keep in mind the fluid does expire so that might have some effect on your meter calibration

here is a PDF link about the testing fluids http://www.lifescan....solution_ot.pdf
A1C July,2012 7.5

Oct 2012 6.6

Jan 2013 6.5

Mar 2013 6.5

metformin 1000 Mg 2 x day

Altace 20 mg daily

Crestor 20 mg

novo rapid 8 units breakfast 8-12 lunch and 12 -16 dinner

Levemir 110 units nightly

Victoza 1.8 Units (Discontinued) this was killing off my pancreas causing high lipase numbers = Bad :eek:
lowdose asprin daily

sarahspins

sarahspins

• 500 plus
  • 862 posts
The control solution isn't "calibration fluid" and the meter doesn't automatically recognize it as anything.. it isn't used to calibrate your meter, it's used for quality assurance. If you have a batch of test strips that tests outside the control solution range, then you may have a problem with the strips.
Sarah, T1 since 2000
PINGing Apidra along with Dexcom 7+

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
I think terms are getting mixed up. Are you sure it's not just quality control material instead of calibration fluid?

I don't know about old meters and how they were calibrated. Maybe they do use calibrators to set the curve instead of an algorithm as the current meters use.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

georgepds

georgepds

• 500 plus
  • 1,044 posts

if you look at the bottle I think it tells you what the range of the reading should come in at for example ( 4.0 -7.0) just like on the test strip bottles I have 3 meters all one touch. I used the fluid only to see if my meter was reading correctly. I don't think it resets. How off are the number when you use them ? Also keep in mind the fluid does expire so that might have some effect on your meter calibration

here is a PDF link about the testing fluids http://www.lifescan....solution_ot.pdf

Thanks for the link.. it looks like the cal fluid just checks that the meter response is in range, and is not used to recalibrate the meter. If things are out of range it could be the meter, the strips or the fluid from what i read

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
Then that's quality control material. If it's out of range, as you stated, it could be the meter, the strips, or the QC material.

Most likely the strips (because a wrong calibration code was entered), then the QC material (may be expired or improperly mixed), then the meter.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Yes, I don't know of any home BG meters that we can calibrate (more's the pity) and as above; the Control Solution simply tests that the strips fall with a range -- often given on the test strip container * BUT I do recall someone posting before about a meter than could automatically detect when you used Control Solution instead of blood... I don't recall the make of BG tester though.

* For my Bayer Contour the current test strip container says "Normal Control Solution Ranges 106-146 mg/dL 5.9-8.2 mmol/L"

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Here it it.. the TRUEresult®... which includes in its features "Glucose control detection".

And the previous thread where it was mentioned: http://www.diabetesf...s-confused.html

Guest_Breeze 2 User_*

Guest_Breeze 2 User_*
  • Guests
SarahSpins said in part..

If you have a batch of test strips that tests outside the control solution range, then you may have a problem with the strips.

Ahhh, well, kind'ah, somewhat, in a sort'ah type of way, there'abouts.......

Doesn't it also depend upon the solution you're using? I know that "Bayer" has three different control range solutions.. and depending on which one you use is dependent on whether you regularly have "Low", "Normal", or "High" BG level readings.

With that being the case, it may NOT be the test strips at all. Right?

Breeze 2 User

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,633 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

SarahSpins said in part..

Ahhh, well, kind'ah, somewhat, in a sort'ah type of way, there'abouts.......

Doesn't it also depend upon the solution you're using? I know that "Bayer" has three different control range solutions.. and depending on which one you use is dependent on whether you regularly have "Low", "Normal", or "High" BG level readings.

With that being the case, it may NOT be the test strips at all. Right?

Breeze 2 User

No matter what level solution you use each level has a comparative number right on the strip container. I doubt someone would use a high-level solution expecting low-level numbers and blame it on the strips.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

georgepds

georgepds

• 500 plus
  • 1,044 posts

Y... BUT I do recall someone posting before about a meter than could automatically detect when you used Control Solution instead of blood... I don't recall the make of BG tester though...

It's been a while, but IIRC, the one touch ultra does that

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,633 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
I have an Accu-Chek Compaq Plus and it also knows if I'm testing with the control solution. It records it with a "control solution" icon on the screen and does not add the control solution test to 7, 14, and 30 day averaging done by the meter.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users