- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Sophieee:D

Sophieee:D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Well My Mum Has Said I Can Get Nose Pierced In The 6 Weeks Holiday... But I Need To Ask Diabetic Nurse First... Just Wondered If Anyone Here Had Nose Piercings And If Their Diabetes Affected Healing Etc..? :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed on 30th April 2004
Got Animas 2020 On 1st October 2010 :D:D:D
Also Taking 75mg Of Thyroxine :P

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
No experience with it, but if you keep your blood sugars controlled, it should not be a problem!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Delphinus

Delphinus

• Seniors
  • 2,456 posts

Well My Mum Has Said I Can Get Nose Pierced In The 6 Weeks Holiday... But I Need To Ask Diabetic Nurse First... Just Wondered If Anyone Here Had Nose Piercings And If Their Diabetes Affected Healing Etc..? :)

My daughter got her ears pierced when she was five. Was a bit young in my opinion but her mom and she overuled me. :D

She didn't have diabetes at that point tho. She was diagnosed at six.

As Linda mentioned, healing will be no trouble if there is any bleeding if your glucose is maintained, and the fact you are young.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 diabetic. Son of a Type1 diabetic. Father to a Type1 diabetic.

+++ Jason

RCLafnjack

RCLafnjack

• Members
  • 297 posts
Well `:>
I get led around by the nose more than I care to admit, could only imagine how it would be with a ring in it...

ps.
for those of you that are humor challenged... that was a joke....LOL....and I couldn't resist
RCLafnjack aka Tim Stubbe
type 2 june 23rd 2010

If you learn a recipe you will make a great dish, If you learn a technique you will make hundreds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tim Stubbe's Kitchen

A1C
Jun 2009 - 9.3
June 2010 - 5.4
WEIGHT
Jun 2009 - 287
June 2010 - 212
Metformin 500mg 1x day
Victoza 0.6 1x day
Glipizide 1/2 5mg 1x day

Mediterranean/Low Carb Diet & 8-12 hours of exercise a week

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
Have not pierced my nose but I've had 5 holes in each ear at times. Only the fifth hole, which was higher up on the lobe, caused any problems. Both finally got so painful I had to remove the earrings and let the holes close. I don't know if it was an infection but they were both very red, hot and hurt like you wouldn't believe! That went away once I took out the earrings. I have also gotten a tattoo with no ill effects.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
Yes I pierced my own ears, as a kid and do NOT recommend it -- infections, both sides, lasted for weeks and I had to soak my lobes in the tub to get rid of it. Course, bacteria then were not so commonly resistant, as now! :eek:

And we did not have mall shops to do it -- you had to go to a plastic surgeon!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

gillianoleary

gillianoleary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have had my nose and various other things pierced, 19 in total. I have been a Type 1 since I was 2 years old.
Never had any problems apart from the initial pierce pain!!
I have also had umpteen tattoos with no problems.
They have all healed quickly and nicely.
My best advice is follow their instructions post piercing and go to a reputable and licensed piercer.

networkguy

networkguy

• Members
  • 451 posts
I have several piercings...all healed fine.

Lizzie G

Lizzie G

• Seniors
  • 1,076 posts
no reason you shouldnt but think carefully about it....it might not seem so cool in a few years time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lizzie
Type 1
Mum to Samuel, born 09 Sept 2011 and James, born 10 Feb 2014
Latest HbA1C: 5.8%

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

no reason you shouldnt but think carefully about it....it might not seem so cool in a few years time.

Ahh, nose piercings that were tired of just look like acne scars.

