Kombucha

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Anyone here drink kombucha with your diabetes? I searched, but couldn't find anything on the subject. I am going to start making my own, there hasn't been any in the store since they took it off the shelves (darn lindsey lohan :(). Anyway, I didn't know if the original had any sugar content at all in it, I don't think there would be because the culture eats it in the fermenting process, but not sure.
Cathy mom of James 4/15/06 and Maggie 9/11/11
Dx on 7/9/2010.:slug::turtle:
A1c on 12/15/11 = 6.1 Yay!!!
A1c on 1/26/11 = 7.9 :( Christmas stress!
A1c on 11/19/2010= 6.0 :D C-Peptide = .71
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1
Insulin pump with humalog
www.cathyanddave.blogspot.com
http://cathyanddaveh...y.blogspot.com/

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

Anyone here drink kombucha with your diabetes? I searched, but couldn't find anything on the subject. I am going to start making my own, there hasn't been any in the store since they took it off the shelves (darn lindsey lohan :(). Anyway, I didn't know if the original had any sugar content at all in it, I don't think there would be because the culture eats it in the fermenting process, but not sure.

I think only the overpriced really expensive pre-mixed teas have sugar in them to make it more pallatable. I have a friend who's made and grown her own for years but since I couldn't find anything on how it stresses the kidneys or liver (both of which I'm supposed to be mindful of) I opted it was in my best interest not to take it. Best of luck to you though!

Fawn

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
My daughter is a vegan chef in Southern California and they all drink it. It is very expensive. I looked up how to make it and it is very involved and you have to get a kombucha starter. Yes, it does have sugar in it. I'm not sure if you could make it without the sugar. It supposed to have many health benefits from the starter. My other daughter spent a semester in Argentina and started drinking a tea like drink called Mate. It is the national drink down there. They mix the mate at the bottom and pour in boiling water and sip it through a special mate cup with a straw. It has some of the same benefits, lots of B vitamins and it gives you energy

Make Kombucha Tea

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
Yeah, I've made it before and the culture is supposed to eat the sugar. You drink it just the way it is after its fermented or you can add fruit juice to it, which is what most do. I did actually find in reading my instructions again where it talks about the sugars you can use and it talked about how to make it for diabetics. I put in 1/2 the sugar and add one Tbls of molasses. We'll see how it goes after its done in 10-12 days. I'm excited to see how my blood sugar reacts to it.

I have drank mate before too, its good, but it has caffeine in it and I don't do well on caffeine so I will stick with my Kombucha, its actually not too hard to make once you get the hang of it.

Here is my fermenting jar of Kombucha I just put up. Got the scoby from a local gal off of craigslist. :)

Cathy and Dave's Blog: Kombucha Fermenting
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Hi Kathy,

Isn't Tea one of the main ingredients in Kombucha? That has caffeine.

I make Water Kefir and it starts with honey, sugar and raisins but the 'grains' feed on the sugar and it is not adverse to my husband's Blood Sugar.

I have thought about making Kombucha but it takes a while to ferment, the Water Kefir is much quicker. I give it a 24 hour 1st ferment then remove the grains and the raisins and let it go for another 24 with more raisins. We drink a small glass in the evening, it is mildly alcoholic. We eat the raisins in the morning.

I will go check out the photos.

Janice

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

• 500 plus
  • 2,557 posts
I'm confused:confused:.

Are you guys talking about seaweed tea from Japan? The Japanese do not put sugar in their teas.

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts

Hi Kathy,

Isn't Tea one of the main ingredients in Kombucha? That has caffeine.

I make Water Kefir and it starts with honey, sugar and raisins but the 'grains' feed on the sugar and it is not adverse to my husband's Blood Sugar.

I have thought about making Kombucha but it takes a while to ferment, the Water Kefir is much quicker. I give it a 24 hour 1st ferment then remove the grains and the raisins and let it go for another 24 with more raisins. We drink a small glass in the evening, it is mildly alcoholic. We eat the raisins in the morning.

I will go check out the photos.

Janice

I used green tea. I didn't think green tea had caffeine, hmmm. It says you can use green, black, or white tea, or a mixture of them. I just looked it up and its half of what black tea is, but white tea is even better, I should get that next time. Coffee is 16 milligrams, black tea is 5, green tea is 2.5 and white is 2.

