Kefir

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Does anyone know the glycemic index on it and does anyone use it on a regular basis and how much can you drink of it at one time? I'm looking forward to drinking it and feeding it to the chickens. It's supposed to be real good for them too. :)
Cathy mom of James 4/15/06 and Maggie 9/11/11
Dx on 7/9/2010.:slug::turtle:
A1c on 12/15/11 = 6.1 Yay!!!
A1c on 1/26/11 = 7.9 :( Christmas stress!
A1c on 11/19/2010= 6.0 :D C-Peptide = .71
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1
Insulin pump with humalog
www.cathyanddave.blogspot.com
http://cathyanddaveh...y.blogspot.com/

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2
Nutrition info: One cup of plain, low-fat kefir contains 120 calories, 12 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of fat, and 300 milligrams of calcium. The glycemic index of kefir is apparently low, although I was not able to find a specific number. -Source

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Thanks. Yeah, that's why I started a thread. I couldn't find a glycemic index on it on-line. I read though that the whole milk actually has less carbs. How does it taste on cereal, if I get low enough to have a very small bowl? Or does need to be mixed with something else?
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
I have been making Milk Kefir for several months. I love it. I originally started to help my diabetic husband but he didn't like it - Whee, more for me.

I do not believe it has 12 carbs. The Kefir Grains live on Latose and after a 12/24 hour ferment there can be but a tad left, if any.

It tastes similar to Buttermilk. Very thick and leaves a heavy coating on the glass or cup into which it was poured. Depending on how long you leave it ferment the thickness and 'sharp' taste vary. I drink it straight and love it. I use regular milk (full fat).

There is a Yahoo group for Kefir.

I also make Water Kefir but don't really love it but it makes a mildly alcoholic wine that is useful for relaxing. It offers the good benefits of the bacteria but not the probiotics.

I drink at least 8 oz a day.

I have chickens but can not see myself feeding it to them. A gallon of milk is $3+, that is too high for chicken food. I can but 40 lbs of Laying Mash for around $10. I do give them Soy Milk I make. We use the ocara that is left over for making pancakes. Prefer the store bought soy milk to home made.

Regards,
Janice

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm really curious to try it and see what it does to my bg numbers.

Yeah, milk in the store is expensive. We are buying a milk goat this next month and won't be able to drink it fast enough I'm sure since I can't really have it straight without my bg's shooting through the roof so we will be feeding most of it to the chickens after making it into kefir or cheese. They only need it every other day anyway and at the moment we can only have 20 chickens max. So, it shouldn't take much to fill them up.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
Oh, Kathy,

How wonderful to be getting a milk goat. If I were younger I would get one, too. We have 8 hens and that gives plenty of eggs for 2 people.

Anxious to hear what you have to say about the Kefir. I have never had Goat Milk, let alone Goat Milk Kefir. Sounds like a great project.

Guess you have a garden, too?? I have planted Okra in a tire garden. The plants are over 10 feet tall. I have to pull them over to pick the pods. :)

Do you already have your Kefir Grains?

Cheers,
Janice

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
I don't have the kefir grains yet, I'm picking them up on Thursday from someone I found on craigslist that uses her goat milk as well, so I'm very interested in trying it.

Well, we are living with the in-laws at the moment and have found a rental where I can have my goat, chickens and he wants me to start a garden. So, I'm probably going to start some garlic in Oct. and some leafy greens when we move in next month. I'm itching to get in the dirt again. We are planning to save up and buy our own farm in couple years, but I can sell veggie and flower seedlings at the farmers' market that is only a mile away next year at least. So I'm excited about that.

Wow, that is some tall okra, I've had some get about 5-6 feet, but not that tall, that is great. Sunflowers yes, but not okra. You must have some fertile soil. :)
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla

Wow, that is some tall okra, I've had some get about 5-6 feet, but not that tall, that is great. Sunflowers yes, but not okra. You must have some fertile soil. :)

It is my experience, with okra, that whenever it is planted in a Virgin Spot it grows like a weed, even with minimal fertilizer. I have a garden in the front yard that has been planted 4 years running and the okra is barley 2 feet high (even though I added bags of chicken 'fertilizer,' horse poo and bagged fertilizer). The rest of the plants did well though (summer squash, cukes, green beans and bell peppers. The sunflowers did OK - the squirrels loved them to death - literally. The 2 experimental rows of peanuts seem to be doing OK. Next year we will let the front yard 'rest.' I have a huge tire garden in the back. Probably over 30 tires. Supposedly it will be easier to replenish the soil fo rthe next planting. Time will tell.