Everyone told me that once I pierced my ears, I would have to wear earrings for the REST OF MY LIFE. I probably look lazy for not wearing em much now, but frankly my eyesight is such that I do not notice so tough. :D
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

Everyone told me that once I pierced my ears, I would have to wear earrings for the REST OF MY LIFE. I probably look lazy for not wearing em much now, but frankly my eyesight is such that I do not notice so tough. :D

After losing so many earrings (always just one of each pair, of course) I finally got fed up with them and took them all out one day about 4 years ago. I have not worn any since and I think all of the holes are closed now. My initial piercing was done by a neighbor with a needle & thread when I was about 9 or 10 years old. For Christmas one year my mother bought me little mice earrings that I loved. One night while sleeping one of the earrings got caught on the pillowcase. When I woke up and moved my head the earring tore halfway through the lobe. I started screaming, Mom came running. She couldn't get the earring out at all and ended up having to pull it through the last bit of earlobe. I let that heal for a couple of years and then had it redone at a jewelry store. Where those holes were now looks like a small slit/scar but it's not open. Even though that hole had been pierced since I was a kid it still closed up after not wearing earrings for a few years. I can see the bottom 3 piercings on each ear, it looks like a little dot/scar. Nothing awful. The top two hadn't been around long enough to cause a scar I guess.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Nicci

Nicci

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I've had my ears pierced 5 (more) times, had my lip pierced (thankfully I got rid of that one!), had my tongue & belly button done, and have had 2 tattoos since getting diabetes when I was 11.

Never once has my diabetes ever caused any problems with them. I did have my belly button reject the first time, but that was because I was young, and I played with it, didn't look after it etc.

I've had doctors tell me I shouldn't get pierced because it "takes to long for my body to heal" or get tattoos because "it's more likely to get infected". Clearly I proved them wrong :P

Just make sure you don't touch it, and when you do, your hands are clean. Keep up with sea salt soaks, and make sure you don't get pierced with a gun, because they are full of germs and bacteria, and even if they are one use only, the idea of pushing something blunt into your nose just doesn't sound as appealing as a sharp needle.

I tend to go in with my sugar a bit higher because the rush makes me go low :(

Another thing to keep in mind is that a nostril piercing can take 2-3 months to heal.

Ahh, nose piercings that were tired of just look like acne scars.

And you generally can't even notice them even if you are close up. No one sees my old lip piercing hole unless I point it out. And you may be lucky and have no scarring at all, like my friend after she removed her nose piercing.
Dx Dec 1st 1999
Animas 2020 Insulin Pump "Petey"
Using Novorapid
27/04/2010 :):)

A1C
21/05/09 - 9.7 :(
23/04/10 - 10.3 :mad:

stardustshadow

stardustshadow

• Seniors
  • 572 posts
I love my nose piercing, and I am 32. I got it about 10 years ago...I don't think I will ever take it out. I know some people don't like them, but it is a part of who I am. I have a tiny diamond stud in it...and I think it is pretty!:)

By the way, it smarts only for a moment (your eyes will tear up) and will be a little sore for a couple of weeks, but it doesn't really bleed. I don't think diabetes is going to be a problem at all!!

Enjoy your piercing!:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed May 21, 2010
A1c: 7.1
Blood glucose:405 mg/dl:eek:

Oct 14,2010
A1c: 5.07

Feb 15th, 2011
A1c: 4.7

May 26th, 2011
A1c: 5

Metformin 500 x 3
Low carb diet
Vitamin D, 10 micrograms
Fish oil capsules
calcium and chromium supplements

Kicking Diabetes in the *** one day at a time;)
So far after diagnosis: -64 pounds

Follow my blog about diabetes and low carb eating on Tumblr! (http://goldstarrgirl.tumblr.com/)

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• Seniors
  • 1,564 posts
I completely agree with the above poster :thumbsup:

I'm in my mid-thirties and have my nose pierced and I love it! I've had it for so long that I even forget that I have one! I wear a ring through mine and alternate between a ring and a stud.

Make sure you go to a reputable body piercer who is fully licensed and uses sterile equipment.

