Metformin and Muscle Weakness, Pain

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
I was on Metformin once before and got off it for almost a year until my endo wanted me back on [500mg ER tid].

I'm back on it now for about 4 months or so now and have come to notice that my muscles are turning flabby and I'm weak. I have trouble standing in one position [shower] without swaying to the walls. And my legs hurt; my shoulders feel so heavy.

Anyone care to share their muscle-related experiences while on Met? What did you do? If you got off Met did your muscle strength return?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

removethehaze

removethehaze

Banned

• Banned
  • 306 posts
I can't say that I've noticed this, but, anything is possible CALynn. You may want to check with you doctors, and also check on line for possible side effects with Metformin.

In fact, I checked for you, and found on page 2, of this info (at top of page) that muscle pain is possible. Check out this site: [url=http://diabetes.emedtv.com/metformin/metformin-side-effects-p2.html]Metformin Side Effects[/url]

I have noticed muscle weakness and leg tenderness when I'm on Cipro, which is used to treat my constant sinus infections.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul from SoCal :cool:

Brennah

Brennah

• 500 plus
  • 204 posts
Hello Cal, I'm just wondering, are you taking any other meds that could be causing this maybe? This is kinda freaking me out...have been on the fence with beginning Metformin for the first time & this is the first I've ever read about this happening. :eek:

Hope you're feeling better soon whatever it is!!
Bren

Metformin 500ER 1x daily as of 6/10/2010
Metformin 500 ER 2x daily as of 11/2011

A1C:
6.5 (Jan 2010)
6.7 (May 2010)
6.5 (Nov 2010) (I'm seeing a pattern here!)
7.5 !!!!! (Mar 2012) After increasing dosage to 2x daily SMH! - not seeing a positive change with Metformin, considering stopping it!

Having issues with DP and higher 2hrPP levels. helpful suggestions greatly appreciated!

Have a Blessed Day!! :)

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,055 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I've been on metformin for nearly 4 years w/o any type muscle problems. We have many on metformin here on the forums, hopefully they will chime in as well. Hope you get to the bottom of what's causing your muscle weakness soon.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Spaceghost

Spaceghost

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I was on Metformin once before and got off it for almost a year until my endo wanted me back on [500mg ER tid].

I'm back on it now for about 4 months or so now and have come to notice that my muscles are turning flabby and I'm weak. I have trouble standing in one position [shower] without swaying to the walls. And my legs hurt; my shoulders feel so heavy.

Anyone care to share their muscle-related experiences while on Met? What did you do? If you got off Met did your muscle strength return?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

I've been on 1000mg Metformin BID for 2 years and have never experienced this. In fact, after adding Actos and getting my BG levels closer to normal, I've gained about 5 lbs of muscle in the past month from weightlifting and cycling regularly. Of course this is just my experience, but I can't recall seeing any other mention of this side effect in my reading.

Another medication maybe? What are your A1c and diet like?

Space
DX - 2/2008 - A1c=7.6
05/24/10 - A1c=11.0 :mad:

Meds:
ActoplusMet - 850/15 BID
Simvastatin - 40mg
Lisinopril - 20mg
Men's Multi

Diet:
Low-carb ala Dr. Bernstein
6-12-12-6 carbohydrates/meal

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Are you on a statin?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

rmel

rmel

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
I have been on met for about four months now, had to switch to the extended release format, and I have been experiencing joint pain in my elbows. An aching pain. I wonder if this is related? I have been taking DHA supplements and some vitamin B complex and that seems to make it better. Could also be arthritis/rheumatism LOL not getting any younger. Anyone else experience elbow aches on met???

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Although I'm a type 1 pumper, I've taken 500mg Metformin twice a day for the last 7 years without any side effects.

My thought.....if you're on a Statin, I bet that's the culprit!

Karen

Brennah

Brennah

• 500 plus
  • 204 posts

Although I'm a type 1 pumper, I've taken 500mg Metformin twice a day for the last 7 years without any side effects.

My thought.....if you're on a Statin, I bet that's the culprit!

