Photo

Blood pressure medication to protect kidneys?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
Can someone point me to some absolute proof that blood pressure medication helps prevent kidney damage in those who do not have, nor have ever had, high blood pressure?

My doctor keeps nagging me to take these and I keep refusing. The highest BP reading I have ever had is 120/76. I hate taking any medicine that isn't absolutely necessary.

raffi

raffi

• Seniors
  • 1,923 posts
I don't have absolute proof, but I was told the same thing. I was also told that a very small dose was enough to help. Small enough not to effect the blood pressure. It is a good question, what does your doctor say when you ask?

lorilei

lorilei

• Seniors
  • 3,151 posts
i am going to look for the research..b ut my understanding is that there is a significant impact to the health of the kidneys in relation to diabetes..some diabetics without high bp are placed on these..but i will verify as others should also dispute with their knoweledge...

i have both type 1 diabetes and high blood pressure..obviously neither could be controlled with diet and exercise alone..the HTN came 1st to our awareness..whenever i ask if i could titrate off my HTN meds (atenolol ( beta blocker) and hydrochlothiazide) my docs look at me like i am nuts..i am kinda of glad not to have to think about it..btw..i am fairly trim and pretty fit..eat low salt and low carb, work out 6/7 days and still need the meds to control my htn..just like the insulin..i think they will always be in my repertoire

lori ;)

Novolog ~ mm523..
ACCOMPLISHED

Still riding...
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012, June 2013
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

YOLO~ so live....

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts

I don't have absolute proof, but I was told the same thing. I was also told that a very small dose was enough to help. Small enough not to effect the blood pressure. It is a good question, what does your doctor say when you ask?

He really doesn't have a good explanation. Like most doctors he goes by what the maker of the drugs tell him and of course they would like to see every person on earth taking their pills.

aggie168

aggie168

• Seniors
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • I am a:Type 1
Since diabetes is such a personal condition, I am not sure "absolute proof" is a good word. I had took HBP medication for the last 8 years to "protect" my kidney. On my last Endo visit, he took me off it because of some new studies that points to it being not very effective to protect our kidney. I can not reference the study. OK, I do not remember.

At this moment I have my insulin to "feed me". Then I have my Aspirin 81mg and Lipitor 10mg to protect my heart. That is all I take. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Humalog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

10/2014 A1C 5.6 Chol=141 Trig=75 HDL=49 LDL=77
05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

PinkRose

PinkRose

• Seniors
  • 601 posts
I have asked the same question & understand exactly your scepticism. A nephrologist did quote me some study that apparently proved that ACE inibitors did slow down the progression of kidney disease in those patients who had kidney disease. There was also a strong indicator that it therefore protected people against kidney disease. I did not write down the name of this study but it did sound to me like an isolated study that was done somewhere which has been deemed credible.

I started taking this medication this year & immediately reported marked pain in the region of my kidneys (which the nephrologist was keen to dismiss). My blood test results showed anemia & high uric acid for the first time in my diabetic career, which my GP suggested was probably due to dehydration. He did add that all BP medication have that diuretic effect to some degree ...

My advice to you. If you really do not have blood pressure problems stay away from these drugs! You are absolutely correct in saying that if a drug is not necessary, one shouldn't be taking it!

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,664 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
For several years my BP was higher than yours in the 126-133 range/85 and my doctor never suggested BP meds. He did talk me into statins as preventative and that is another whole story. Your BP sounds perfect.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
Thanks for all the responses. By "absolute proof" I'm referring to an independent double blind study that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that blood pressure medication helps prevent kidney damage in those who do not have high blood pressure. Nothing short of this will convince me that this is not just the drug companies trying to push more of their BP drugs.

PinkRose

PinkRose

• Seniors
  • 601 posts

Thanks for all the responses. By "absolute proof" I'm referring to an independent double blind study that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that blood pressure medication helps prevent kidney damage in those who do not have high blood pressure. Nothing short of this will convince me that this is not just the drug companies trying to push more of their BP drugs.

I don't think ANY drug can satisfy that criteria. And even if there was some irrefutable high probability of it doing that, who's to guarantee that it will also work for you?

makiro

makiro

• Seniors
  • 918 posts
I take Lisinopril along with my Metformin. My mom didn't know about taking blood pressure medication with her diabetic medicine and now her kidneys only work @ 60%

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
Actually, after doing some research and talking to some health professionals, it appears that there is compelling evidence that BP medication does indeed help protect the kidneys in diabetics without high blood pressure. I now take a small daily dose of Altace.

stinastina

stinastina

• Seniors
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
  • I am a:Type 2
Well, most definitely high blood pressure can damage your kidneys and there are cases of people having hbp during the night and not so noticeable during the day. 120/80 is not considered normal anymore but pre-hbp. I don't know if your doc gets a bonus or a trip for pushing the meds or not but it could be just a preventative measure.

I just started going to a low income clinic and they gave me lisinopril in addition to my hctz and I do have hbp so I can trust that they gave it to me for a good reason.

Current meds:
2000 mg Metformin
25 mg HCTZ
50 mg Losartan

Current supplements:
Iron
Centrum Multivitamin
300mg Mega Red Krill Oil

Vitamin D

r-ALA

HbA1c

7/14 - 6.1  :D 

4/23 - 6.5  :proud:

4/14 - 6.8 
3/14 - 6.9 :D
2/14 - 7.4
1/14 - 8.1
12/13 - 7.9
4/5/10 - 6.7 :)
12/18/09 - 7.9
6/22/09 - 7.2
3/19/09 - 11.8 :eek:
2/5/09 - 10.4 (just starting meds)

I've lost 23 lbs since 1/15/14 !! :D

PinkRose

PinkRose

• Seniors
  • 601 posts
120/80 is normal healthy BP, as advised by my esteemed nephrologist.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,287 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I was told the same thing about ACE inhibitors. I was also skeptical about taking a drug that I did not need. At the time, I did not have high blood pressure. Over the years I developed high blood pressure and was put on Lotensin which is an Ace inhibitor. Honestly, if I didn't have to take it I wouldn't. However, you need to talk to your doctor about whatever choice you make and feel comfortable with your decision.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dotty

Dotty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wow....it's interesting that on the very day I get prescribed something...you guys are talking about it. My endo doc just prescribed a very low dose of Ramipril. I don't have high blood pressure. Am very fit. MY A1c result was 6.4, which I was happy with. I am on a Medtronic Pump, using Novolog. My microalbumin came back at 56.8. This isn't the first time it has come back higher than recommended but this was the highest. He said the Ramipril is an ace inhibitor and has been proven to help reduce neuropathy. I told him I didn't want to be an old woman later with a ziploc full of meds. He said that this would help. Only side effect was a dry cough and possible low blood pressure, he said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users