Digestible carbs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

pattikins13

pattikins13

• 500 plus
  • 118 posts
When counting carbs what do you count with things like Dreamfields macaroni,41 carbs per cup but only 5 digestible carbs? When putting it in food diary which number do i count?
Type 2
I mg. Glimperide daily
5/29-10 AIC 6.3
7-12-10- AIC 6.3

pattikins13

pattikins13

• 500 plus
  • 118 posts
I would really appreciate any comments. I'm new to this and have been reading non stop. I'm really confused about some things.
Type 2
I mg. Glimperide daily
5/29-10 AIC 6.3
7-12-10- AIC 6.3

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
I have no direct experience of this kind of pasta myself but from reading here on DF it does seem that the level of "digestible carbs" can change depending on how they are cooked or re-heated.

My advice is to test your BGs around it to see how it works for you... not just once, but a few times and look for repeatable patterns, rather that making conclusions from a single test.

There are also many threads discussing this brand... http://www.diabetesf...rch/id/1168754/

Allan7935

Allan7935

• 500 plus
  • 148 posts
From the Dreamfields website:

"Q. Why do you say that Dreamfields Pasta only has 5 grams of digestible carbs when the nutrition label states that it has 41 grams of carbohydrates?

A. While the total number of carbohydrates is the same as traditional pasta, our patent-pending formula and unique manufacturing process protects all but 5 grams of carbohydrates from being digested. The Dreamfields fiber and protein blend creates a protective barrier to reduce starch digestion in the small intestine. The unabsorbed, or protected carbohydrates then pass to the colon where they are fermented, providing the same health benefits as fiber."

So, do you believe the hype? Is it too good to be true?

Maybe so, maybe not.

The previous posting says it all. Eat and test.

Allan
Dx Prediabetic 07/09 (PP 160)
A1c 07/09: 6.7;
A1c 11/09: 5.5;
A1c 03/10: 5.4
No meds
Low carb diet

pattikins13

pattikins13

• 500 plus
  • 118 posts
Many thanks to you both. Sorry,i didnt realize this had been addressed before. I'm still finding my way around the forums.:)
Type 2
I mg. Glimperide daily
5/29-10 AIC 6.3
7-12-10- AIC 6.3

mrdiscobolos

mrdiscobolos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you cook Dreamfields al dente, it should have only a small effect on you blood sugars. I usually cook mine for 5-6 minutes (though the box suggests 10 minutes). I love pasta, and this product does not spike my bg very much, and it tastes wonderful!

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

Many thanks to you both. Sorry,i didnt realize this had been addressed before. I'm still finding my way around the forums.:)

You are very welcome and please don't hesitate to ask. The forum search can be a useful place to satrt but I am surprised you have had so little feedback.. although it does tend to be quieter around here on the weekends :)

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
Dreamfields Pasta is the real deal. When they say 5 digestible carbs that is what it is .. Have eaten this pasta for about 6 months....great for BG control. :)
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

Brennah

Brennah

• 500 plus
  • 204 posts

Dreamfields Pasta is the real deal. When they say 5 digestible carbs that is what it is .. Have eaten this pasta for about 6 months....great for BG control. :)

I'm glad to hear that because I've been eating this as well for about 6 months, but don't recall testing for the 2hrpp, but now that I'm 'back on the bus' here and I will definitely test this out myself. Great thread!!
Bren

Metformin 500ER 1x daily as of 6/10/2010
Metformin 500 ER 2x daily as of 11/2011

A1C:
6.5 (Jan 2010)
6.7 (May 2010)
6.5 (Nov 2010) (I'm seeing a pattern here!)
7.5 !!!!! (Mar 2012) After increasing dosage to 2x daily SMH! - not seeing a positive change with Metformin, considering stopping it!

Having issues with DP and higher 2hrPP levels. helpful suggestions greatly appreciated!

Have a Blessed Day!! :)

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
There are people on the internet claiming that this pasta doesn't actually decrease the effect on BG at all but just delays it - until well after the time most people would test. Some claimed it caused a spike after 8 hours.

I have no way of knowing, but wouldn't touch such a science fiction food with a ten foot pole - especially when what they have actually done to it is concealed - "patent pending". That's a big part of what got us into trouble in the first place! Remember damaged oils (trans fats), manufactured to save us from the "evils" of saturated fats?

Aside from that, it is extremely expensive.

My suggestion would be to just let the memories go! Pasta, mashed potatoes, french toast, pancakes - these are just not our foods any more!
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

pattikins13

pattikins13

• 500 plus
  • 118 posts
I ate Dreamfields macaroni salad twice over the weekend. I tested at 2 hours,4 hours and 7 hours. Only spike was at 2 hours,Bg went up 12 points came back down by 4 hours.:)
Type 2
I mg. Glimperide daily
5/29-10 AIC 6.3
7-12-10- AIC 6.3

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,594 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I do well with Dreamfield's too....but not with leftovers...they spike me just like regular pasta would.

For me, it was unrealistic to think i'd never again in my life get to have pasta/bread/potatoes...fill in the blank. While I don't eat them anywhere near as much as I did before, it's great to know that there are times I can have my pasta w/o feeling the horrible effects of high blood sugar afterwards.

