- - - - - diabetes graveyard shift sleeping type 1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

nickichicki

nickichicki

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My husband has been diabetic for about 8 months. He got a job working the night shift about 5 months ago. It seems like all he does is sleep! He gets home at 7am and sleeps until 7 or 8pm. I dont think this is normal behavior and im really worried about him. He does check his sugars often and we went to the doc last week and his A1C is really good but im still worried. Is there anyone else who has had this problem?

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Welcome Nicki,

Working the night shift can be awfully hard on the body. I did it for a short time several years ago, and was unable to sleep well at all. It's great that he can sleep, but 12 hours is not healthy, just like sleeping too little isn't good. How is his mood?
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• Seniors
  • 1,991 posts
Night shifts are hard yes, i would try and get him to get up at about 2-3pm 7-8 hrs is abt right for sleeping. As long as he's taking his meds and checking his blood regularly i wouldn't overly worry tho. It may just be his body clock needs a little longer than normal to adjust. I hope the curtains on your windows are thick, having light shine through will affect his sleep pattern as well.
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
I found that night shifts really stuffed with my sleep, my enegy, and my blood sugars. I found these kind of hours a problem and exacerbated any health issues. Take away the blood sugar issues I found - the fatigue and oversleeping were still problems.

I've seen non diabetic colleagues, when working erratic long hours without sleep etc, go from supermen full of energy to have terminally stuffed up health day after day a few months later, seemingly from constantly disrupting their sleep. My thought is that shift work is something that some people get along with fine and others really don't. I hope that if your husband just doesn't get on with night shift, that that situation can change.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Mussakka

Mussakka

• Seniors
  • 808 posts
I worked night shift for a few years. Not fun. My body never could adjust to it fully, but one thing that helped was to keep the same nocturnal schedule even on my days off. I used the time alone at night to read and learn about subjects that interested me, so in many ways it was a positive experience. I did sleep longer hours, though. It's harder to sleep in the day time with all the noises of life around. Getting the bedroom as dark as possible helped a lot. I had some coworkers who even blocked the light with aluminum foil in the windows.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes, graveyard shift, sleeping, type 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users