38 replies to this topic

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2
I was put on Lipitor the same day I was put on Lantus, in July '09. Was told that I'd feel better if I watched my diet, lost some weight and took my medicine, like a good little patient. I started a walk each day. First it was 50 yards, then farther, then farther still until now I walk 200 yards uphill to the mailbox and back, every dang day, rain or shine.

The problem is...from day one until today I ache when I get to the mailbox. I don't mean I feel a little tired and I'm glad I don't have to walk any farther, I mean from my hips down I'm in intense pain and I don't think it's lactic acid burn like when you're doing push-ups. I'm in intense pain...to the point if there was a chair there...I'd sit in it.

390 days I've been doing this with no change. I thought at least my body would build up to this and the walk would be a 'walk in the park', no pun intended. It hasn't. I'm breathing a little harder when I get to the mailbox, but within 2 to 3 minutes, that's gone.

I'm thinking it may be the Lipitor from others that have had muscle pain, but I'm not positive. Maybe it's because I'm just a 67-year-old fat guy that's packing 100 pounds of excess weight up the hill and expecting to feel like I'm 27 when I get there. :hmmmm:

Anyway...any anecdotes about yours, or anyone you know who quit statins and this went away would be appreciated.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

alura

alura

• 500 plus
  • 980 posts
I stopped taking Crestor for about 3 months but I didn't notice anything felt any different....I don't even know if Crestor is a "regular" statin. Anyway, had some elevated chol levels and doc said take it again....can't tell when I take it, can't tell when I don't :confused:
alura
"Livin' Life by the Drop" - SRV

Diagnosed T2 July 2008 -- Metformin 1000 mg:2xdaily/Prilosec/Celexa

A1c Jul '08 = 6.8
A1c March 2013 = 5.4

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Lipitor & Crestor both caused aches & pain when I tried them long ago.
No statins for me!!
Dx Dec 07 Type2
Control...nutrition & exercise

Mussakka

Mussakka

• 500 plus
  • 808 posts
I take Advicor and find that I have muscle aches and pains far more often than I should. It seems that the least little thing will make my hips, back, or shoulders ache for days (like carrying several bags of groceries up the stairs). I'm in my early 40s, so I shouldn't have that much trouble. I noticed it when I first started taking the statin, and that was before I'd heard anything about muscle pains with that class of drugs. I don't have the intensity of pain you describe, though.

A coworker took Crestor (I think) and started having nearly debilitating pain. He toughed it out for a few weeks to see if his body would adapt, but he ended up having to quit taking the stuff.

I'd rather not take the stuff myself. Since I've made some significant dietary changes (going vegan) I'm interested to see how my lipid levels change. If they get good enough, then I'm weening off the pharmaceutical teat.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

plattb1

plattb1

• 500 plus
  • 2,071 posts
I have taken several different statins over the years: lipitor, pravachol, crestor. I never had any side effects from any of them that I could tell.

But, I decided that they aren't worth the risk after reading everything I could get my hands on about them and about cholesterol.

I stopped taking them about two months ago. I guess I'll know in another two months what impact the change has made. So long as my HDL remains high, I will not take them again.
Barrie

Dx T2 Sept 1999
Latest A1c 6.1 (April 2010)
Metformin 2000 mg daily
Lantus 20 units daily
Ramipril 10 mg daily
Multivitamin, B-12, D-3,
R-ALA/biotin, Omega-3 (chia oil)

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I had terrible aches with Lipitor. I felt a lot better when I quit taking them. I have been told by my endo that I need to be back on them, but I refuse. Quality of life (however much I get) is worth it to me. Talk to your doctor about trying a different one, bountyman or do like I did and take your chances and quit.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
i may be lucky here. i was on a statin, "crestor" i think (i have actually forgotten). it never made me ache - but it didn't do much for my lipids either.

after switching from high carb, low fat to lower carb, higher fat diet my cholesterol and triglycerides have plummeted. so i stopped the statin as suggested by my GP.

:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

PinkRose

PinkRose

• 500 plus
  • 599 posts
I have heard of many cases of people suffering severe leg pains due to statins. So much so, that I will never take them. Luckily cholesterol levels is something that can be controlled by lifestyle, diet & lipid lowering natural supplements.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

I had terrible aches with Lipitor. I felt a lot better when I quit taking them. I have been told by my endo that I need to be back on them, but I refuse. Quality of life (however much I get) is worth it to me. Talk to your doctor about trying a different one, bountyman or do like I did and take your chances and quit.

Mulling this over with my PA would be a long, drawn-out process. I don't see him for another 3 months, when I need him to scratch out some new refill prescriptions. Let's say he switches me to another statin. If I take that for another 3 months and I still feel the same fatigue, and he switches me to another statin...then there goes another 3 months.

I don't have the lab tests when I was in the hospital and put on Lantus, Lipitor and Lisinopril, but I do have the numbers from the labs taken 4 months later.

Cholesterol 150 [<200 mg/dL]
Triglyceride 110 [<150 mg/dL]
Hdl Cholesterol L 33 [40-60]
LDLC 95 [<130 mg/dL]
Chd 1 Risk 1 4.55 [3.43-4.97]

I have an open appointment to have all these tests done again...but like I say, I won't have access to those results without an appointment with my PA. I suppose my best shot at this is to stop taking the Lipitor and see what happens. If the fatigue goes away I'll have my answer and can discuss an alternative statin when I next see my PA, if my lipid panel tests warrant it. If the fatigue doesn't go away...I'll have to toss this around some more.

It would nice if I had some type of window on how long anyone who stopped taking Lipitor came back around. I'd hate to stop taking this and fall short of a correct decision just a few days before I started getting results.

ICDogg

ICDogg

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I take a low dose of Simvastatin which is Zocor, at bedtime, with no bad effect.

Scout

Scout

• 500 plus
  • 318 posts
Not sure if this helps, but my sister was put on Lipitor and she had horrible muscle aches from it. She stopped taking it and within a week most of the muscle pain went away, and was for sure all gone within 2 weeks.

My doctor wanted to put me on statins and I refused. I'll see in October what help my dietary changes have made. That said, even if there was no change in my lipids (and I think there will be) I still would refuse statins. I'm not convinced they do anything but line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies.
Scout
Type 2, Dx'd Fall '09

When I think back on all the cr@pI I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none, I can read the writing on the wall
- Paul Simon

Larry H.

Larry H.

• 500 plus
  • 789 posts

I have heard of many cases of people suffering severe leg pains due to statins. So much so, that I will never take them. Luckily cholesterol levels is something that can be controlled by lifestyle, diet & lipid lowering natural supplements.

Yes and no. I for instance eat exactly what my parents did and my mom who is 86 still eats. She has perfect numbers an no heart problems. While I have had very high cholesterol levels and quadruple by pass. High blood pressure and now diabetes, all of which she does not. They way they explained it to me simply put is that some peoples systems do not process the fats properly leading to high triglycerides and cholesterol levels. I recently cut back my Lovistatin from 80 to 40 mg per day. (or how ever they measure it). My numbers over the year went up by 30 points which didn't make me happy. I think I have read where Statins have a lot of beneficial side effects as well?

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I felt better after quitting Lipitor within a few days, a week at most. I had only been taking the statin for about six months when I quit, maybe a bit less. I had been given another one before Lipitor and quit that one also. I am now at the point that I don't think I will ever go back on it. My doctor appointment was only about a month away when I quit. I figured I wouldn't die without it and had a month to try to control my cholesterol on my own. The results were not good on that first test, but I didn't really care. I refused the statin. He gave me another one, but I didn't take it. I have been doing better slowly on my blood tests.

It is a personal and very important decision. Perhaps you can just talk on the phone to your doctor about quitting for those three months and work hard on your diet and exercise. Mine gave me several months to improve things. I guess he figured I wouldn't die in those three months without it.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I was given Litpitor after my heart surgery. Didn't notice the leg pain and cramping until I started to heal from the surgery. I had to quit taking the Lipitor, it was exhausting me. Noticed a small change in a couple of days, noticed even more in a week or so. I was given provachol (sp) side effects were less than the Lipitor, but I have since quit taking it as well.

