- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

silverbullet

silverbullet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I just ordered a CGMS and I can't wait to have it.
My question is what do you do about swimming? They say it is okay to three feet. I know the reciever can't get wet but what do you do about the transmitter? What are your experiences? What about diving into an eight foot deep pool? Do you just not use it when you know you have a lot of pool time? Saltwater? Can you remove the transmitter for swimming and then reinstall? All questions I am concerned about, anyone have any input?
Type 1 Since 2/92
Pumping Since 10/2006
Wish I started Pumping Sooner!

rak1978

rak1978

• Seniors
  • 2,380 posts
Well, I swim often and it has been a deterrent (one of many) from wearing my cgms as often as I would like. The transmitter can go in the water. The connection between the transmitter and the sensor is water tight. I've never disconnected the transmitter before swimming....seems that the water would not be kind to the sensor without the watertight seal of the transmitter.
The thing that is bothersome to me is that the pump loses signal after 1/2 hour and once you lose that connection, you have to recalibrate the pump at that time in order to get it going again. Calibration is better done far away (time wise) from boluses and eating, so it's hard for me to find a good time to do this during the day other than first thing in the morning.
Another thing I've noticed is that once I wear the transmitter/sensor in the pool or spa for any extended period of time, it loses it's accuracy from then on until I put a new one in.
All that said...nothing is impossible, and you will make it work if you want it to. Just trying to be honest about how it's gone down for me. I know others do this with very little problems. :)
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

9903card

9903card

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
We have a pool and I have had the CGMS for 1 yr and 9 mo. What has worked for me is putting 2 pieces of iv3000 dressing over the cgms, crisscrossing them. After about 20 minutes, I will get out and take a .1 or .2 bolus and let my pump sync with the cgms, test my BS and eat if I need too. Sometimes, I have to change the dressing if I am in the water for a long time, but most of the time it holds. I wouldn't recommend taking the transmitter off, it would be very difficult to cover it, then try and remove the dressing without pulling the sensor out.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

I just ordered a CGMS and I can't wait to have it.
My question is what do you do about swimming? They say it is okay to three feet. I know the reciever can't get wet but what do you do about the transmitter? What are your experiences? What about diving into an eight foot deep pool? Do you just not use it when you know you have a lot of pool time? Saltwater? Can you remove the transmitter for swimming and then reinstall? All questions I am concerned about, anyone have any input?

Since you mention a "receiver" I'm guessing you're getting the Dexcom? I have never seen it in person but I do know the sensors/transmitter setup is different from Minimed's. With Minimed, the majority of users completely cover the sensor & transmitter with some kind of tape of dressing. You pretty much have to or else you'll just end up ripping the whole thing out. Dexcom sensors seem to have a bigger patch of tape to hold them in and the transmitter looks like it snaps on top of it all. That doesn't requite a lot of extra tape to hold it all flat against the skin. I assume the connection is watertight once you've attached the transmitter, same as with Minimed. I definitely would not remove the transmitter before going in the water. Just like with Minimed, I assume that you'd really mess things up if you let the sensor terminal get wet.

I have never heard of any Dex users taping completely over their transmitter but it probably can be done and would give extra security while in the water.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

someone

someone

• Seniors
  • 1,227 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I never bother with it while swimming. I just keep the transmitter covered with tape so it doesn't get ripped out (that is, on the minimed system). This wasn't necessary for me with the Dexcom. As far as going in the water with the transmitter connected, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you just purchased it and it's under warranty. I have been much deeper than recommended with the transmitter and never had any issues.

If you want to avoid loss of data, with a minimed cgms, you just need to get near the receiver every 40 minutes since the transmitter can store 40 minutes worth of data. Because Dexcom does not have this feature, I have heard of people putting their receiver in a plastic bag so they can keep it near them or in the pool (but don't blame me if your plastic bag has a hole in it).

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• Seniors
  • 762 posts
I got the Tegaderm patches for the transmitter because it kept flopping around on me and being ripped out/falling out after less than a day. I would just wear that :)
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

aggie168

aggie168

• Seniors
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationTexas
I do not swim but I have occasion of enjoying "water sports". I use one of those waterproof pouch for my pump and keep it around my waist. Thatway, I do not have to deal with the 30minutes limit on the memory or lost of link. Yes, the transmitter is taped under Tegaderm or Hypafix tape and that seems OK. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Humalog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

10/2014 A1C 5.6 Chol=141 Trig=75 HDL=49 LDL=77
05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

Coppernob

Coppernob

• Seniors
  • 718 posts
Silverbullet, thanks for asking the question as it is something I have wondered about and just kept forgetting to post about it. This place is such a great place for information and advice. :thrasher: Diabetes Forums rock!

:cool:  Anne

Diagnosis: April 9, 1968
Pump (508): September 2001
522 + Sensor: February 18, 2008

Holmlund

Holmlund

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've noticed that my sensor just doesn't work the same after it's immersed in warm bath water for a while. Probably the heat?
Ken
Type 1 Diabetic (not a PWD) since 1982 (age 12)
Pumping since April 2010 - Minimed 722
CGM since May 2010
Last A1c 6.8%

silverbullet

silverbullet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
It is the Dexcom system. I have a sport case for my 522. Sometimes I use it sometimes I just disconnect.
What about experiences with the ocean, anybody?
Type 1 Since 2/92
Pumping Since 10/2006
Wish I started Pumping Sooner!

JJM335

JJM335

• Seniors
  • 759 posts
FWIW, with the Medtronic system, the "missed data" time is set at a default 30 mins, but you can increase this to 40 mins. Sometimes the extra 10 mins makes all the difference.

Just go to Sensor, Edit Setup, and scroll down to missed data.

T1 since 1977
MM522/Apidra since July 08
Animas Vibe/Humalog since Nov 13
CGM - Self Funded - now with Dexcom G4

someone

someone

• Seniors
  • 1,227 posts

FWIW, with the Medtronic system, the "missed data" time is set at a default 30 mins, but you can increase this to 40 mins. Sometimes the extra 10 mins makes all the difference.

Just go to Sensor, Edit Setup, and scroll down to missed data.

This is the amount of time until it alerts you. Regardless of what this is set at, the transmitter stores 40 mins of data which gets transferred when you do "find lost sensor".

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

This is the amount of time until it alerts you. Regardless of what this is set at, the transmitter stores 40 mins of data which gets transferred when you do "find lost sensor".

If you get back to the pump before 40 minutes (before you get the Lost Sensor alarm) you will not have to do Find Lost Sensor at all. Just hang out by the pump for a few minutes until the next data transfer and all of the readings will appear. If you are away longer than 40 minutes then you will have to find the sensor.

I wouldn't wait exactly 40 minutes either because it can result in Lost Sensor and that's an extra step/time to get it started again. I'd use 35 minutes as the maximum time away from a Minimed pump.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

johnthms72

johnthms72

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been avoiding using the sensor portion of the MM paradigm real time system when DD goes to a pool.I use the gauridan CGMS I place a IV3000 over the sensor and never had a sensor problem.
[url=http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/movie-&-media-players-usb/sumvision-cyclone-micro-hd-movie-player-/19245]sumvision cyclone micro[/url]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users