- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Bridget42

Bridget42

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've bought some Bitter Melon capsules (rather pricey at $23 for 16 days supply if you follow the label directions) and was wondering if they can be taken 'as needed'? The label says to take 2 capsules with each meal but I want to know if they have to be taken on a regular basis to work - or can they be used for just one particular meal?

In other words - do they need to build up in your system before having any effect?

Does anyone use them like this and do they work any better than vinegar?

Axiom

Axiom

• Members
  • 194 posts
I have used bitter melon from the actual plant , my understanding is yes they will work first time taken with meal, they are an alpha glucosidase inhibitor ( the enzyme that converts carbohydrate to glucose). Have now determined may have been using wrong maturity stage may need bitter melon fruit. Your results should be interesting if you have the active ingredient you have a natural compound similar to arbacose (if memory serves) Try one dose with meal and the next 1 hour before meal see if theres a difference. Do not see any reason to use meal meal after meal the effect should be there immediately not as in the case of metformin

My response was very limited , had about the same effect as green tea ; pycnogenol as well limited lowering
T2 ;7 years
HbA1c 5.1(october 2010)
Met,500mgx2
Benfotiamine 150 mg
Psyllium 2 Tbsp
Vit C 1000mg + 2 gm lysine 1.5 gm proline
4gm fish oil

Bridget42

Bridget42

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you Axiom - that makes sense to me. I've seen various sites that say the green fruit is the one to use - the riper version doesn't work as well. I tried it and was so disgusted with the taste that I'll try out the capsules instead. I'll post some results when I get a good idea of what is does - if anything. It's 'supposed' to be similar to Metformin but without the side effects.

Belfrybat

Belfrybat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I use Nature's Herbs bitter melon capsules -- $7.00 for a month's supply from Vita Cost. I have a variable response. Sometimes it really works well and other times I don't see a difference. But overall I think it has helped lower my A1c.
T2 for 7 years. A1c 5.6.
10 u Lantus at night, 1000 mg. metformin 2X daily, R insulin as needed (rarely)

Bridget42

Bridget42

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I use Nature's Herbs bitter melon capsules -- $7.00 for a month's supply from Vita Cost.

Thanks for that site! I see that they have another brand (NSI) that is less $ and would be better for me because I have to pay shipping to Australia.
Does anyone have any experience with that brand?

Moonpie

Moonpie

• Seniors
  • 3,927 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I bought a vial of them, but have not yet noticed an effect, anyone else with an experience to post?

:D

shyam

shyam

• Seniors
  • 1,030 posts
Bridget,

Do you also take any other oral medications. IMHO once you are diagonised as a Diabetic, most of the damage to the pancreatic beta cells is already done and Natural supplements might not work so well. Another important factor would be the manufacturer and getting a lab test done on the stuff, just to be sure that no metformin or other diabetes drugs have been added to the capsules. These are just my thoughts & not binding on you or anyone.

Good Luck
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

Bridget42

Bridget42

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Shyam - I am diet controlled only and keeping 1 hour PP numbers below 8.0 mostly. I have read - somewhere - that Bitter Melon helps with insulin resistance rather than a beta cell stimulant if that makes sense. I only received my order 2 days ago so have only just started them. I have noticed a drop in 1 hour PP numbers but that happens randomly anyway I've noticed and they are just as likely to be up tomorrow with the same foods!

I'm actually wondering what dose people take of this. I bought the NSI brand 'Bitter melon Fruit 900mg (from VitaCost) which says 'take 2 daily as a supplement' Other brands say to take a lot more so has anyone had experience with what works for these?

janoyan

janoyan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Bridget 42:
I am a new member and was interested to find if any one out there had used bitter melon in any form. I was told, after a recent blood test, that my 105 level has put me on the verge of becoming a type 2 . So I have been using the fresh bitter melon, as juice, as a salad mix, or in cooking in stir fry and much more. Our local Asian grocers have an abundance of it fresh each week. I have seen improvement in my glucose level to as low at 80. But usualy around the 95 level now, depending on the time of day.
I don't wish to give anyone false hopes or convince you to try fresh bitter melon. Especially if you are on insulin or other diabetes medication. I am told that this can have serious adverse consequences and must be brought to the attention of your doctor or care giver before you try to use bitter melon along with your other treatments for your situation.
Be happy to hear from you or answer any question you or other member may have.
Best
Janoyan

Bridget42

Bridget42

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well - after all that - I have been told by my dietitian that since my tests are OK without Bitter Melon - and since it's not a good idea to stimulate my pancreas to produce more insulin and wear out my remaining beta cells earlier than necessary -that I shouldn't use Bitter Melon!
Thank you all for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users