Photo

Metformin - best time to take, and insulin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was diagnosed with Type II last winter and have been on Metformin. I realize that it needs to be taken with food and I have had no problem with it, except perhaps gas. I didn't know that was from the metformin until I read it here. I was wondering though if the efficacy of metformin is decreased if you take it too long after a meal. Sometimes I forget to take it with dinner and much later I will realize that and have somthing small to eat and take it then. Should that make a difference in my blood sugar test in the morning?

Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. I have never participated in this type of forum before and I found it a bit difficult to figure out exactly where I should be putting my question.

I also had one other question -- I am going on vacation during which time I know I will not be watching my sugar as well as I do normally; mainly I would like to be able to enjoy cocktails and wine during that time. Has anyone ever heard of a person taking insulin during a time like that of higher than normal sugar consumption? When I was very first diagnosed my doctor had me on insulin for a couple of months to stabilize my blood sugar. Since then it has stayed in a very acceptable range.

Thanks very much for your help.

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,242 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I take the maximum amount of metformin - 2550 and never take it with food. It works just fine. I think they tell you to take it with food so it doesn't upset your stomach. But I have never had problems. If you eat lots of food with fiber it might help you with the gas from metformin. I take metformin 3 x a day. When I wake up, around 11:30-noon and right before bed. As far as wine, I enjoy wine every night, no problems,in fact it sometimes lowers my bg. When I go on vacation and overeat I just try to get more exercise. I doubt your doctor will give you insulin just for that. There are some oral drugs like pranadin (sp) that will overstimulate your pancreas and allow you to produce more insulin. The only problem is that it can produce lows. Some people use it when they overeat.

Belfrybat

Belfrybat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I take 1000 mg. metformin twice a day and don't worry about whether with meals or not. As to insulin when travelling, I find it to be a pain. Except for Lantus as a basal, I skip bolusing and use Prandin instead. I've never had a hypo with Prandin as I'm cautious as to the dosage. Yes, it excites the pancreatic beta cells, but it only has a one hour half life, so is short acting unlike meds like glipizide which continue to work for 6+/- hours. I get prandin at an off-shore pharmacy without a prescription. PM me if the you want the URL.
T2 for 7 years. A1c 5.6.
10 u Lantus at night, 1000 mg. metformin 2X daily, R insulin as needed (rarely)

Belfrybat

Belfrybat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
BYW, if you prefer insulin, you can get Regular without a prescription in most states. But I've had several hypos with R when drinking, so please do be careful if you go that route.
T2 for 7 years. A1c 5.6.
10 u Lantus at night, 1000 mg. metformin 2X daily, R insulin as needed (rarely)

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the responses. There is so much here that I am totally unfamiliar with, such as prandin, and being able to get insulin without an Rx. I was on 5u of Lantus at night to stabilize for about two months, but I have not used it since then. I am on 500 mg of the metformin two times a day. I have tried to get into exercising also to help control it. Today, coincidentally, I am sick - headache and nausea. This is a new experience so I was just checking to see what I should do about diet. I always used to eat toast and drink either ginger ale or coke when my stomach was upset but I am trying to not overdo those things. Soup does not appeal to me. I have barely been able to hold down some gatorade. I think I will try a couple of scrambled eggs.

jsimms435

jsimms435

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Mary,
I've been on metformin for about 9 years now. Started on just 500 mg once a day and now on 2,000 mg a day. It does upset my stomach if I don't eat with it. It does have an effect on my morning blood sugar if I forget the night before. I take one with breakfast and one with dinner.

My new blog is at

http://journeywithdiabetestype2.blogspot.com/

I am type 2 diabetic since 2001. On Lantus, Humalog and metformin.  

My son also has type 1 diabetes 

Todd G.

Todd G.

• Seniors
  • 1,083 posts
Mary, what are your numbers? I'm just curious as to the range you find acceptable. Also, drinking Gatorade is not a good idea for a diabetic. It has as much sugar in it as many soft drinks. You can go without food for a few days if necessary, so water might be your best option, and is certainly a better option than Gatorade, Coke, and toast.

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,911 posts
Taking metformin with meals, reduces your glucose spike. That is the second reason for taking it with meals.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2

2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4

2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9

2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)

2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1

2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

fg1

fg1

• Members
  • 127 posts

Taking metformin with meals, reduces your glucose spike. That is the second reason for taking it with meals.

My spikes still seem quite large (50-70) but they come down in about 90 minutes. I have only been taking it for about 8 days, I do notice all around better numbers though, especially in the morning (7's instead of 10's). It seems each dose lasts around 12 hours and take around 1 hour to 90 minutes to work.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I take my metformin (500 mg 2 pills/day) both at about 10pm, which helps with my morning numbers. I don't take it with food (though i'm sure my stomach isn'tcompletely empty).

I do notice the later in the evening I eat, as well as the more carbs I have for dinner, affects my morning blood sugar.

