18 replies to this topic

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
The past week, I have had an awful time with quicksets. Up until now they have worked terrific, but now I have had one box that the cannula failed four times. Each time I removed the cannula it was bent in half. No alarms went off so some insulin must have made its way out. However, obviously not enough. Last night my blood sugar hit 546 after dinner. I took out the cannula and it was bent under the IV tape. I put in a new set with no IV tape this time and found I was high again this morning. I figured it was because of the high number last night and did a correction by needle. By lunch, my numbers were still high so I bolused high for lunch. I took a nap and woke up at 502. Took out the cannula and bent again. I called MiniMed and they are sending me a new set called the Mio.

Has anyone tried the Mio and what has the results been for you. I have been using the quicksets for nine years so this will be a whole new ballgame. If they don't work, I will look for something else. The Mio's were designed for kids and they are a goofy pink color, but whatever. They each have an insertion device attached. Interesting....

So....have you tried em? What do you think?
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
I tried a box of them. I liked them. The longer tubing lengths don't come in colors. The built in inserter is nice, and acts as a mini-sharps container as well. I found them relatively pain free to insert, and pretty comfortable to wear. They didn't stick well for me. I find them a bit wasteful. I also found the site to be a bit noticeable under tighter clothes.

I think I'll be sticking with my silhouettes. While I had no real problems with the Mios, I tend to overall do better with angled sets than straight ones.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I got a box of the Mios with my last order. When I got my first pump in 2005 I was sent Quick-Sets and they worked okay for a few months and then I had nothing but problems with them so I switched to Silhouettes. I was afraid to try another 90 degree teflon cannula but I figured one box would be okay. I've only used 3 of them so far, I think. The built-in inserter is a little tricky to get used to so my first two insertions took awhile because I kept re-reading the instructions to make sure I didn't mess it up. The sets are bulkier than I thought they would be (once inserted) and the adhesive pad isn't as big as it should be. These sets are the same as the Animas Inset and a lot of people report that it can be hard to remove the inserter once the cannula is in. I was very careful about pulling the inserter away and tried to get a finger underneath to apply pressure to the tape as I pulled it off. All 3 of the sets I tried worked just fine and I was able to remove the inserter without pulling the set out.

They do come in clear as well as pink and blue. Unless you set is visible to others nobody but you will ever see the color. According to the main MM site the clear comes in both 6mm & 9mm cannula lengths but their online store only shows 6mm. I got pink in 6mm with 32" tubing.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts

They do come in clear as well as pink and blue. Unless you set is visible to others nobody but you will ever see the color. According to the main MM site the clear comes in both 6mm & 9mm cannula lengths but their online store only shows 6mm. I got pink in 6mm with 32" tubing.

It must be because I got 9mm cannula that I didn't have colors as a choice. I'm wondering if I needed the 9mm cannula now, because I thought I would being heavier, but now BD is marketing new tiny pen needles that they say were successfully used in trials with people up to a BMI of 49. My BMI is no where near 49, and those of 4mm vs. 6mm for the pump set. So maybe I would be okay? I would think if insulin through a needle could get there, insulin through a cannula could.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
When I started pumping I was using 9mm Quick-Sets. After I started having problems they sent me some 6mm but it wasn't any better. When I ordered the Mios I only saw 6mm on the site so that's what I got and they've been fine. I also recently dug up some 9mm Sof-Sets I had from 5 years ago and have used a few of those with no problems. The 6mm Mios are more comfortable. I have enough flab on my belly to use the 9mm but I was amazed that I could feel the Sof-Set at times and it was starting to annoy me. I did not feel the Mio once it was in.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There is an instruction video on the MM site for insertion of the Mio's. I watched it, but I guess you have to have it in your hand. It made sense, but some steps were left out I think.

I will be careful when removing the inserter....thanks poodle. I got the 6mm because 9mm quicksets kinked on me. I thought about the sure-t's, but the metal part just spooked me a bit.

I have no idea why my quicksets have started to fail me. My BMI is something like 26 last time I checked, I don't think I need the 9mm, but who knows.

I hate change....
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
The Sure-T needle really isn't scary. It's very short and thin. I have to say that in certain areas I can feel it and it hurts, but in other areas I don't know it's there. I love using them for arm sites but I have to use the 43" tubing from my Silhouettes with them when I do that. I like to use as many sites as possible so I don't overuse any areas and that's why I use a variety of sets. I use 13mm Silhouettes most often.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

JJM335

JJM335

• Seniors
  • 759 posts
Nancy:

Have your tried the Silhouettes? If you are thin(nish), you might want to try the 13 mm ones. They look scary but I find them pain/discomfort free and very reliable. I insert them manually and I have never had one kink.

