• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

rainbowacreshs

rainbowacreshs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi...
I'm 13 weeks pregnant, with two other children (both gestational diabetes). I tested a month ago for the early glucola test and drs said it was normal (high range 130's). I started testing again just to help get in the practice and honesty with my diet. Over the last few days I've gotten sick w/ bronchitis and needed to start using albuterol sulfate in the nebulizer. I've started seeing spikes after meals.
For example Fasting BS 83
1hr after breakfast 98
1hr after lunch (bad me 2 slices pizza) 183, 2nd hour 147 (did neb treatment 30 mins before eating)
havent eaten dinner yet today...
yesterday FSBS 84
1 hr after breakfst 103
1hr after lunch 139
1 hr after dinner 170, 2nd hour 133 (again did neb treatment about 30 min before eating)
I've been tracking BS since 10/9 and hadn't had any spikes like this until the last two days, is it because I'm trying to get over being sick and possibly eaten a heavy carb load at that particular meal? Or could the albuterol be aggervating my blood sugar levels?
All my FSBS have all been below 90 so I'm really confused. I'm trying very hard to maintain an exercise of 30 min walking at the least every other day, do not eat many sugary things (very very rare anymore).
I have lost 20lbs and kept it off after my 2nd child (who is almost 3). Have only gained 4lbs since the beginning of this pregnancy.
Maybe I'm rambling and being a worry wort..
Not sure what to think.. would appreciate input

aiah23

aiah23

• Seniors
  • 1,748 posts

Hi...
I'm 13 weeks pregnant, with two other children (both gestational diabetes). I tested a month ago for the early glucola test and drs said it was normal (high range 130's). I started testing again just to help get in the practice and honesty with my diet. Over the last few days I've gotten sick w/ bronchitis and needed to start using albuterol sulfate in the nebulizer. I've started seeing spikes after meals.
For example Fasting BS 83
1hr after breakfast 98
1hr after lunch (bad me 2 slices pizza) 183, 2nd hour 147 (did neb treatment 30 mins before eating)
havent eaten dinner yet today...
yesterday FSBS 84
1 hr after breakfst 103
1hr after lunch 139
1 hr after dinner 170, 2nd hour 133 (again did neb treatment about 30 min before eating)
I've been tracking BS since 10/9 and hadn't had any spikes like this until the last two days, is it because I'm trying to get over being sick and possibly eaten a heavy carb load at that particular meal? Or could the albuterol be aggervating my blood sugar levels?
All my FSBS have all been below 90 so I'm really confused. I'm trying very hard to maintain an exercise of 30 min walking at the least every other day, do not eat many sugary things (very very rare anymore).
I have lost 20lbs and kept it off after my 2nd child (who is almost 3). Have only gained 4lbs since the beginning of this pregnancy.
Maybe I'm rambling and being a worry wort..
Not sure what to think.. would appreciate input

Aside from the pizza lunch you don't mention what else you're eating carb and fat-wise that could affect your 2 hr post prandials. It isn't necessarily sugar that'll spike it (as you saw with the pizza)...other notorious culprits include potatoes, pasta, white flour products, cereal, you get the idea. I would say that apart from that your fasting is excellent but you're still spiking higher post meals which tells me you need something to help you process the carbs you're eating during pregnancy (insulin is the first thing that comes to mind). B/c your fasting blood sugar is good it doesn't appear that you need a basal insulin at this point (you do not mention what your pre-meal readings are but if they're great like your fasting blood sugars it probably isn't an issue). I don't think your spikes are necessarily linked to your inhaler (you really need to give people your pre-meal readings and an indication of what you're eating for those meals...that'll allow members to give you some better suggestions). the way to check that would be to use the inhaler in between meals and test an hour and 2 hrs after using the inhaler to see if the spike you're experiencing is related to that, or simply to your carb intake.

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI
Sleep deprived first time mommy working full time! :eek:
A1C: 6.7 as of 04/28/12

rainbowacreshs

rainbowacreshs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The last two days I did take in higher carbs than I normally do....For the last three years I have maintained a low carb lifestyle (again took 20lbs off and have kept it off).
Premeal numbers are in the low 80's -90 .
The 170 meal thinking about it.. I did have a larger portion of potatos than I normally do..and the bread..
Normally my post meal numbers have always been below 135..so it could be I just had two meals that was overloaded w/ carbs and this needs to be my reminder to stay tight w/ my diet.
I try to avoid breads--and opt for low carb subsitutes, maintain small portions of potato (if any at all) and try to load up on the good veggies and protiens.
I try to keep most of meals at 40g carb or less. (so that means normally i measure everything)..
I've never had to use any type of insulin, both previous pregnancies responded very very good to both diet and exercise control.
It has been my goal for the last three years to always treat my body like a diabetic, simply because it runs in my family, and I want to live a healthy lifestyle not only for me but by example for my family.
I hope that helps for more info.

