Photo

Have you ever given yourself Humalog instead of Lantus by Mistake?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

luckharm

luckharm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
So, this morning, I went to give myself the usual 16 units of Lantus for my long lasting insulin and by mistake I injected from the Humalog pen. As soon as I did it, I realized my mistake and panic set it. Oh no! I just took in 16 units of fast acting insulin! I could crash at any moment. Luckily I was at home, so, I just drank a huge glass of orange juice and prayed! My morning BG number was a little high (162) so I was hoping that I had counter-balanced the high dose of Humalog. I waited 15 min and took my BG reading again. It was 182, so I guess I overcompensated wit the OJ. So then, we went out for breakfast and I injected myself with 3 more units of Humalog to cover the Portobello Eggs Benedict I ate. Everything was fine until I started shaking at about 11:30Am. Took my BG count and it was 42. So, now I am drinking more OJ. I think I am OK now, but this was a very scary episode for me.

Has anyone else ever done this??:eek:

Margie
Type 1.5
Diagnosed 6/08
A1C - 10.7 on 6/08
A1C - 8.9 on 8/09
A1C - 7.2 on 11/10
A1C - 6.7 on 12/11
A1C - 7.2 on 11/12

A1C - 7.1 on 3/13

A1C - 7.1 on 4/14
Lantus -15 units per day
Humalog - 14 units per day

PlantCityRose

PlantCityRose

• Members
  • 205 posts
I once took my fast-acting insulin instead of basal insulin. I did it at night. I realized it when I went to set the vial down. Panic set in. I drank a glass of OJ. Then I tested every 30 minutes. I stayed up until things settled down back to normal. {110} OK that may not be considered normal, but I was afraid to sleep that night.

I am very careful to not let that happen again.
basal: (30 - 35 units) Novolin N bolus: (I:C 1u:5g) Novolin R
Metformin - 500 mg x2 Lisinopril - 5 mg Furosemide - 10 mg

HbA1c
Jun 15, 2010 - 13.8, 272#, FBG 370
Aug 23, 2010 - 10.3, 236#, FBG 95
Nov 24, 2010 - 5.8, 226#, FBG 95
Feb 14, 2011 - 5.6, 216#, FBG 85
New Doctor: March 28, 2011 - 5.5, 214#, FBG 85
:D

"Angry people want you to see how powerful they are ~ loving people want you to see how powerful You are." Chief Red Eagle

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,039 posts
Been there, done that. I'm lucky though. I was at work surrounded by people. Had I been at home, I would have been alone.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• Seniors
  • 1,120 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Yep you gotta take the carbs and monitor BG for 4-6 hours to be sure that the insulin has finished doing its job.

Also when in doubt, don't take ANY MORE insulin until you are 100% sure the previous insulin dose has cleared your system.

Try not to panic and think the situation thru just make sure you have liquid carbs (OJ, Coke, etc) at hand.

IF it is a BIG overdose, call 911 right away. If you wait you may never call.

liz32

liz32

• Seniors
  • 1,338 posts
yes, I mistakenly took my novorapid instead of levemir... for me that mean 70 units of rapid... I was in rough shape... ate all night and checked my sugars very hour, my legs cramped like crazy and I was so nauseous it wasn't funny ... think that was from the insulin trying to drive my sugars down and me trying to drive my sugars up.... needless to say: I'm very careful now. I did call our on call nurse program, but they said they didn't really know much and passed me on to poison control... I wasn't impressed!!
Liz macdonald
T2 since January 2005
levemir & novo rapid

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• Seniors
  • 1,120 posts
911. It was an emergency.

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,863 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
Yes this is indeed happen to me as well, Now I am quite heavy like 275 Pounds!! And not proud of it. I have taken 70U of the old Protaphane, NPH to Americans. Instead I have taken the Novorapid!!! :( My BG was high as that was a relief as I have some time to fall. So jelly beans for breakfast anyone. :geezmate: I also take the Potaphane soon after. I tested every half hour and see the steady lower reading as I eat the beans and the bread and sausages. Man I was full. :eek::eek:

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Patient254

Patient254

• Seniors
  • 554 posts
I used to take 26 units of Lantus at night and one time I accidentally filled the syringe with 26 units of Humalog, but fortunately I realized it just in time. That was pretty scary
Laura
T1 Latest A1C is: 5.4

TommyC1

TommyC1

• Seniors
  • 1,189 posts
I did that once. Took 25u of Novalog instead of Lantus and I was low to start with. So I ate and tested and ate and tested and tested and tested and then I ate some more... and tested.
I'm glad I was home with lots of carbs to consume and not so many distractions.

