• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Kimberleyjc

Kimberleyjc

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi all-

i'm wondering what medication people are on besides insulin injections/pump. I've heard of some type 1s being put on metformin?

Also wondering about complications medications- do you take anything for neuropathy, kidneys, heart disease or anything else?

Thanks!

Kim

Diagnosed 1995
A1C: 7/10: 7.2, 10/10: 7.7
Lantus Split, Novolog, ARB Blocker, Statin, Nortryptaline neuropathy pain

Peace, Love, Happiness

Hoping for a cure, always

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

Hi all-

i'm wondering what medication people are on besides insulin injections/pump. I've heard of some type 1s being put on metformin?

Also wondering about complications medications- do you take anything for neuropathy, kidneys, heart disease or anything else?

Thanks!

A few go on metphormin, but most endo's will not want to do this.

Most of us are on ACE inhibitors for kidney protection. Many are on statins for heart disease. I can't help with the neuropathy stuff, yet.

A few also go on something called Symlin. Google "scheiner symlin" It replaces amylin which our dead beta cells don't produce. It's a synthetic hormone to suppress glucagon release and therefore gluconeogenesis. I don't know too much about it as it's not available in Canada. My understanding is it can be very inconsistant. Risk of hypoing escalates. I'm betting they want people who really understand their own behavior before letting them on it.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

SueM

SueM

• 500 plus
  • 1,409 posts
I only use insulin via a pump for my diabetes.
No statins or ace inhibs..... No complications either.
45 years with type 1 diabetes.
Sue
Pumping using bovine insulin. (Pump kindly donated by Solox)

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I'm a type 1 pumper (Novolog) who has been taking Metformin (500-mg) for over 6 years. My Endo & I feel it helps to keep my weight steady, and I truly feel that it is.

I also take 10mg Crestor for cholesterol.

Karen

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts
Take an ARB for kidneys as a protective measure (ACE inhibitors made me cough too much and since I have asthma that's a concern). That medication will change next month since it's not pregnancy approved. I took symlin at one point but the previous poster was correct, you need very good control to be on it and prevent hypos, it helped me lose a lot of weight though :) Take meds also for migraines and asthma and OTC stuff to help with digestion since I have gastroparesis. If I'm going to have a meal that's super tough to digest I have reglan but I can't use it often and in 2 months at all during TTC time.

Fawn

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
I'm using Novolog and Levemir - no other meds.

Jen

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I use Humalog in a pump. I also take Levoxyl for my thyroid and Advair for asthma. Insulin is the only drug I've ever used to treat my diabetes. No complications so no meds for anything like that.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Gwennie

Gwennie

• 500 plus
  • 183 posts

Is there a reason that endos don't want people on metformin?

Gwennie
Dxed 5/20/10
HbA1c 8.4 :(
7/14/10 HbA1c 7.0 ;)
Metformin 500mg/2x daily
Synthroid (just started that too)
Low carb diet
On numerous supplements and fish oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Is there a reason that endos don't want people on metformin?

Gwennie

It is so CHEAP, too ...
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

strack350

strack350

• 500 plus
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia
  • I am a:Type 1
Along with Levemir, and Humalog I take Avapro.

Gwennie

Gwennie

• 500 plus
  • 183 posts

It is so CHEAP, too ...

Still confused. They don't want people to be on it because it is cheap?? Any other reasons?

Gwennie
Dxed 5/20/10
HbA1c 8.4 :(
7/14/10 HbA1c 7.0 ;)
Metformin 500mg/2x daily
Synthroid (just started that too)
Low carb diet
On numerous supplements and fish oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
I think you may have misunderstood Linda's comment - I think she meant that it's surprising that more T1's don't take it since it's so cheap.

Some doctors do prescribe it for T1's with insulin resistance and to deal with glucose release by the liver. Many T1's are insulin sensitive and don't need help in that area. And some Endos just don't consider when it might be useful for T1's.

Jen

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
There are times I would love to shut my stupid liver off!! I have no problems with resistance other than the periods where, for no known reason, I end up needing 50% more insulin for a few days and at times, weeks. Then things suddenly return to normal. For the most part it's not a problem. I do hate liver dumps, though, but I'm not really wanting to take a pill with unpleasant side effects to see if it makes enough of a difference.

Is there an increased hypo risk for Type 1s taking metformin? When I was on MDI and would have severe lows as I slept my liver was the only thing that saved me as I was unable to move and get something to treat the low. With a pump I'm not nearly as worried about overnight lows but I still wouldn't want to take a chance.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

jaxsmomma

jaxsmomma

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I was diagnosed at age 18 (almost 4 yrs ago) with type 1 diabetes and was immediately put on insulin. Humalog insulin is the only med that I've ever used to treat my diabetes. I used insulin via injection for 2 yrs and finally got my Animas Ping pump about 2 yrs ago. I absolutely love it and I really believe it has saved my life (It's so much easier and convenient). I also take Synthroid (Levothyroxin) for my thyroid.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type 1 Diabetic - Diagnosed 2006
Animas Ping Pumper: Humalog Insulin
Hypothyroid: Synthroid/Levothyroxine
A1C @ Diagnosis: 14.3 :eek:
Last A1C: 5.9 :D

Baby Boy due: Aug 9, 2010!!