Yeah, I've thought about making water kefir, but we really like Kombucha. Can't wait, we'll have two going next time. It makes a gallon and it can last up to 30 days in the fridge. It will be gone in no time though. LOL!
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts

I'm confused:confused:.

Are you guys talking about seaweed tea from Japan? The Japanese do not put sugar in their teas.

No, this is a fermented tea with no seaweed in it. It is made with a culture.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Doesn't the culture come from some kind of mushroom or fungus.

FarmerCathy

FarmerCathy

• 500 plus
  • 617 posts
It's actually not a mushroom. It's a scoby. Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast. :)

If anyone wants to know I got my first scoby a year ago on e-bay, though when I moved across the country it got contaminated so that is why I am just starting out again. The lady I got it from gives easy detailed instructions on how to do it correctly. I couldn't find her on there, but there are many on there.
A1c on 9/15/2010 = 7.1!
A1C on 7/9/2010 = 9.1

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

• 500 plus
  • 2,557 posts

No, this is a fermented tea with no seaweed in it. It is made with a culture.

Thanks. I haven't heard of this before. A good piece of info to confuse my Japanese friends. :D

gphx

gphx

• 500 plus
  • 575 posts
We drink it in our household.

The following is the conclusion section from a study showing kombucha alleviated the rat model of diabetes:

Overall, the present study demonstrated that the hypoglycemic and antilipidemic activities
exhibited by kombucha tea were effective enough to alleviate alloxan-induced diabetes in
experimental rats. The beneficial effect of dietary kombucha is presumably attributed to its
potent hypoglycemic and antilipidemic properties, as well as antioxidant potential. Further
studies are obviously needed to capitalize on the protective effects of kombucha tea in
humans and to make its use suitable as an effective functional food with therapeutic potential.
The findings presented in this work are encouraging and substantiate the search for newer
pharmacophores in kombucha behind the hypoglycemic and antilipidemic effects. The
possible mechanisms underlying the inhibition of pancreatic α-amylase and lipase are also yet
to be studied.[/
B]

http://www.biomedcen...-6882-12-63.pdf
T2, diet and exercise, 5'11" and 152 lbs.
if I vary from a very low carb diet my bg can range from 50s-280s in one day despite a now barely normal A1C
under control at the moment thanks to low carb but diabetic for life

gphx

gphx

• 500 plus
  • 575 posts
This newer study finds the fermented, tea based beverage kombucha (something like a dilute vinegar) alleviates the rat model of diabetes:

Overall, the present study demonstrated that the hypoglycemic and antilipidemic activities
exhibited by kombucha tea were effective enough to alleviate alloxan-induced diabetes in
experimental rats. The beneficial effect of dietary kombucha is presumably attributed to its
potent hypoglycemic and antilipidemic properties, as well as antioxidant potential. Further
studies are obviously needed to capitalize on the protective effects of kombucha tea in
humans and to make its use suitable as an effective functional food with therapeutic potential.
The findings presented in this work are encouraging and substantiate the search for newer
pharmacophores in kombucha behind the hypoglycemic and antilipidemic effects. The
possible mechanisms underlying the inhibition of pancreatic α-amylase and lipase are also yet
to be studied.

http://www.biomedcen...-6882-12-63.pdf

Though it can be bought in stores instructions abound on the internet showing how to make it at home for pennies a batch.
T2, diet and exercise, 5'11" and 152 lbs.
if I vary from a very low carb diet my bg can range from 50s-280s in one day despite a now barely normal A1C
under control at the moment thanks to low carb but diabetic for life

PinkRose

PinkRose

• 500 plus
  • 599 posts
Many years ago I drank Kombucha tea made my my former mother-in-law, who insisted all members of the family should drink it. It was a fermented thing that comes from a mushroom/fungus. I think water & some other ingredients are added to it (sugar? vinegar? or both? not sure) & the mushroom goes ahead & devours it to produce a tea that we all drank because it has amazing health benefits. it did have a vinegar taste from memory. I got used to it & drank it as a way to feel part of my new family! I'm sure it did me some good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users