Lantus & Novalog MDI

arizonagirl

arizonagirl

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did that once with 55 units of Novolog instead of Lantus when I was 13...oops. I ate 3 cans of spaghettios if I remember...definitely did not go to school the next day cause I was just not feeling right.

inkvisitor

inkvisitor

• Seniors
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I had an evening where I thought I *may* have after the fact, but everything was put away so I couldn't be sure. I guess sometimes the routine can be a little zombie-like but that sure helped to kick that habit (I always make sure to double check the vial, or at least let my eyes see the bluish color on the Levemir bottle before I do it).

Since I wasn't sure, though, I checked every 15 minutes or so to see if there was a downward trend - after an hour with nothing, I was in the clear. I did calculate it though, and I would have needed about 250g of carbs!
Type 1 since 02/1990

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

krys_coop

krys_coop

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My grandfather is a type 2 diabetic..he took 47 units of regular insulin instead of his lantus. This only happened about 30 minutes ago. I need some ideas on what to try to help level him out!

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,174 posts
Need to monitor every 15 to 30 minutes and compensate with food or glucose tabs according to what your seeing and compensate with food or glucose tabs. Probably need to stay up for the next 3 or 4 hours to make sure there are no sudden drops.

Tribbles

Tribbles

• Seniors
  • 1,953 posts

My grandfather is a type 2 diabetic..he took 47 units of regular insulin instead of his lantus. This only happened about 30 minutes ago. I need some ideas on what to try to help level him out!

Overlapped with Harold's post which is better than mine!

MBlack

MBlack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Hope Grandpa is all right Krys...

I did the same just a couple weeks ago, I'd meant to look for a thread to see who else had pulled this trick. I did 28 of Apidra instead of Lantus at bed. I knew it would happen eventually once I changed over to Apidra with it's Lantus shaped vial. Quite a few times when I've been a little low at bedtime I thought I might have switched but when I actually did it, it took me a couple tests and snacks that weren't turning the trick to realize I actually had.

I'd always worried that I wouldn't be able to consume carbs fast enough to match the insulin peak. Since I didn't realize right away, maybe an hour later, I was already low 30s and the Apidra was cookin. I woke up DW and drank sugar-water and tested, sugar-water – test, sugar-water – test for about 3 hours. Surprisingly I was only 140 or so in the morning.

jilld

jilld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did it with 35 units of humalog.. figured it out an hour later as I felt myself low for no reason and still low after treating when it hit me what I must have done... I quickly calculated how many carbs I would need.. 300! And started eating. Luckily it was potluck day at work and I haspd a fest to choose from and coworkers that I explained what happened watching over me. At one point I apparently turned white and I literally felt my body just shutting down and I told them to call 911. By the time the paramedics arrived I was back up to 80...they didn't even test me..just heeart rate and blood pressure! The rest of the day was the worst headache ever.. ended up 400 a few hours later..then couldn't get it to come back down..after that incident my insurance automatically approved a new pump!
  • Stl-T2 likes this

dancinglotus

dancinglotus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank God, no! The Lantus clicks and the Humalog is a push, so I caught myself before I made that mistake!

Denna

Denna

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh wow this has happened to me too (Twice) and I ended up in an ambulance and hospital!
I must say... Hats off to you and your courage!!! and then even going out to breakfast!
Well the result of me doing this is that my hubby has taped my pen with red 'fragile' band all the way around - on the hopes that the mistake doesn't re-occur!😳
I hope so too - it's an awful feeling isn't it?? When you realise - ooops - wrong insulin and yu're standing there, needle stuck in your tummy and you feel the panic just filling up inside you!! SHIVERS!!

shari61

shari61

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Accidental Overdose of Humalog. That was the diagnoisis when I was discharged on April 24,2013. I was having a late dinner and needed 30 units of Humag. It was also time for 100 units of Lantus( my diabetes is running amock) so I picked up my Lantus syringe and my insulin, gave myself my shot and injected 100units of Humalog. I could not believe what I had actually done. Told my daughter to get dressed and called my Dr. Hospital bound in a matter of minutes. Luckily my Numbers were high to begin with(357) 20minutes later they were 210 after eating 1 1/2 rolls of candy,3 pieces taffy and drinking Grape Juice. 20min.later at hospital 160.At Midnight they were 94. I have never eaten so much food; 2Turkey sands, 5TBLS Peanut butter, 32oz of grape juice. This whole mess started at 9 p.m. and ended at 2a.m. Was told by the Dr. That fast acting insulin reaches it max in 2 1/2 hrs. but needs to be monitered for 5hrs. I was so lucky.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,335 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
Shari, you might invest in the Solostar pens and eliminate a repeat of that. The price between a box of Solostar pens plus a box of BD pen needles...verses a vial of Lantus and a box of syringes is negligible compared to what you just went through. The difference being about $2 more a day using the Solostar pen...according to OTC prices at my local pharmacy.

sisyphus.jpg

-Like Sisyphus, that's how I roll...-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users