- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

lynnerey

lynnerey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was diagnosed in April, but have my levels averaging about 100, with the help of Humulin and Victoza. One problem that won't go away is my excessive sweating. I know the weather is extremely hot, but buildings are air conditioned, and I keep my home AC at 70 degrees.

I went to two stores today, and in the middle of shopping in each one, I broke out in a sweat. It's embarrassing to be talking with someone with sweat dripping off my hair and face. During the night I become drenched in sweat, and usually have to get up and change pajamas. I sleep with a ceiling fan on high, a small fan blowing on me, and the AC on 70.

I have had this problem for about a year, so it can't be blamed on the weather. In the south we hug a lot, but this sweating thing doesn't make me very huggable!

Is this a characteristic of diabetes, or could something additional be going on? I also take Cymbalta, Concerta (for ADD) and HRT.

Any ideas or comments?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Have you checked your blood sugar during these times of extreme sweating?

You may be going a little low and not know it.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I was talking to a Type 2 about heat intolerance and he says that clinicians told him it is a part of D. I cannot find anything explaining the physiology, however.

I am having horrible hot flashes ,and the thought that D is adding more joy ... makes me ILL!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
How long have you been taking the Cymbalta, which has a side effect of sweating. Also if you are taking any pain meds they will also make you sweat even more. Wife has taken both. Savella is even worse for this effect.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
More possibilities here: Hyperhidrosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,630 posts
I would also suspect the Cymbalta. I was taking Celexa, which is an SSRI, and I sweated so much, I refused to take it. My doctor said that when you inhibit your serotonin, you can sweat a lot. I don't know why that is, but I did see that Cymbalta is an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor), so it is affecting your serotonin levels.

I sweat a lot normally....I always have, but with Celexa, I sweated so much that people thought I was sick. When I went grocery shopping, I'd go really early to beat the heat and crowds.....usually between 2am and 7am.(it's a Wal-Mart and they're open 24/7). I'd take my time shopping, but when I got to the checkout counter, my shirt was completely soaked, I had sweat running off of my arms and dripping off of my face. I had to carry some folded up paper towels in my pockets to wipe the sweat off so I wouldn't drip sweat on the counter.

One thing you didn't mention was your age. Is it possible that you are having hot flashes?

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

lynnerey

lynnerey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, guys for the input. Hammer, your description while on Celexa sounds exactly like me.

I have been taking Cymbalta for several years, and the sweating has been somewhat of a problem all along. It just seems to have gotten worse over time, and I have been totally miserable with it during the last year. I am 58, and take a hormone (estrace). I am also about 50 lbs. overweight. So I guess the diabetes is just exacerbating the problem. I don't know that I can give up the antidepressants, but maybe my psychiatrist can find an alternative.

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,834 posts
I have heat intolerance too, but I rarely sweat. Another condition that involves sweating is something called Autotomic Neuropathy. I know a lot of diabetics who have it but I don't think it is limited to diabetics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users