- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

maggie2010

maggie2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I ate a small potion of mashed potato yesterday, and the 1h number was just fine. Is that mean I can eat mashed potato next time even thought it is white ?

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,194 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

I ate a small potion of mashed potato yesterday, and the 1h number was just fine. Is that mean I can eat mashed potato next time even thought it is white ?

A few questions:
What was your 1 hour number?
What was your 2 hour number?

Two thoughts:
1. Never think you can't eat something, just think there are somethings you either choose not to eat or to eat rarely/in small quantities.
2. Never base a decision on a single result

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,135 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
You will find your carb tolerance will be quite an individual thing. I don't have as much problem with a potato as I do rice or regular pasta...but i'm not a huge potato fan, so I rarely eat them.

Sometimes it will also be dependent on what you eat WITH a particular food. Adding protein or fat may slow the spike and make having a potato with cheese and broccoli on it a better choice than if you just had a potato.

Dave makes an excellent point though...once you make something forbidden, you will want it more (human nature I guess).

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

ramon

ramon

• Seniors
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
Take some cauliflower and boil with a 1/2 potato and then mash together. Might take care of that need and tastes pretty good too.

suhr

suhr

• Members
  • 327 posts
If you had butter and cheese and other fats with your potato, the BG spike might not have happened until 2hr or even 3hrs after you eat. If you really want to know for sure, test once at 1, 2, and 3 hours just to make sure. Then you'll know for the future.
Shayne
36 year old male :cool:
Diagnosed 02/01/2010
02/01/10 > FBS 141, A1c 6.3, Cholesterol 297, Trigs 448 :eek:
04/30/10 > FBS 85, A1c 5.6, Cholesterol 159, Trigs 109 :D :D :D
10/20/10 > FBS 86, A1c 5.1, Cholesterol 175, Trigs 111 :cool:
04/21/11 > FBS 86, A1c 5.2, Cholesterol 190, Trigs 168 :argh:
10/17/11 > FBS 88, A1c 5.5, Cholesterol 195, Trigs 131

Josselyn

Josselyn

• Seniors
  • 804 posts

Hi (and welcome to DF) Maggie.

Did you also test after that to look for a delayed response? Some of us can eat modest (and not-so-modest) portions of mashed potatoes...those mashed with fats, such as milk, real butter, etc. As recommended, the only way is to test it under different conditions. I can eat them later in the day with meat or poultry without much of a rise, I tolerate popcorn too, but rice - white OR brown - sends my BG through the roof. Some people can eat brown rice without a spike.

Despite the many similarities of having D, we each respond differently to various foods at different times under different "operating" conditions. As with many things you'll learn here, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Your job is to learn YOU, and your question was a good one.

Let us know what you've learned once you've tried this a couple more times...ok?

* DIAGNOSED 5/27/09
* A1c: 05/27/09: 6.6
* A1c: 10/23/09: 6.1
* A1c: 01/21/10: 6.0
* A1c: 04/22/10: 6.0 (sigh) :o
* Home
FBGs now 93 -116
* Failed the OGTT; 288 at 2 hrs. :eek:
* Insulow: 6 caps daily; 2@ 8 hr. intervals.
[/COLOR]

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,278 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Welcome to Diabetes Forums, Maggie. You got some great advice above.

I have a fairly good tolerance for mashed potatoes in small amounts if they are home made with boiled potatoes and whole milk. I can't eat instant boxed mashed potatoes.

Make sure you test before you eat the potatoes and again, at least, two hours after you eat them. If your numbers are good, you can assume that you also can have them once in awhile.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
Short answer "yes"... longer answer "it depends" ;) All great advice above :)

dbaratta

dbaratta

• Seniors
  • 1,673 posts

Can you? that is for you to decide, some people can and some people can't. Know your numbers 2 hours post and if you are happy with them don't deny youself the potato.
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
Don't forget to exercise as walking is a good way to control BG's. I am not saying that to eat carbs with exercise as everyone is their own unique system that relate to carbs as everyone has their own level and the knowledge of foods is a very big part in our control of the disease. Take exercise as a part of your diet. :)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

maggie2010

maggie2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank everyone for good advice. I will try next time to test 2h post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users