Regarding alcohol, for me, I find that I am more sensitive to alcohol than I was prior to diagnosis. Until you know how it affects you personally, make sure you've got something to eat along with your drink, and keep an eye on your blood sugar. Avoid sugary mixes as well.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

don1942

don1942

• Seniors
  • 584 posts
In the past, alcohol caused some lows starting about one - two hours after drinking and highs about 8 hours after drinking. Last week, however, I only had one 6 oz glass of wine with dinner two nights in a row and on both occasions I experienced sever hypos (48) starting 1 hour after dinner which required a lot of carbs to bring it back into the normal range. I must have over compensated because I woke up at 2:00 am with a 324. I continued to bolis 2 - 3 units every hour for 6 hours and was still at 178 at 8 am. I bolised my usual amount at breakfest, but continued to stay between 154 and 190 until 3pm despite occasional bolises as recommended by my pump.

Don't know if I have become more sensitive to alcohol, but I would recommend to everyone to use your monitor more often if you plan on drinking alcohol.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Mary, what are your numbers? I'm just curious as to the range you find acceptable. Also, drinking Gatorade is not a good idea for a diabetic. It has as much sugar in it as many soft drinks. You can go without food for a few days if necessary, so water might be your best option, and is certainly a better option than Gatorade, Coke, and toast.

My A1C has been around 5.6. I only take my bg in the morning and it's typically in the 80's but occasionally in the 70's or 90's.
I realize that gatorade is not the best thing to be drinking but I thought it might be preferable to other carbonated beverages since it has electrolytes in it. Nothing really appealed to me except toast.

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I take 1000 mg. metformin twice a day and don't worry about whether with meals or not. As to insulin when travelling, I find it to be a pain. Except for Lantus as a basal, I skip bolusing and use Prandin instead. I've never had a hypo with Prandin as I'm cautious as to the dosage. Yes, it excites the pancreatic beta cells, but it only has a one hour half life, so is short acting unlike meds like glipizide which continue to work for 6+/- hours. I get prandin at an off-shore pharmacy without a prescription. PM me if the you want the URL.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is bolusing, what is Prandin, and when you say PM you, what do you mean? These are terms I am not familiar with. Thanks.

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,242 posts
Prandin is an oral med that overstimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin which may keep your bg lower. It works for a specific amount of time and then is out of yours system. You need your doctor to write an Rx for it. It is not something you would want to use all the time. Bolusing is a terms people use who use meal time insulin. They can calculate the amount of carbs and increase their insulin levels. In Canada you can usually purchase some insulin without a Rx. I checked into Northwest Pharmacy in BC and the price for insulin pens is a lot cheaper than the US. In Walmart you can buy R and N insulin in a vial without an Rx but I don't think you can buy pens without a Rx. PM means a private message.

shyam

shyam

• Seniors
  • 1,030 posts
Mary,

Metformin works on the liver by restricting it from releasing glycogen (stored glucose) into the system. So it really does not matter when you take it. Personally I take it right before jumping into bed. It helps lower my morning numbers and then makes it easy for me to manage my BGs for the day. With your numbers you shouldn't be too worried about some binging on your vacation. However, toast, colas & Gatorade are avoidable for diabetics.

Good Luck.
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks to all, you are a wealth of information. I really appreciate it. I don't have anyone amongst my friends whom I can discuss this with and frankly I have not told many people. No one in my family has ever had diabetes but no one had ever been as heavy as I let myself get either, so I feel rather ashamed because it was obviously my own darned fault that this happened.

PlantCityRose

PlantCityRose

• Members
  • 205 posts
Being heavy may have been your fault, only may. Having diabetes is not. It is just the luck of the draw. It is your job to control it as best you can. Exercise, diet, meds are all ways to do that. Test before you eat, then about 2 hours after. It is the only way to know if you glucose levels are where they should be.

I take my metformin first thing in the morning and about 6 pm, my suppertime. I take long acting insulin (basal) in the evening before bedtime. Before I eat, I determine how many carbs I plan on eating. Then I take a fast acting insulin (bolus).
basal: (30 - 35 units) Novolin N bolus: (I:C 1u:5g) Novolin R
Metformin - 500 mg x2 Lisinopril - 5 mg Furosemide - 10 mg

HbA1c
Jun 15, 2010 - 13.8, 272#, FBG 370
Aug 23, 2010 - 10.3, 236#, FBG 95
Nov 24, 2010 - 5.8, 226#, FBG 95
Feb 14, 2011 - 5.6, 216#, FBG 85
New Doctor: March 28, 2011 - 5.5, 214#, FBG 85
:D

"Angry people want you to see how powerful they are ~ loving people want you to see how powerful You are." Chief Red Eagle

Mary Sweets

Mary Sweets

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I feel better that if I do forget to take my metformin with dinner it is OK to take it later. 500 mg of metformin two times a day is the only diabetes medication I am on, but I do try pretty hard most of the time to control my carbs.

ZoraP

ZoraP

• Members
  • 327 posts
Mary, please don't beat yourself up over diabetes. There's evidence that weight gain happens in people who are already having insulin regulation issues, so perhaps the pre-diabetic metabolic syndrome is responsible for your weight instead of it being the other way around. In any case it isn't your fault, but there are things you can do to help yourself now that you're at this point.

Have you looked at this website? [url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php]Blood Sugar 101[/url] It's got very useful, easy-to-use information.

For your upcoming trip I suggest taking your monitor and testing after meals/drinks, too. Even on vacation it's a good idea to stay in control.
Gestational diabetes 3x, controlled with diet. Didn't resolve after last baby.
No formal diagnosis.
A1c 4 June 2010: 5.8
No meds
Low-carb diet
Goal: A1c = 5.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users