Photo

How Long Does Your Insulin Take To Work..?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Sophieee:D

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey.. Was just wondering how long it takes for everyones insulin to kick in. Mine seems to take about 5 hours and was just wondering if anyone else took this long. Oh and I mean fast-acting..
At the moment i'm on Novorapid and if this is not 'normal' what I could do to improve the time taken :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed on 30th April 2004
Got Animas 2020 On 1st October 2010 :D:D:D
Also Taking 75mg Of Thyroxine :P

Mr. Moon

Mr. Moon

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sounds like your insulin is not working properly. This is a "fast-acting" insulin and should be kicking in right after you meal. Check the product insert data sheet included with the insulin for specifics. Talk with your medical professional ASAP and/or get another fresh vial of insulin.

I take Novolog and it begins to work within several minutes after injection. The product insert warns me to make certain to eat within 5 to 10 minutes after injection. It peaks within 3 hours of injection.

Good luck and check your problem out ASAP.

Best regards,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mr. Moon

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
It isn't just one cartridge of it :\ Its been taking that long for a while. Have spoken to Diabetic Nurse and she was supposed to phone back last Tuesday, but she hasnt yet :\
I was okaay with it before and it worked quickly, until about 8 months ago. :S

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts
How much of the injection are you taking, Where are you injecting yourself and what are you eatting.

Taking 5 hours almost tells me you are not taking enough for what you are eatting.

I take Novorapid as well, and a typical meal say 8oz meat, mixed greens, 1/2 a small bake potato and 2 glasses of water i will take 8 units and my 2 hour reading will be just about the same as my premeal.

I know one evening my wife ordered pizza so i i splurged and took 12 units but forgot i took it :( and took 12 more and with in the hour i was going for my tablets to boost my sugar up.

I inject in my stomach rotating around 2 inches away from my belly button.
120 Units Lantus at night | 1/2 unit per carb of NovoRapid
Type II Diagnosed August 2008
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Meet my Daughters... The reason I am here the reason I want to resolve this issue and stay here!!!

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I inject in thighs and stomach, I inejct the correct amount to the carbs I'm eating. I'm a very fussy eater so I eat the same things everyday. Like I have Yorkshire Puddings for dinner every night with nothing else and as tehy are made by my mum we have exactly worked the carbs out to be 25g. And as I'm on 2 units to 10 carbs I will have 5 units. And I'll stay at about 18.0 mmol until 5 hours later when I drop to 4-5 ish mmol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
Some people can develop allergies to certain ingredients used in insulin. Switching to a different brand, like Humalog, may help. I have always used Humalog and generally it starts to work in 15 - 30 minutes.

Starting to work and peaking are two different things. A lot of the fast acting insulins peak at around the 2 hour mark and continue to work for another 2-3 hours. Have you tried testing frequently after your injection to see when it really starts to work?

For example, inject and test 15 minutes later. If your BG is the same, wait another 15 minutes. Keep testing until you see your BG starting to come down.

When you say that you take 2 units for 10 carbs, is that 10g of carb? So you're taking 1 unit for every 5g? That indicates that you've got some insulin resistance, another reason why it can take so long for the insulin to start working. Weight gain, inactivity, other medications can all cause resistance.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
We did the testing every 10 mins, thats how I found out it took 5 hours. And yeah 1 unit to 5g of carbs.
I'm also on 75mg of thyroxine daily for Hypothyroidism... But I've been taking the same of amount of Thyroxine scine before I was diagnosed Diabetic and it never caused a problem before:confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts
What is your premeal reading?

Your 18 when an hour after eating and then continue to be so until 5 hours after the injection?

As said above, one thing that would help would be to do a reading every 30 mins.

Before your first bite and then every 30 mins until your back to your pre meal measurement. Give you an idea of how long it takes.

Then You might just need to take the injection an hour before eating if that's the case. I know a lady local to me is required to take her shot just over an hour before she eats any carbs.
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Meet my Daughters... The reason I am here the reason I want to resolve this issue and stay here!!!

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts

We did the testing every 10 mins, thats how I found out it took 5 hours. And yeah 1 unit to 5g of carbs.
I'm also on 75mg of thyroxine daily for Hypothyroidism... But I've been taking the same of amount of Thyroxine scine before I was diagnosed Diabetic and it never caused a problem before:confused:

Sorry i posted my comments at the same time..

Testing every 10 mins, so what where your numbers like. What was your premeal, then the readings after to what point and then when did it start to decline and by how much?
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Premeal is usually about 8 mmol.
The thing with injecting before is that I cant decide at last minute that I want somethign extra, and I sometimes just decide to snack spontaneously and then take insulin to cover it. Plus it will mean I will lose lots of my freedom :|

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Oh Okaay :T
They stayed at around 17-18 mmol until about later 5 hours then they drop down to about 6 ish mmol in about 10 mins.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts

Premeal is usually about 8 mmol.
The thing with injecting before is that I cant decide at last minute that I want somethign extra, and I sometimes just decide to snack spontaneously and then take insulin to cover it. Plus it will mean I will lose lots of my freedom :|

That's part of our daily routine.

