FBG While on MethylPrednisolone

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
Whether on Metformin or not, I'm always thrilled if my AM FBG is under 110.

I also have autoimmune arthritis and recently had to take a Pred Dose Pack for 6 days, which naturally boosted my FBG so that it was never below 140 until the final day or so. Now I'm off the Pred and suddenly my FBG is 90. 90!!! I've never been 90 in my life.

Any explanations?

gunsdogs

gunsdogs

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
CALynn, and you complaining about this???? One question WHY???. Now really I do hope things settle down for you. Rich
Novolin 70/30 100u am
Novolin 70/30 70u pm
Metformin 500mg x2
Aspirin 81mg
Lisinopril 10mg
Metprolol 12.5mg x2
Cilostazol 100mg x2
Simvastatin 20mg
Omeprazole 20mg

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
Oh DEFINITELY not complaining AT ALL. Just trying to understand the dynamics.

I'm thinking that maybe some of my glucose highs were due to inflammation caused by the arthritis.....and by using Pred and reducing the inflammation, my FBG was lowered.

But I really, really would like someone to share some empirical evidence or medical information references.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
A quick look on the internet and many drug sites mention higher BGs as possible side effects for diabetics. I don't know the reason, but it does sound like it either is, or is related to/similar to steroids, which are infamous for causing BG problems. Searching steroids on the forum will show some of the experiences diabetics find.

That's not a lot, but it might give you some leads to follow.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
Subby,

Thanks, but it's a long established fact that steroids dramatically elevates blood glucose. That's a given.

The question is: Is it possible that reduced inflammation [as a result of taking cortisone] lowers blood glucose?

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Oh, sorry, I was responding to your thread title which asks what was happening while you were on the pred.

I think reduced inflammation sounds like a very plausible reason for improved fbgs. The effect of inflamation on BGs is also "a given", though I don't have any particular studies to offer you. I have had strong cases myself of increased insulin resistance and higher BGs with a variety of infections and inflammation. If you are looking for solid evidence, have you tried internet searches, pubmed?
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,881 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

But I really, really would like someone to share some empirical evidence or medical information references.

I would venture to say that personal empirical evidence speaks louder than the experience of others. Since your autoimmune arthritis will be recurring, requiring another Pred Dose Pack, I would keep a separate record of your FBG numbers up to, and after, your next Pred Dose Pack. Should you see a trend...then you have, in fact, your empirical evidence.

I find polling others for a similar experience I get the phrase, "...yeah, I experienced the same thing, except for me, it was different!" :D

CALynn

CALynn

• 500 plus
  • 335 posts
I agree, the personal experiences would be interesting to read. In the interim I've begun keeping records.

I'd already done an intensive amount of research in medical references and do indeed see the correlation. Without coming right out and asking, I was hoping someone on this website had a similar set of circumstances. [Pred dose packs are contraindicated for me in most situations, so it's not likely that I'll be getting this dose pack again for a while, hence the problem in my being able to replicate the conditions.]

gunsdogs

gunsdogs

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
CALynn, I hope you took my comment as an attempt at humor. Rich
Novolin 70/30 100u am
Novolin 70/30 70u pm
Metformin 500mg x2
Aspirin 81mg
Lisinopril 10mg
Metprolol 12.5mg x2
Cilostazol 100mg x2
Simvastatin 20mg
Omeprazole 20mg

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts

I also have autoimmune arthritis and recently had to take a Pred Dose Pack for 6 days, which naturally boosted my FBG so that it was never below 140 until the final day or so. Now I'm off the Pred and suddenly my FBG is 90. 90!!! I've never been 90 in my life.

Any explanations?

I'm jealous!!! Great number for steroids, mine was 178. Then 287 after meals...grrrrr....tomorrow is the last day. I will see if it drops.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• 500 plus
  • 881 posts
Mine dropped too. 88 this morning. 104 2 hours after typical is 135-145.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users