Mulling this over with my PA would be a long, drawn-out process. I don't see him for another 3 months, when I need him to scratch out some new refill prescriptions. Let's say he switches me to another statin. If I take that for another 3 months and I still feel the same fatigue, and he switches me to another statin...then there goes another 3 months.

I don't have the lab tests when I was in the hospital and put on Lantus, Lipitor and Lisinopril, but I do have the numbers from the labs taken 4 months later.

Cholesterol 150 [<200 mg/dL]
Triglyceride 110 [<150 mg/dL]
Hdl Cholesterol L 33 [40-60]
LDLC 95 [<130 mg/dL]
Chd 1 Risk 1 4.55 [3.43-4.97]

I have an open appointment to have all these tests done again...but like I say, I won't have access to those results without an appointment with my PA. I suppose my best shot at this is to stop taking the Lipitor and see what happens. If the fatigue goes away I'll have my answer and can discuss an alternative statin when I next see my PA, if my lipid panel tests warrant it. If the fatigue doesn't go away...I'll have to toss this around some more.

It would nice if I had some type of window on how long anyone who stopped taking Lipitor came back around. I'd hate to stop taking this and fall short of a correct decision just a few days before I started getting results.

---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
I was taking prevarastatin for about a year. I seemed to be getting a lots more muscle aches and strains than usual but blamed it on my active lifestyle and overtraining. In the Spring I came down with some infections and the flu and after that it seemed that the muscle aches intensified even though I wasn't exercising. I started to get extreme pain, almost like Fibromyalgia and extreme fatigue and of course insomnia. When I started researching it I found out lots of people blame statins. So last Monday I stopped the statins. I can't say all the pains have left but I do feel much better and at least have enough energy to exercise. I'm hoping all the muscle aches will go away and I will be back to my normal , flexible self. No doctor ever warns you of the intensity of these pains and even when I was in his office in June and complained about fatigue, muscle aches, etc, he just gave me antibiotics to kill the infection. He never connected the statins with the muscle aches, I had to do that on my own.

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
have not read the whole thread, but after going low carb, I quit my statin and have had great lipid levels without it.
and I had contiuous calve muscle twitching on my statin. and yes I think its possible you feel better.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
I have talked to a lot of people on very low carb diets who have decreased LDL and trigs significantly without statins and raise HDL as well. I had one friend on another blog that her doctor made her repeat her labs because he didn't believe someone could lower their lipids that quickly. I'm sure I can do it without the statins and yes I already feel like I have so much energy.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

It is a personal and very important decision. Perhaps you can just talk on the phone to your doctor about quitting for those three months and work hard on your diet and exercise. Mine gave me several months to improve things. I guess he figured I wouldn't die in those three months without it.

I've been down that 'call-the-doctor' road, the Medical Group where I go doesn't do that. They want that $83, telephone time isn't billable. But...it's been a week and this morning's walk was a bit different in that the pain wasn't as intense. We'll see what these next 7 days bring. I plan to let this test run a whole month before I make a decision.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

No doctor ever warns you of the intensity of these pains and even when I was in his office in June and complained about fatigue, muscle aches, etc, he just gave me antibiotics to kill the infection. He never connected the statins with the muscle aches, I had to do that on my own.

A year into this thing and I'll tell you, I sure have a different attitude towards the medical profession and all their sidekicks, especially my pharmacy. Lucky my pharmacy works during the daylight hours...if it were night I doubt they could find their butt if it had a bell on it.

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
I was on them for a year, and just stopped last week. My pains and joints are still sore, but now i am to exercise to loosen them up a little. I was getting to the point I couldn't climb the stairs. I was afraid I was getting an auto immune disease. In researching statins online I found lots of stories about how statin use gave people fibromyalgia. i just hope I didn't too too much damage in that year. If my doctor had warned me of what to watch out for I would have stopped long ago. I remember about a month after starting them we went on a 4 day backpacking trip to Utah. I felt achy and tired the entire trip. Could barely lift my backpack. I thought it was just the heat and just hiking too much. Now , I'm thinking differently. Also the brain fog was really getting to me. I felt like I was aging real fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users