Personally, I eat to maintain my sugars. I try and eat as little carbs / sugars as possible. Whatever it takes to take the least amount of insulin as possible. Which often means i plan my meals days in advance...
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
But being in school and having busy days that I never know what I'm going to be doing the next day, its hard to plan meals and my diet is mainly carbs and I dont eat any meat or vegetables so I cant eat low carbs. :|
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Hey.. Was just wondering how long it takes for everyones insulin to kick in. Mine seems to take about 5 hours and was just wondering if anyone else took this long. Oh and I mean fast-acting..
At the moment i'm on Novorapid and if this is not 'normal' what I could do to improve the time taken :)

Sophie, I have this problem. For many years on injections, rapid insulin did not start working until well into the 1.5 hour mark, often 2, sometimes 3 and 4. It varied for me. If I wanted a reasonable result, I had to take a shot, then test each half hour for every single meal, to discover when the action might be starting to work.

I have not been able to get particular medical help, endos I have seen seem to acknowledge there can be some holdup of insulin for some individuals, but their limits or boundaries to the problem have always been vastly more conservative to what I found and sadly they have been of no help. I hope yours may be more sensible.

When I went onto the pump, I discovered that I could get a much faster and more consistent action of bolus insulin, by having it released slowly into me. Counter-intuitively, I started to get onset of action usually within 30 minutes, by slowing the delivery down to slowly over 30 min or an hour.

By this I deduced that a main problem seems to be some kind of reaction when a certain amount is instantly put into one site at one time. So I experimented with different sized instant deliveries, and for my body, discovered that the holdup problem mostly happens if I inject more that 3 units at once in one place. I assume this is number is quite arbitrary, just the way my body works. If others have the issue, maybe the threshold is quite different.

I suspect, these issues may be allergies to insulin, perhaps a local inflammation inside the site. My thought is that a certain amount of insulin at once sets it off. Now that I am back on shots for the moment, I take many small injections in order to avoid the immense hold ups. I would take something like 15 mini shots for my boluses a day (so for example, if I need 6u for my meal, I'll stab in three places, 2u a piece.). It's better than running high all the time, for food to send me high, for corrections not to work. It doesn't remove the problem of variability with action, but it has helped.

I've related this not to say it is your problem - I don't know - but it is definitely worth seeing if a series of smaller shots avoid the holdup. It might be a similar thing going on for you. Otherwise I would also suggest
- reducing carbs which will reduce your bolus requirements, (why don't you eat meat and veggies? That makes things very hard.)
- making sure your basal insulin is fully doing its job
- trying different rapid insulins, one may work faster and better than the other
- consider a pump if viable, for a number of reasons. If you can borrow one and try square bolusing, it's another good test.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Shadow Shock

Shadow Shock

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Fast-acting Insulin is supposed to peak at about 90 minutes after injection; this allows time for the food that you just ate to be digested, before the Insulin goes into full gear.

It sounds like you need to speak to your Endocrinologist.

strack350

strack350

• 500 plus
  • 273 posts
My Humalog starts to act in about 10 minutes, and REALLY starts to act in 30ish minutes. I feel it keeps working in my body for 2-3 hours.

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts

But being in school and having busy days that I never know what I'm going to be doing the next day, its hard to plan meals and my diet is mainly carbs and I dont eat any meat or vegetables so I cant eat low carbs. :|

I really hate to come off sounding like a Jerk, as I really am not one.. But welcome to the real world!

First you have to admit you have what you have and you have to be fair to yourself. Either you want to live a healthy safe life style or you don't.

Eating mostly carbs is just something a diabetic can't do. Sorry but chin up and accept it. Taking insulin to match your eating wants is not going to get you anywhere.
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,945 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

Eating mostly carbs is just something a diabetic can't do. Sorry but chin up and accept it. Taking insulin to match your eating wants is not going to get you anywhere.

Actually it's a perfectly reasonable treatment plan but that's something for another thread. However it might be worth trying a 'no-carb' day to see the effects.

From the sound of it, I would say that your insulin:carb ratio is off. And your basal is too high. I would reconsider your bolus insulin requirements - don't forget your ratio will vary depending on time of day so it's unlikely you will have a consistent one throughout the day.

Allergies may also be an issue here too - if after bolus testing you're still having issues, you might want to consider going onto Humalog or Apidra, or perhaps one of the animal-derived insulins.

As a separate note, the drop you're having after six hours is massive - if I went from 18 to 6 in 10 minutes I think I'd probably start retching and pass out. Insulin simply cannot work that fast so something is going on which probably needs further investigation by an endo.

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts

Just not true. Not for a type 1. Yes, lower carb is probably easier, but if you're prepared to put in the work and learn the correct ratios (lets exclude my own recent readings as all my basals and ratio's are off at the moment) then it can work, effectively.

There's also a chance that the insulin is just 'pooling' under the skin then being absorbed later on, i've experienced this before i started pumping.

Another thought I had, and sorry it's really basic, but are you washing your hands/fingers before testing? Is it possible that the sample is contaminated by anything before you put it to the meter?

What happens when you go from 18mmol/L to 6mmol/L? do you end up going hypo? That is a massive drop in a short time, and if you don't end up being hypo after that kind of drop that quickly, then I think your meter is possibly suspect!
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
My diabetes team dont think its my food that has anything to do with it. Its what I have eaten for 7 years and it never caused problems. As to why I dont eat meat and veggies just the thought of them makes me feel sick :\ But I have started visiting psychologist to try to find out why. They ovbiously want me to start trying to eat better, but they say there is no rush as I'm healthy besides the diabetes, the only reason they want to try is for problems that may occur later.
Working towards getting pump, doing a 3 month plan with diabetes team. For now they have set up for me to be changed to Apidra until I start the pump.
Yeah, I always wash my hands before checking. We have tried using about 7 different meters incase they were defecting, but every one of them gave the same results.
Well, I did get hypos after the drop, but I now know when I will drop and eat just before to counteract the hypo. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users