There are some foods i've not had since diagnosis....pancakes, waffles, real soda or sweet tea, white bread....whenever I can find something that tastes good and doesn't affect my blood sugars, I will enjoy it!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

dbaratta

dbaratta

• 500 plus
  • 1,673 posts

When counting carbs what do you count with things like Dreamfields macaroni,41 carbs per cup but only 5 digestible carbs? When putting it in food diary which number do i count?

Simple carbs: Bread, Sugar, Bread, Pasta, and so on, anything that is processed or runs quickly thru the system.

Complex carbs: Fruits and Veggies

Count your carbs period. digestible carbs? Why would something say that unless it was fiber? Not real sure, but just count your carbs. The more fiber in them the slower they absorb into the system. BUT, a carb is a carb. Better to eat a complex carb because they contain fiber (real not man made fiber). If it says 41g total carb, that is the one you should count.
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 903 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

If it says 41g total carb, that is the one you should count.

Not necessarily when it comes to Dreamfields. If I cooked it properly and bolused for 41g of carbs, I'd go low.

I usually bolus for the 5gs of carbs they suggest, provided I cook it about 2 minutes less than they recommend. Also, reheating it turns it into regular pasta for me (i.e., after reheating I'd need to bolus for the 41gs of carbs).
Gretchen

MM 522 pump since 05/07; CGMS since 11/07

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

pattikins13

pattikins13

• 500 plus
  • 118 posts
why does reheating turn it to regular pasta? In the case i used it was not reheated. (macaroni salad leftovers) does that mean it was still 5 carbs?
Type 2
I mg. Glimperide daily
5/29-10 AIC 6.3
7-12-10- AIC 6.3

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,594 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2

why does reheating turn it to regular pasta? In the case i used it was not reheated. (macaroni salad leftovers) does that mean it was still 5 carbs?

I think reheating is the same as over-cooking, and it has to be cooked EXACTLY according to directions.

As to your macaroni salad, test and see if you notice a difference.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
Dreamfield Pasta has A very low glycemic index of 13 means you may see a lower rise in your blood glucose after eating Dreamfields as compared to traditional white pasta.
Dreamfield Past has 5 grams of digestible carbs which is great for diabetics. Dreamfields also has 5 grams of fiber per serving, similar to whole wheat pasta.

Only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving
• 65% lower glycemic index than regular pasta
• Twice the fiber of regular pasta
• Naturally cholesterol free
• 0 grams of trans fat
• Authentic pasta taste
Dreamfields pasta has fewer digestible carbs, the same high fiber as 2 cups of broccoli, and it can help you manage your blood sugar. Dreamfields even has the great taste and al dente texture of authentic pasta.

Dreamfields contains inulin, a 100 percent natural prebiotic fiber found in common foods such as artichokes, asparagus, garlic and raisins. By providing a food source for the healthy bacteria living in the gut, prebiotics such as inulin may: help promote healthy digestion, support a healthy immune system, and improve calcium absorption.* Inulin is a soluble fiber (like that found in oats, peas and apples) which means it dissolves easily in water and may improve regularity. Soluble fiber may also help reduce cholesterol and glucose levels.

You can do the all FAT diet . The no Carb diet. The eat a slice of bread, and then run around the block four times diet, to keep from spiking. Carbs are necessary for good health. Get on a good blanced diet and controll your BG and enjoy life.
:eek:
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 903 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The effect of the carbs are like eating regular pasta after it's been reheated (as in leftovers). Not sure why.
Gretchen

MM 522 pump since 05/07; CGMS since 11/07

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

You can do the all FAT diet . The no Carb diet. The eat a slice of bread, and then run around the block four times diet, to keep from spiking. Carbs are necessary for good health. Get on a good balanced diet and control your BG and enjoy life.

There are essential dietary Fats and Proteins but so far as we currently know there are no essential Carbohydrates... not that I am recommending it but that does mean we can live healthily without eating ANY Carbohydrates.

As to a "balanced diet" as I keep saying that is not a universal term that means the same thing to everyone.

I would add Don, that not everyone chooses or needs to take insulin as you do... surely that is also part of your BG control?

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

There are essential dietary Fats and Proteins but so far as we currently know there are no essential Carbohydrates... not that I am recommending it but that does mean we can live healthily without eating ANY Carbohydrates.

As to a "balanced diet" as I keep saying that is not a universal term that means the same thing to everyone.

I would add Don, that not everyone chooses or needs to take insulin as you do... surely that is also part of your BG control?

Frank, I assumed being on a diabetic forum we would be referring to balanced diabetic diet! I don't believe I made any mention of essential carbohydrates. You are right I am on insulin and have been for 40 years, does that make me a stupid person? I don't think so. In my opinion a lot of type 2's would have a lot better controll with insulin. Instead of running around the block four times everytime you eat a slice of bread.
DEFINITION OF A BLANCED DIET
Getting all of the vitamins and nutrients you need. not eating too much or too less of something. starving yourself or binging is the farthest from a balanced meal. if you follow the food pyramid you are going to be pretty close to a balanced meal. but getting a good portion of each food group is what a balanced meal is, because you are balancing how much you each in each group. liek if you ate only protein and fat like when you go on the atkins diet, it is not balanced because you are not taking in enough carbs but are taking in too much fat. balanced meal also means not eating too much sweets and sodium, or whatever is bad for the body.
A balanced meal is one which contains a healthy variety of foods, giving you a number of different nutrients, including carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals, possibly fiber, possibly omega-3 fatty acids.

Enjoy they are good!!!:)
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users