- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

blporter11

blporter11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
A little personal history: 64 year old male, had not seen a doctor in 20 years. Last August I was bit by a scorpion and went to a walk-in clinic. Doc treated my bite, then talked me into a physical. Results were not good, A1C 9.2, BP super high, cholestrol very high, and thryroid levels low. Put me on Metformin, Lipitor, Lisinopril and Levothyroxine.
I took it serious and my A1C was down to 6.1 at three months, 5.8 at 6 months, 5.9 at 9 months. Other levels in normal range.
In June, I quit drinking beer (8-12 daily), and smoking (2 packs a day). In July I was getting dizzy, blood pressure was too low and the doc stopped the Lisinopril. All has been well since, except:
I do miss the beer, not the alcohol, just the taste. I recently started drinking NA beer, O'Doul's and Clausthaler, great taste! But now I notice that my glucose levels at night are in the 190's and low 200's, much higher then before. What's up with that? There are no labels on NA beer for sugar content, can it be that high? Do I have to give this up to? I'm crying in my non alcohalic beer.
Thanks,
Bill

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Sugar is just a subset of carbs. It is carb information you want to get savvy with and keep an eye on. There are some pretty low carb beers out there, maybe there are lower carb na beers too.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• 500 plus
  • 1,111 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
As with all food you are better off with a regular beer than a beer that has been doctored into having no alcohol.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Not if you have addiction or restraint problems. I don't think low or no alcohol beers are overly meddled with, have a different fermentation process. Of course if concerned about additional nasties etc, would be something too check up on a case by case basis. As with alcoholic drinks, too.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

inkvisitor

inkvisitor

• 500 plus
  • 976 posts
The NA beers I have seen have had 12+ grams of carbs each - light beers generally have much less (Bud Light is something like 6.6g, Select 3g).

If I'm going to have a couple, I go with the low carb ones, but after that I have the typical alcohol lows, so the higher carb actually works out okay (but I still test like crazy)..

If you want to stay with NA beer, you'd have to factor it in to your diet like any other food (drink to your meter)..

As an example, Budweiser publishes some nutritional information for their full line here:
http://nutritional.anheuser-busch.com/
Type 1 since 02/1990

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,181 posts
I can't seem to stay on top of my BS drinking regular beer that 12 to 20 grams of carbs per 12 oz bottle seems to hit me fast and hard.
I've been drinking the Bud Select (3g) with good results. Unfortunatly the nonalchoholic entries on the page Inkvisitor refers to are 13 to 18 grams.
This article seems to suggest that a few German Nonalcoholic brews may be reasonably low carb. I couldn't tolerate the Odouls (13g) or Becks (20g)
Top 5 Nonalcoholic Low Calorie Beers from Germany and the US - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Lantus & Novalog MDI

blporter11

blporter11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the URL's, they were most enlightning. Clausthaler appears to be the NA beer with the lowest carbs, more expensive but great taste. I'll stick with it. As inkvisitor suggests, it's time that I started getting smart about carbs, and not just sugar content. This forum looks like an ideal place to start, I'll spend a few hours reading past posts.

Bill

Allan7935

Allan7935

• 500 plus
  • 148 posts
A carbohydrate is a sugar molecule, in other words, pure sugar.

If you have a tendency to high blood glucose levels, you should get a copy of "The Calorie King, calories, fat and carbohydrates." It covers about every kind of food there is.

May I suggest that this little book is essential to watching your grams of carbs.

Allan
Dx Prediabetic 07/09 (PP 160)
A1c 07/09: 6.7;
A1c 11/09: 5.5;
A1c 03/10: 5.4
No meds
Low carb diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users