Glad to hear things are working out for you getting a place where you can still have your critters. What kind of goat are you getting? Wish you lived closer, I would love to try the milk. :)

Kind regards,
Janice

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
That's interesting about the okra. I've never tried to grow peanuts before, but I like to try to grow new things every year. I did a tire garden one year when I had a small garden and it did well. Yeah, I bet the squirrels loved the sunflowers to death. I am a member of this great garden forum. You should check it out if you get a chance. IDigMyGarden Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I am getting a LaMancha. I had Toggenburgs for about 6yrs in 4-H, but I really like how much more the LaMancha's produce. I did breed Angora's for awhile and that is why I have an Angora whether. I just love goats. :)
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

Smitie

Smitie

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Keep us posted on the results of the Kefir, seem like a lot of people are have good luck with it. A glass a day seems hard to keep up with with each batch taking only 24-48hr.

I'm on someone list to get some to try it out for myself.

Smitie

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
Just had my bedtime glass of Kefir Milk. Yum!!

I make mine in widemouth quart sized canning jars. I make it usually every other day. It takes much less than 24 hours for me. It is not that cold in our kitchen, I guess. As a matter of fact, we turn the AC off overnight. I can set the jar out in the middle of the day and in the morning it is ready.

FarmerKathy,

When you get your goat, please post some pictures. I would like to see it.

Good Night,
Janice

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
I know NOTHING about kefir, goats, or farming...can't even keep an orchid alive, but I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your posts!!! They were fascinating. You girls are VERY ambitious!
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla

I know NOTHING about kefir, goats, or farming...can't even keep an orchid alive, but I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your posts!!! They were fascinating. You girls are VERY ambitious!

Glad you were stimulated and amused . . . my work (with that goal in mind) is ongoing (Inserting a BIG GRIN here)

If you, or anyone has further Kefir questions, please PM. I wish to be a Kefir style Johnny Appleseed.

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
We found our girl. :) She is a LaMancha, 2yrs old and pregnant. I will take pictures in a couple weeks when we get her to our new place. :) She is a light brown with a white stripe down her nose. She is such a sweety too. Can't wait until we can pick her up.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Oh, and we got our kefir grains a couple days ago. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to see how the chickens like it. We'll see and then maybe we'll try it. LOL! I'm scared. Heh. Scary trying new things. Maybe with lunch, what can I mix it with if anything? I don't want to make it too sweet or something. Can I mix almond butter with it, kinda like a peanut butter shake, but with almond butter? I can't have peanut butter.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
Cathy,

Why make all that mess? Blender clean-up is a drag. Kefir tastes delicious 'as is.' At least give it a decent try. You might want it ice cold at first. I now like it even at room temperature but cold makes the little creamy particles even nicer. I find myself wishing I could lick the glass clean. (Kefir leaves a thick coating on the glass/jar as does buttermilk.) At first I tried adding things and then found it was like carrying coals to Newcastle. It was already good without going through steps and believe me, I keep cooking and preparation/clean-up to a minimum. Thankfully my husband prefers simple foods and would rather have me by his side than standing by the sink. :)

Just dump those grains in a quart jar and add milk to within 2" from the top, cover with a cloth (use a rubber band to hold in place). Let it sit. Stir with a wooden or plastic once or twice during the day. When it is ready you will notice a separation (with a layer of clear whey) or the surface may appear bumpy. Strain in a plastic strainer, or if you have to use a wife strainer. (They say metal is not good for the grains) The more grains you add the quicker it is 'done.' I do not know what you received but people usually give away about a heaping tablespoon full. The grains I have now started with that amount, they are now easily 2-3 tablespoons full and there are 3 jars of them. The little buggers can eat you out of house and home - at least refrigerator space. :)

Look forward to seeing your doe.
Cheers, Janice

Smitie

Smitie

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm looking for starter Kefir Grains and have joined the Yahoo group in hope to find some close to me. I can't seem to find where to PM people on this board as the option seems to be missing.

Smitie

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
I found mine on craigslist.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

Smitie

Smitie

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yep I found one person and I'm her list to get some but she got so many requests that it's looking like 3-4 months before I'll get some.

Smitie

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
I think I will try it with dinner tonight just straight. The chickens really like it, especially the ones that are laying. Yeah, it was probably about a heaping tablespoon.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users