Joel

T1 since 1977
MM522/Apidra since July 08
Animas Vibe/Humalog since Nov 13
CGM - Self Funded - now with Dexcom G4

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,039 posts
When I got my Revel, they sent me QuickSets. I like them pretty well. When I was on the Cozmo, I used the Cleos. The Mio looks similar to a Cleo but I can't be sure unless I'm holding one.
Nancy, let us know how you fare with the Mio's.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• Seniors
  • 1,116 posts
I am new to pumping....only 3 months. But teflon devices only worked 1/2 the time for me so I am using steel now and manual insertion.

Mmanual insertion is no worse than doing the injections. Actually I don't like the surprise of not knowing when an insertion tool will release.:eek:

I discovered why the Quickset, Quickset 30 and Cleos only worked half the time...........There seem to be areas on my belly that even a steel needle simply will not penetrate. So it is no wonder I was getting kinks in the cannula :D with an insertion device. The areas with tough skin have never previously been used for injections when I was doing MDI.

I hope yoiu figure something out soon.

Richyboy

Richyboy

• Members
  • 100 posts
Just ordered the longer 32" quicksets and 2 boxes of MIO's to try in the 9mm length. I am going on a plane trip next month so it will be on less thing to pack, that is::T the inserter.

pinkbenjiblue

pinkbenjiblue

• Seniors
  • 617 posts
Hi Nancy, I too hate change and suprises since getting diabetes. that being said, if not for the "changes" i would still not have realized that I was allergic to both the plastic canulla and the humalog...I kept trying, now I think I got it. Lovin the sure t, many thanks, u know who u r, for the support through the forum and im.....do not give up....u will get this to work for you. So glad that I stuck it out!! Renee:)
:wink: :)

Richyboy

Richyboy

• Members
  • 100 posts
I tried one of the new MIOs today. I took a large bolus because I had corn on the cob and a baked potato. It felt kinda wet afterwards. Not sure if the cannula is in or is kinked or bent. My bs went up but now is going down. I will see where my bs is tonight. :confused:

Richyboy

Richyboy

• Members
  • 100 posts
Update: Bs stayed in the 180's/190's. I pulled out the set. The cannula was completely bent over. I put in a quickset and bolused.

Richyboy

Richyboy

• Members
  • 100 posts
Well, this time I inserted it ok and my bs have been just great, never better. I feel a whole lot better I don't have to call customer service to return the Mio's.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
So far, I am loving the Mio's. They are working well, no kinks so far and I like they way they connect. I do find the inserter, cheap and kinda dumb, but I can live with it.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aggie168

aggie168

• Seniors
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationTexas
I got to try one a couple of weeks ago at the ADA Expo in San Antonio, Texas. I have to insert it right there under the supervision of one of the "Educator". The can not just let me go home with one in my hand.

It feels OK. The full tape of the Quickset do feel more sure though as the Mio does not have tape on the full surface. The 32" length of the tubing may not work out as good. I am use to the freedom of the 43" on the Quickset. I may still get one box next time to give it a longer trial. It does come in handy for trips with the build in Serter. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Humalog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

10/2014 A1C 5.6 Chol=141 Trig=75 HDL=49 LDL=77
05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I just called Minimed to place an order even though it was a little too early but I'm going away at the end of the month. I asked for 2 boxes of Silhouettes and 2 boxes of Mios, both with 32" tubing. I've found that the 32" is plenty long although one time I did almost pull the pump off the sink when I reconnected after my shower. When wearing the pump I've decided the 32" is the best for me.

I also think the Mio could use a little more adhesive (bigger pad) but I didn't have any problems with it staying down. The profile wasn't as flat as I hoped but I do like being able to point the tubing in whatever direction I want. With Silhouettes, since I insert manually, I can only really insert them horizontally on my abdomen.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
The adhesive is on all side of the pad on the Mio, but the side that the tubing is attached is a little less stuck down so you can get your fingers under the connector to pinch it to take it off. I like the smaller size of the pad and mine stuck to my skin very well. I do know that different skin types have problems with adhesive. I like the fun of the pink connection. (they come in blue too).
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users