Karen

Would it be the statin alone or the combo of the two? I too have never heard this with metformin.
Bren

Metformin 500ER 1x daily as of 6/10/2010
Metformin 500 ER 2x daily as of 11/2011

A1C:
6.5 (Jan 2010)
6.7 (May 2010)
6.5 (Nov 2010) (I'm seeing a pattern here!)
7.5 !!!!! (Mar 2012) After increasing dosage to 2x daily SMH! - not seeing a positive change with Metformin, considering stopping it!

Having issues with DP and higher 2hrPP levels. helpful suggestions greatly appreciated!

Have a Blessed Day!! :)

jojeti

jojeti

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Statin drugs do that to me. I can't be on them as they were wasting away my muscles.
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 19 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
Diet: Low carb (< 30 gms a day, but try for less than 20 gms/day)
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,188 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I'm on metformin for 2.5 years and have not encountered this at all.

Has you activity level changed recently? How are your BG levels? What other meds are you taking? Have you mentioned this to your Doctor?

Just to clarify something, the link provided by removethehaze and the mention of muscle pain I believe that is in relation to signs of lactic acidosis

Signs of lactic acidosis, including feeling tired or weak, muscle pain, trouble breathing, stomach pain, feeling cold, dizziness or lightheadedness, and a slow or irregular heartbeat (see Metformin and Lactic Acidosis)

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Thanks for the resources, too. I had done a LOT of research on Met before I took it. I take a number of drugs for a different types of autoimmune arthritis and Hashimotos. So I am very careful about mixing drugs, etc. Believe me, NOTHING goes in my stomach without an extensive “read up” on my part. [Drives some doctors nuts.] However, somehow I missed the info on lactose, etc.

I should tell you that I’ve taken Methotrexate for arthritis for years. This drug really does a number on the liver – and since Met acts on the liver, this could well be why I experience some of the symptoms I described. [Yes, my liver function tests are run once every 3 months, if not more frequently, and there’s always a rise in some of them when I’m on Met.]

Statins: Over the years I was on 4 different statins at one time or another and had the same [but much worse] myositis and myalgia from them as I had with Metformin. However, I had quit statins long before I ever took Metformin.

Statins fall in the Cytochrome P450 group.

Quinalones: I also have had allergic reactions to quinalones [e.g., Cipro]. Quinalones fall in the Cytochrome 450 group.

Metformin: Few publications can be found about Met as a P450 drug, so I thought I was safe. I just came across a link that addresses this. I’ll have to go to the list and see which drugs are on isoenzyme P450 [CYP]. I’d rather err on the side of caution in non-life-threatening cases.

See this link for info:
Effects of enzyme inducers and inhibitors on the pharmacokinetics of metformin in rats: involvement of CYP2C11, 2D1 and 3A1/2 for the metabolism of metformin

Pastor Paul supplied an excellent link and I’m repeating it here:
Metformin and Lactic Acidosis

A1C: My last A1C was 2 ½ months ago: 6.1. I’m going for labs this week and will see my endo next week. I’m expecting the A1C will drop to 6.0 or with luck, 5.9.

Davef: My activity level is dramatically reduced since on Metformin. My BG levels have been between 89-114 at wakeup. A1C was 6.1 when last checked.

I hope that I have not alarmed people. Metformin is an excellent drug and only a few of you might experience the side effects that I have. I can tell you that once I got off the statins, within 4-7 days the muscle pain and weakness were gone.

The key is to be AWARE of the possible side effects that VERY FEW people experience. So if my experience holds true for Met, then YOU should not let this POSSIBLE side effect deter you from taking it. If you find the side effect occurs, you can report back to your doctor who will most likely give you another drug.

Rmel: My experience with the pain is uniform and predominantly in the weight bearing joints, though my arms are really heavy. I am certainly not a doctor, but as someone with a number of arthritis diseases, I wonder if you might have something else going on. Incidentally, if you’re a heavy mouser [computers] as I am, this might be the cause. If you think it might be, send me a PM and I’ll discuss the only ergonomic mouse available that I've found. [Many claim to be but few are.]

Do we have a biochemist in this group who can give us a quick overview of cytochromes and isoenzymes?

Welcome to the board, Brennah.

Thanks again to all of you!

Lynn [in CA]

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Cytochrome P450 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This might help, as an overview of CYP450.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian