supplements - alpha lipoic acid and evening primrose

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

miss djax

miss djax

• 500 plus
  • 179 posts
ok so dr b thinks those 2 supplements can help.

so i bought some at trader joe's. anyone have any experience wtih either one? how long til i should notice a difference?

at a minimum the alpha-lipoic acid should be good for my skin ;)
a1c -
11/09 - 7.5
2/10 - 7.1
5/10 - 6.5
metformin, 1000 x1, 500 x2

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I take 2400mg of ALA and my wife takes 1200mg per day. I haven't taken the evening primrose. The ALA seems to help. I was initially taking it for neurapathy and it did help.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

plattb1

plattb1

• 500 plus
  • 2,071 posts
I take the ALA, too. I have not had problems with neuropathy, but thought I'd try it. I take the R-ALA with biotin because R-ALA affects your body's supply of biotin. If the ALA you are taking does not contain biotin, you might consider taking a separate biotin supplement.

I also take a vegetarian Omega-3 (chia oil), but haven't tried the evening primrose oil.
Barrie

Dx T2 Sept 1999
Latest A1c 6.1 (April 2010)
Metformin 2000 mg daily
Lantus 20 units daily
Ramipril 10 mg daily
Multivitamin, B-12, D-3,
R-ALA/biotin, Omega-3 (chia oil)

Josselyn

Josselyn

• 500 plus
  • 804 posts
I've been taking Insulow for about two months now. I have found that it really helps with glucose uptake. I spike far less and my BG returns to "normal" in about two hours, instead of my usual almost-three hours.

I follow Dr. B's recommended dosage of two capsules three times per day (about every eight hours). The Insulow bottle recommends the dosage a bit differently: 1-2 capsules (related to carb level) 15 minutes before a meal.

I'm very pleased with it and noticed its effects within a day of starting it. I've only just added the Primrose Oil Capsules recently, so I'm unsure as to the effects of that, but Dr. B says it enhances the r-ALA in the Insulow.

Oh! And I agree with Barrie, take the Biotin if using ALA. The Biotin is included with the r-ALA (superior to ALA, by the way) in the Insulow capsules. Biotin is good for skin and nail health too.

Keep us posted!

* DIAGNOSED 5/27/09
* A1c: 05/27/09: 6.6
* A1c: 10/23/09: 6.1
* A1c: 01/21/10: 6.0
* A1c: 04/22/10: 6.0 (sigh) :o
* Home
FBGs now 93 -116
* Failed the OGTT; 288 at 2 hrs. :eek:
* Insulow: 6 caps daily; 2@ 8 hr. intervals.
[/COLOR]

xenablue

xenablue

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
A lot of people take ALA for neuropathy and I've heard that it works for many - not all.

I'm taking it as an experimental supplement cuz it apparently can bring BG numbers down a little, but nothing major to report as yet.

Evening Primrose Oil is great IMHO, but haven't had a use for it since menopause.

It seems to me that some supplements work for some people - perhaps if those people have a deficiency? If it won't do you any harm, then it's worth trying for a while.

Xena

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Type 2
Wouldn't be without my Insulow! Insulow is the r-ala with the required biotin. R-ala is much more potent than regular ala (google the differences between the two).

I follow the 15 min. before meal protocol and find it is helpful even if I only have 6 or 12 carbs.

I take EPO and truthfully, because I take so many other supplements, can't tell if there is a difference. But I wouldn't want to be without my GTF, Benfotiamine, Omega 3's, Phosphadidyl Choline, Resveratrol, Niacin, B's, Co-Q10 and the rest of em either:eek:

Keri

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6
VLC - No Meds

Is2sew

Is2sew

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I take ALA for my neuopathy and it helped quite a bit tho I still have reduced pain most of the day. I also take Evening Primrose Oil to help with cholesteral and lowering blood pressure. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users