infected canula site

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Penguin =)

Penguin =)

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
okay,. so i did the bad thing and left one in too long, i left it in for five days (big mistake) INFECTION!!
after that ive had three more infected sites in a row, ive changed from insetII to the cleo thinking it was them, but aparently not. the cleo just got infected by day TWO!!!
ive been on anti biotics for four days now and the last two sites have been infected,
i was supprised about the cleo though, it only lasted two days before the infection drove me to high sugar and a painful site.
i do disinfect my sites thoroughly and none of the sites were anywhere near the previous infected ones.

does anybody have any advice?
Diagnosed Type 1 on 29/7/08
Pumping Humalog on Animas2020 since july 09'
:D

snakey

snakey

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
You may want to try an IV3000 or other covering. I have also noticed the weather effects my site. When it is very hot the site loosens and then rashes. I found taping cuts down the problems. hope this helps

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
Gee I hope that you're OK Penguin. ;) Anyway, Summer will soon be here. I can only dream of having a pump but having an infection sucks huh. Toe Shoes are not at all great ether. :o Well that's 30 Years ago. :o:D

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

pinkbenjiblue

pinkbenjiblue

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Hi Penguin, so sorry to hear about your troubles. The longest that I can get away with changing cites is at the most 3 1/2 days, for me the max. Two thoughts, I use the iv prep, cleans the area and at the same time leaves it sticky so it sticks I also use the terdagen, clear large band aid like think that goes over my sure t. Now my 2 cent thought. I also had b=very sore cite areas, I was allergic to the plastic canula and the Humalog, now on sure t which is metal, and apidra, love the apidra, no problems, wish you luck in figuring all of this out, wash your hands before you change next time....hope it gets easier for you, Renee
:wink: :)

Penguin =)

Penguin =)

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
i do wash my hands and disinfect the whole area with alcohol wipes so i know its clean. so i'm a little confused as to why all the other sites are getting infected, i havnt had any troubbles for the last year other than the last week and a half.
i do have the alergy to the tape on the canulas, but i dont think that would cause the (excuse the gross) puss that comes out of the canula site.
i know its usual to get a litttle insulin leakage out of a newly changed site, but this is definatley not insulin lol.

2high

2high

• 500 plus
  • 3,452 posts
It could be that with the other infection still running through your body, your immunity is just a bit low, and needs some time for the antibiotics to clear the infection. Give it a couple of days to clear up - I see you've gone back to MDI for now - and try it again, would be my advice... Have you called your educator or pump rep to see what they say?

Katie - T1 since age 8, October 1992.

Mum to Riley, 19th August 2010, and Koby, 23 October 2013

Penguin =)

Penguin =)

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
ive got my clinic apointment in a week so i'm just going to see how i go for a while. if it gets too messy i'll definatley give them a call or take a little trip to the hospital =)
i like to try and look after it by myself (without doctors), and i know that sounds silly but while i still live at home with mum is when i was to mess arround and make the mistakes so i know what to and what not to do later (if that makes sense) but i do always call the nurses when i cant do it =)
thanks guys, i've got all your ideas and plans in mind for the next few days =)

pinkbenjiblue

pinkbenjiblue

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
hi, perhaps u r building up resistance to the insulin, my bumps under the skin and the pain would get worse and worse as time went on, the clean hand thing was just a thought, can not tell you how many times I go to change the cite wash and the phone rings or I forget something and them=n go back to it, plus with the more people that write in perhaps one of the suggestions will be on target. Hope that you feel ok, make sure that you do not have a tepperature, and are the areas infe=cted warm or hot to the touch? If yes, you might, not a dr. or nurse, just a plain old Mom, but that would need attention much sooner than a week. Wishing you a quick fix to this frustrating problem....hope today is better for you!! Renee
:wink: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users