Kimberleyjc

Kimberleyjc

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
I take an ACE inhibitor and a statin also. Just started meds for neuropathy. The doctor suggested adding metformin, but mystomach can't tolerate it.

Kim

Diagnosed 1995

Peace, Love, Happiness

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Is there an increased hypo risk for Type 1s taking metformin? When I was on MDI and would have severe lows as I slept my liver was the only thing that saved me as I was unable to move and get something to treat the low. With a pump I'm not nearly as worried about overnight lows but I still wouldn't want to take a chance.

Liz, I can only relate my experience, with either 500 or 1000mg of met ER (the long lasting stuff). I have found that as well as decreasing a tendency to biologically spike from ?? influences such as temperature, stress, etc, and decreasing slightly the spike from carbs, I tend to have less severe hypos as well.

This is my thought why, though I don't know for sure. Met doesn't seem to completely stop you from storing glucagon/glucose, it mainly seems to throttle the extremes back. In my case, a typical scenario is that I have a lot of basal spiking/liver release through the day, and come the evening I switch to having a tendency for nasty hypos, even given pulling back on basal with the pump.

My conjecture is that I have a liver that likes to switch on when I get moving in the morning, and basically exhaust itself on a daily basis. What happened when I added the met, was that I didn't get such an upward push during the day, and I didn't get the downward severity with hypos in the evening (and recovery was easier, so I assume a little more help metabolically).

I don't think my spike through the day is typical, but that is what I found for myself and might provide some basis for comparison. It seemed to increase stability, not decrease ability to recover from a hypo.

I do find I can't stomach much (hence I'm back on 500mg, at this rate it has no GI side effects) and the effect is not very strong - but for me worth the tradeoff of cost, taking the pills, minor side effects etc. I've had a query raise in my head lately, as I have had a tender liver area and my enzymes were slightly raised leading my endo to mutter about fatty liver, which has never happened before. (I need to investigate those test results further with my GP, who ironically is the one I can talk through issues in detail). It's on the possible culprit table for me right now, (for what, not quite sure) so I'm not currently fully endorsing it myself!
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Patriots62

Patriots62

• 500 plus
  • 590 posts
I am on the laundry list of cooly colored pills for the stated reasons:

Glimepiride 1mg x 2 daily to control sugar (replaced Metformin)
Pioglitazone 30 mg (morning) 15mg (evening) to stimulate insulin/cell absorption; also referred to as Actos
Lisinopril 5mg x 1 daily for kidney wear and tear
Clopidogrel 75mg x 1 daily for heart disease prevention (I'm allergic to Aspirin)
B12 1000mg x 1 daily for neuropathy
Fish Oil tablet x 1 daily for beta stimulation
Doug

Diagnosed 22/12/09:eek:
A1c then 12.2:eek:
T2::(
A1c as of 5/5/12 6.1 :D
A1c as of 11/5/13 6.0 :D
Meds:
1x 1mg Amuril
1x 500mg Metformin
1x 5mg Lisinopril

prayingforacure

prayingforacure

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Most of us are on ACE inhibitors for kidney protection. Many are on statins for heart disease. I can't help with the neuropathy stuff, yet.

A few also go on something called Symlin. Google "scheiner symlin" It replaces amylin which our dead beta cells don't produce. It's a synthetic hormone to suppress glucagon release and therefore gluconeogenesis. I don't know too much about it as it's not available in Canada. My understanding is it can be very inconsistant. Risk of hypoing escalates. I'm betting they want people who really understand their own behavior before letting them on it.

Hi X-menace, I have not heard of ACE inhibitors, is that more for adults with type1 who have diabetes for years?

deafmack

deafmack

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi X-menace, I have not heard of ACE inhibitors, is that more for adults with type1 who have diabetes for years?

Ace Inhibitors are a common blood pressure medication. The most common one that I know of is Lisinopril. The one side effect is the nagging cough that seems to accompany this medication. And it can be started at anytime if a person has higher than normal blood pressure. The cough can be more than annoying as it disrupts sleep and everything else. If you are put on it and have the cough ask the doctor to use something else such as an ARB

Kimberleyjc

Kimberleyjc

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
I take an ACE inhibitor to protect the kidneys from the high bgs. I also take a statin to protect against heart disease.
My blood pressure is actually normal, and my cholesterol is good, but for diabetics, the doctors want it beyond good.

Kim

Diagnosed 1995

Peace, Love, Happiness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users