Let us know how you go and post a pic of your new piercing when you get it done. :)

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

aiah23

aiah23

• Seniors
  • 1,748 posts
I had no problems getting my ears pierced or my 3 tattoos. That said, I decided not to get my nose pierced b/c I have chronic allergies:( Thought it'd look pretty cute but didn't think I could handle that plus the high point in the allergy season so I never got it done. Following post-piercing directions to letter and monitoring your blood sugars will give you a good idea of how well you're healing :)

Fawn

dbaratta

dbaratta

• Seniors
  • 1,673 posts

No experience with it, but if you keep your blood sugars controlled, it should not be a problem!

Makes sense to me. :) I don't think I would do it though.
A1C JULY 2010 5.9%
A1C March 2010 6.2%
Lantus 16 units split dose
Novolog as needed

:aetsch:

gizmokitty

gizmokitty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I love my nose piercing! I'm 32 and have had it since I was in my later teens. I have had up to 20 piercings at once, but I took some of them out, so now I only have 7 (1 in both ears, tongue, nose, tragus, rook, belly) and sometimes I will put earrings in the 2nd holes in my ears, since those are still open; but normally I don't wear those. I also have 4 tattoos, all on my back. I never had ANY problems with my diabetes when I got any of them. The only one I had a problem healing with was the piercing in my belly button (none for my tats), and it ended up being because of an allergy to the metal used, so I have a gold barbell in now that fixed the problem. Have fun!
--Ali

T1 for 27 yrs
Lantus/Apidra
Lisinopril/Amlodipine/Synthroid

"Take life as it come. Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can." - Elyas Machera in Robert Jordan's Eye of the World

stardustshadow

stardustshadow

• Seniors
  • 572 posts

I love my nose piercing! I'm 32 and have had it since I was in my later teens. I have had up to 20 piercings at once, but I took some of them out, so now I only have 7 (1 in both ears, tongue, nose, tragus, rook, belly) and sometimes I will put earrings in the 2nd holes in my ears, since those are still open; but normally I don't wear those. I also have 4 tattoos, all on my back. I never had ANY problems with my diabetes when I got any of them. The only one I had a problem healing with was the piercing in my belly button (none for my tats), and it ended up being because of an allergy to the metal used, so I have a gold barbell in now that fixed the problem. Have fun!

He he!! You sound like me!:) I used to have 12 in each ear, nose, eyebrow, tongue, navel and a nipple..! I got rid of the eyebrow and tongue :( because I just couldn't deal with taking them out all of the time for work. The navel had to go because it was the only one I had that never properly healed...but I still have the others. I don't use all of them in the ears (and some healed up) but the rest can be used if I choose.
I also have 2 tats on my back...

As an anthropologist, I wrote a thesis on body modification that I presented at a social sciences symposium, so it was a bit of a personal AND academic interest!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed May 21, 2010
A1c: 7.1
Blood glucose:405 mg/dl:eek:

Oct 14,2010
A1c: 5.07

Feb 15th, 2011
A1c: 4.7

May 26th, 2011
A1c: 5

Metformin 500 x 3
Low carb diet
Vitamin D, 10 micrograms
Fish oil capsules
calcium and chromium supplements

Kicking Diabetes in the *** one day at a time;)
So far after diagnosis: -64 pounds

Follow my blog about diabetes and low carb eating on Tumblr! (http://goldstarrgirl.tumblr.com/)

jaxsmomma

jaxsmomma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Yea, Dont Even Worry About It. I Got My Nose Pierced... Just Keep Your Sugars In Good Control And You Should Heal Up Just Fine. All I Did To Clean It Was Q-tip It With Salt Water (inside & Out) A Few Times A Day. Good As New In A Wk...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type 1 Diabetic - Diagnosed 2006
Animas Ping Pumper: Humalog Insulin
Hypothyroid: Synthroid/Levothyroxine
A1C @ Diagnosis: 14.3 :eek:
Last A1C: 5.9 :D

Baby Boy due: Aug 9, 2010!!

prayingforacure

prayingforacure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi Sophie,
My daughter is a type 1 and had her nose pierced 5 months ago with no probs. I think if your BGL is ok your healing will be like everyone else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users