• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

guy morgan

guy morgan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there.

I had an idea to open a cafe that sells cakes and biscuits made using Splenda, to accompany a coffee. My mum recently went out for an afternoon coffee and was only able to eat an apple whilst all her friends ate cakes. She is diabetic and gave me the idea.

Basically, I would like to know what people think.. is it a good idea? Would you like a coffee shop that you could go to that has an upstairs library area to drink your coffee and for all produce to be free of sugar? I also thought that perhaps I could have everything wheat, gluten and dairy free too..

Would appreciate any comments or ideas for a name as I have chosen Reggae Chicken as my cafe name! Another idea was 'No Sugar Here'

Thanks

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hi, what I miss out there are fresh, real food, low carb alternatives, not "low sugar" ones. In fact, I'm happy for there to be a dash of sugar if the slab of flour is taken out.

The idea of a "diabetic" cafe is rather depressing to me, I don't mind having diabetes but to define a sociable/supposedly pleasurable place event around such a medical word? I think most people would be put off too. I also think you would be limiting yourself if you targeted only diabetics. If I was setting something like this up, I would base it on whole, fresh foods with ample low carb options, and the most I would mention about the diabetes condition is some kind of wry sideline that your foods are kind to the blood sugars, anyone's blood sugars. (Eating excessive sugar and carbs puts almost everyone's system under a strain, encourages obesity, creates low blood sugar troughs, etc etc).
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Cora

Cora

• 500 plus
  • 644 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
While I may be the odd man out, I have never been an artificial sweetener user. Basically I count my carbs. I don't like the taste of the alternatives, so I just eat a smaller portion of the "real" stuff. What I would love in a cafe, is the ability to control my portion size, rather than having to buy a slab of cake and throw most of it out. One of my favorite restaurants is a stir-fry place that is a buffet. You load up your bowl, add your individual ingredients and sauces, and then weigh what you got. You are charged based on how much you took. I would love a cafe like that. It would also be possible for the vendors to then tell me the carb count is based on the weight of what I ordered. That would work for me.

Cora
dx T1 1966
Kidney transplant 2002
Pumping 2002-2008
Pancreas transplant 2008

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I do use artificial sugars but: STARCHES spike me to heck and back!

And of those who use a meter to test after eating foods, I suspect many will tell you the same thing.

A low-starch AND low-sugar menu thus might be a more effective selling point for diabetics.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts

I had an idea to open a cafe that sells cakes and biscuits made using Splenda, to accompany a coffee. My mum recently went out for an afternoon coffee and was only able to eat an apple whilst all her friends ate cakes. She is diabetic and gave me the idea.

I have to say Ditto to what the others have said - low carb would beat sugar-free (and just so you know, an apple is NOT low-carb - lower maybe than the cake but still spikes blood sugar for many of us...)

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts

The idea of a "diabetic" cafe is rather depressing to me, I don't mind having diabetes but to define a sociable/supposedly pleasurable place event around such a medical word? I think most people would be put off too. I also think you would be limiting yourself if you targeted only diabetics. If I was setting something like this up, I would base it on whole, fresh foods with ample low carb options, and the most I would mention about the diabetes condition is some kind of wry sideline that your foods are kind to the blood sugars, anyone's blood sugars. (Eating excessive sugar and carbs puts almost everyone's system under a strain, encourages obesity, creates low blood sugar troughs, etc etc).

Ditto

There's a whole low-carb health movement going on out there. It's a way of eating for everyone, not just diabetics. I know I wouldn't enjoy a "Diabetic" eatery.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users