- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

removethehaze

removethehaze

Banned

• Banned
  • 306 posts
Simply put, since I've been on high doses of Lantus, was 58, now down to 46, I've been gaining weight. I went from 195 to 205 in 5 months.

I exercise, and don't eat any more than before I started to gain weight.

Does anyone have a secret as to how I can stop this weight gain, without starving myself any more than I am :questionm :questionm :questionm

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,551 posts
What's your carb consumption like?
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

RCLafnjack

RCLafnjack

• 500 plus
  • 297 posts

Simply put, since I've been on high doses of Lantus, was 58, now down to 46, I've been gaining weight. I went from 195 to 205 in 5 months.

I exercise, and don't eat any more than before I started to gain weight.

Does anyone have a secret as to how I can stop this weight gain, without starving myself any more than I am :questionm :questionm :questionm

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

I was on lantis, and I got stuck at a certain weight. No mater what I did I couldn't get lighter. Dr. Took me off Lantis and put me on Victoza.. I lost pounds in 10 days and 18 pounds over the next 2 months.. Dr. told me that Lantis is Insulin based and thats what kept the weight on. Victoza is not insulin based. Byetta also is good for weight loss and in Oct hopefully Bydureon (once a week injection) will be even better than Victoza or Byetta.

RCL
RCLafnjack aka Tim Stubbe
type 2 june 23rd 2010

If you learn a recipe you will make a great dish, If you learn a technique you will make hundreds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tim Stubbe's Kitchen

A1C
Jun 2009 - 9.3
June 2010 - 5.4
WEIGHT
Jun 2009 - 287
June 2010 - 212
Metformin 500mg 1x day
Victoza 0.6 1x day
Glipizide 1/2 5mg 1x day

Mediterranean/Low Carb Diet & 8-12 hours of exercise a week

jojeti

jojeti

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
I too am on Lantus and I have been consistently losing weight on a very low carb diet. That is what I found to work best for me and if I start to plateau, I cut carbs even more and it gives me a boost and I start losing again. I found Lantus works for me only as well as I eat...does that make sense? I should mention low carb for me was 50 gms a day or lower and now I am at 30 gms a day or less.
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 19 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
Diet: Low carb (< 30 gms a day, but try for less than 20 gms/day)
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,637 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I know the feeling Pastor Paul. I've been on Lanus for a few years now, and between that and the Novolog, I've gained 70 pounds. The weight gain isn't all because of the insulin, but I know some of it is.
It's a kind of Catch 22 situation....if you take the insulin, you gain weight. If you gain weight, you need more insulin. You end up increasing both your weight and your insulin needs.

I haven't figured out anyway to lose the weight, but then again, I am not able to exercise. If I could exercise, that would be the only way I could lose some weight, but I would never lose the amount I need to be in my normal weight range.

One way to get exercise is to go shopping....for anything, as walking around the stores or mall will burn off calories and lower your BG a bit. I noticed this when I go grocery shopping. For me, as long as I have a shopping cart to lean on, my back doesn't bother me as much. Of course, walking to and from the store is a real pain for me. I try to avoid shopping in a place that doesn't have shopping carts, as my back couldn't handle it.

As several have mentioned, you need to eat low carbs. That helps a lot of us keep the weight off. I'd suggest trying a 100 carb a day limit at first. See how that affects your weight,and if you can, try reducing that 100 carbs limit to less. I know it's not easy, but it does get easier over time.

Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck!

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Mussakka

Mussakka

• 500 plus
  • 808 posts
I need 120 units of Lantus a day and I've been losing weight like crazy. I'm not low carb, but definitely lower carb (maybe 60-80g per day...I don't really track it I just try to stay aware and limit consumption). I've also changed over to a vegan diet. I'm pretty liberal with olive oil and started using a little coconut oil a couple of weeks ago. I'm definitely not starving and while I do get hungry, it's the normal "It's dinner time I'm hungry" kind of hunger. Not a gnawing "please I wish I could eat" all day long kind of hunger. I've lost at least 25 lbs. since March, but I know I've lost more since I last weighed.

I basically eat to my meter and try to keep my BGs between 70-140.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

you should not feel like you are starving yourself! that is absolutely unsustainable. my opinion is that you should eat more fat and protein until you feel full!

i have been on lantus for nearly two years and i have NOT gained any weight!

:)

-- joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Insulin is the major energy storage hormone... this includes Fat storage.

No need to starve yourself... just eat foods which don't tend to raise your BG, thereby needing less insulin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users