- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

CHACHA50

CHACHA50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:eek: My feet are killing me..this is my first experience with my feet hurting and toes numb or tingling. My feet are swelling too could this be due to my unstabilized sugar??? I can't seem to get it down past 158 even with my insulin and 2,000 mg of metformin and actos.

Tomorrow I am getting the ultrasound on my liver too...my side has really been painful too..

Can anyone relate and give me some insight???

Thanks again for your shoulder!!

Terrie :hypocrite

ADE

ADE

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Terrie,
I'm sorry to hear about what you're having. Many people experience this situation when their glucose level is high. Bringing down your glucose level sounds like one of the best option. One way to do it is by strict lo-carb diet and exercise. For example, my diet is mostly vegetables and soy products (tofu, Boca burger, vegetarian sausage, etc.). When your feet are hurting, it could be almost imposible to exercise. However, you could do some walking in the swiming pool. You may want to read a book by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein 'Diabetic solution'. In that book, he talked about the symptom that you're having as Diabetic neuropathy. The book also mention about a supplement 'Evening primerose oil' to help that condition. Other people mention about using Alpha Lipoic Acid to help them relieve the symptom. But you have to remember about taking supplement, one is that YMMV (your mileage may vary) and two is that you need to inform your health team about your situation and what you are trying to do. I, myself, emphasize on a good diet and alot of exercise to maintain good glucose level. I hope everythings will turn OK. Take care.

CHACHA50

CHACHA50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:) Thank you ADE for your response. I too have heard about evening primrose..how do you use this? massage or internally. I have done the water therapy and I love it when I am able to do it..I am in a flare right now.. I have rhumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and since one of my meds has temporarily been taken away I have been in a great deal of pain. I am praying alot.

I would like to hear more about the evening primrose and any other natural remedies.. I have also heard that cinnamon helps lower BS.

Good Evening!
Terrie

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• 500 plus
  • 757 posts

:) I have rhumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and since one of my meds has temporarily been taken away I have been in a great deal of pain.

This could certainly be a good reason that you can't get your sugar down. Your body is under stress and your liver is pumping glucose - the more your medication tries to get your sugar down, the more your liver pumps (this is an effect that my doctor warned me about when I started with Type 2 diabetes). This is common problem for Type 2 people, since the only way we normally have of getting the sugar down is to exercise it off. Maybe your diabetes advisers need to consider a different type of insulin. I can't suggest which one, but when I was first diagnosed I was told that if the medication didnt' work they could give me a short course of insulin to get the sugar down (from 414) in order to give the medication a chance to get going - so there must be a choice.

The really good thing would be for your doctor to get you out of pain so that your liver stops pumping glucose.

Good luck.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

ADE

ADE

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Terrie,
I experimented taking the 'Evening primerose oil' before for a few months. It's an herbal supplement in the form of gel capsul and I took it internally. I bought mine from Costco and the price is quite reasonable. You can find this in any drug stores. Please don't go to the fancy herbal stores and pay the hefty price. Besides the 1 teaspoon of cinamon powder with my coffee, I also take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar prior to each meal. Please do some googling under vinegar and diabetes. There was a study done in US on the benefit of vinegar and lowering the BG/cholesterol. A few months ago, I also experimented with another herbal supplement 'Gymnema Sylvestre'. There were some studies done on this herb but most of them were done in India. I can not say much about this herb nor the other supplements because I brought my glucose level with lo-carb diet and daily exercise prior to taking these supplements. I've been taking cinamon with my coffee since I stopped using sugar/condensed milk to sweeten it. Vinegar is a cheap kitchen utensil. Other than cinamon and vinegar, I will not spend more money for unproven herbal remedies. I hope and pray for you that you'll get over your pain and can start your exercise again to bring down your glucose. Take care yourself and talk to you soon.

byu barry

byu barry

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Terrie:

How long have you been dxd?

Are you over weight?

What was your initial A1C?

BYU Barry

CHACHA50

CHACHA50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
BYU BERRY,
THANKS FOR WRITING...IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTIONS: I WAS DX'D ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO BUT MANY YEARS AGO THEY TOLD ME I WAS BORDERLINE SO GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW LONG I HAVE BEEN DIABETIC, YES I AM OVERWEIGHT, MY A1C LST CHECKED WAS LIKE 8.9 .
I WILL BE SEEING MY DOC TOMORROW AND I HOPE TO HAVE RESULTS OF MY ULTRASOUND ON MY LIVER I HAVE BEEN IN TERRIBLE PAIN NOW IT WAS EVEN PAINFUL WHEN THEY DID MY ULTRASOUND. PAIN RIGHT AT THE TIP OF MY CHEST BONE AND R SIDE OF RIB CAGE AND BACK..

I THINK I JUST NEED AN OVER HAUL..... :whistling [/COLOR]

CYA!
T

byu barry

byu barry

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
The reason I asked was because I was having the same problems with my feet which led to my dx. Once I got my my bs down they started getting better. It takes a while but the condition seemed to reverse. It was actually kind of wierd because I thought they were getting worse at first but someone told me they hurt worse when they begin healing. I now try to keep my bs between 80 and 120. Also I take the ALA and evening primrose oil. I really hope you get a good report from the DR. and you are able to lower the glucose. This condition can be maddening.

CHACHA50

CHACHA50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well Good news my ultrasound on my liver is good...my sugar is coming down and my doc was happy too! I received some info on a diabetic site and was wondering if you of you have heard of it diabeticine it sound real interesting it is all natural I think I am gonna try it and consult my doctor. Let me know wht you all think.

Terrie

ADE

ADE

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Dear Terrie,
If you read the ingredient of 'Diabeticine', you will see that they are using bitter melon, cinamon, gymnema sylevestre, banaba, etc. My wife cooks bitter melon for dinner and when I check my glucose 2 hr after, my glucose would drop quite a bit. I also use 1 tea spoon of cinamon powder with my morning coffee to sweetened it since I stopped using sugar/condensed milk. These 2 items are very cheap. I have many Phillipinos friends who have many relatives in Phillipine. When their relatives come back home, they would bring me some banaba leaves which have been sundried. I would use the dried banaba leaf with my bitter melon tea. You can buy bitter melon tea bags any Chinese/Asian supermarket. I did buy Gymnema sylvetre herbal supplement in the vitamin store and it didn't cost that much. Other than the bitter melon, the rest of the supplements didn't effect my glucose that much. Please don't spend too much money on those unwarranted claim of herbal supplement. I would concentrate more on the diet and exercise. Take care.

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• 500 plus
  • 757 posts
The effect of these natural remedies (like the conventional medicines), from what I have read vary very much from individual to individual, so it is wise to try them if one wants to have a go, but don't be disappointed if they don't work. If they don't work, just stop using them.

In my own case, having read how good cinammon powder is, I tried one teaspoon a day for six weeks - and it made not the slightest bit of difference. This was when my sugar was about 15mmmole/l (270mg/dl) - so I stopped using it. Conventional medication got me down to 6 (108) and I haven't since felt the need to try it.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

donnakc

donnakc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I use evening primrose oil too. I get mine at Wal-Mart. I also take another herb that is mainly bitter melon and it has helped my feet. My burned, tingled and hurt 24 hrs a day. At the same time I started the bitter melon I started another herb that helps with lower my bs and it may have helped my feet too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users