aiah23

aiah23

• Seniors
  • 1,748 posts

The last two days I did take in higher carbs than I normally do....For the last three years I have maintained a low carb lifestyle (again took 20lbs off and have kept it off).
Premeal numbers are in the low 80's -90 .
The 170 meal thinking about it.. I did have a larger portion of potatos than I normally do..and the bread..
Normally my post meal numbers have always been below 135..so it could be I just had two meals that was overloaded w/ carbs and this needs to be my reminder to stay tight w/ my diet.
I try to avoid breads--and opt for low carb subsitutes, maintain small portions of potato (if any at all) and try to load up on the good veggies and protiens.
I try to keep most of meals at 40g carb or less. (so that means normally i measure everything)..
I've never had to use any type of insulin, both previous pregnancies responded very very good to both diet and exercise control.
It has been my goal for the last three years to always treat my body like a diabetic, simply because it runs in my family, and I want to live a healthy lifestyle not only for me but by example for my family.
I hope that helps for more info.

That does help thanks:) sounds like you just have to be consistent about measuring out your carbs then:) I know during pregnancy that's tough b/c the baby seems to really dictate what you eat (at least that's what it feels like the first trimester). That said, just try to be a little more diligent. As your pregnancy progresses, the hormones, placenta, etc are going to cause more insulin resistance (usually, YMMV). There is always a possibility that you'll be placed on insulin if your body stops responding the way it should (and it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong really). Keep doing your best and good look with the rest of your pregnancy!

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI

ZoraP

ZoraP

• Members
  • 327 posts
I had GD with all three of my babies and noticed that I was even less carb-tolerant the third time around. This may be the same for you. I went very low carb for most of my pregnancy and was just fine, though. (And I don't think ketones hurt the baby, but that's just my opinion.) Delivery was easy, baby was born healthy and not too big. But I couldn't even eat half a slice of pizza, that's for sure. If you notice continuing difficulty you could ask about metformin, which is ok for use during pregnancy. I preferred to just use diet if I could, though.

Another comment: you're right to treat yourself as a pre-diabetic. Be sure to keep up with monitoring your glucose levels after delivery. This time around mine never came down, so I'm using the Bernstein approach to control my numbers. It works great as long as I stick to it. ;)
Gestational diabetes 3x, controlled with diet. Didn't resolve after last baby.
No formal diagnosis.
A1c 4 June 2010: 5.8
No meds
Low-carb diet
Goal: A1c = 5.0

rainbowacreshs

rainbowacreshs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the support..
since those two big spikes I haven't had any others..but then am keeping a tight control on diet..all after meals since then have all been 130 or less. I have also managed to get back to walking each nite and that seems to keep things in good order too:) Morning blood sugar has stayed consitently below 90.
I've been doing the low carb life style for the last 3 years (4 if you count the pregnancy w/ 2nd child).
The pizza that spiked me was very very thick pan style bread...I normally do thin crust..so I know that breads like that i just stay away from and either buy low carb bread or make my own.. :)
Used a new recipe this morning..applesauce oatmeal pancakes (15g carb per 2 pancakes) ate 3, and had 1/4 cup unsweetend applesauce... after meal number>> 112 :)
Found the recipe on Taste of Home website..
Thanks for all the support

aiah23

aiah23

• Seniors
  • 1,748 posts
Congratulations and keep up the good work:)

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI

rainbowacreshs

rainbowacreshs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE....
I'm now at 20weeks.. doing great...!
On one of my previous appts, I spoke to my doctor about the two spikes..he actually said it could very well have been from being sick and the albueterol, but said (as common sense always dictates) to just be diligent about my diet.
At this point I've only gained about 7lbs, and at this point a bit under the normal weight gain, so long as I don't lose weight the dr is happy. Baby progressing normally. I've had no other spikes since being sick.
Its been so much easier to maintain a tight diet, due to the fact I never really left it after my second pregnancy. I found the GD diet to be a healthy life style change that people should not abandon just cuz the GD leaves after birth.
Talked w/ a lady recently that had GD issues with her first two..she made huge lifestyle changes after the 2nd birth and during her third had NO issues at all (including not being diagnosed GD) during 3rd pregnancy...so there is hope! I've learned its a matter of making those changes during pregnancy and keeping them afterwards! Type 2 can be prevented..and when you have the chance to change your life for the better then by golly DO IT!
Thanks for all the support this forum offers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users