- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

annbo

annbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi!! Does anyone have any thoughts on what would cause swelling in ankle and foot area....Hubby is type 2 Diabetic and is experiencing swelling in his left ankle and foot....been going on for a few days....he's out of sorts and thought he had the flu(from Family Xmas visitors).... also has put on some weight...

His BG's are fine....but now, since the RELION strips RECALL, we're questioning all his numbers... don't know if they're legit.... starting to worry.

He also caths, and is down to cathing 1x a day...I wasn't happy about that....but it's his body....now I feel he's maybe going back to a urinary tract infection ,which originally diagnosed his Diabetes...and caused fluid retention throughout his body...

Sorry I'm all over the place with my thoughts, but just searching for ideas, and thoughts and help ...figure it's a trip to the dr.'rs office soon...

Just wondered if anyone has had issues with ankle and foot swelling and what caused it for you... Thanks for listening and any help would be appreciated!!

PS.Happy Holidays To All and Happy New Year.... from Anne, wife of "Life Is Good" Forum Buddy

shorty

shorty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi!! Does anyone have any thoughts on what would cause swelling in ankle and foot area....Hubby is type 2 Diabetic and is experiencing swelling in his left ankle and foot....been going on for a few days....he's out of sorts and thought he had the flu(from Family Xmas visitors).... also has put on some weight...

His BG's are fine....but now, since the RELION strips RECALL, we're questioning all his numbers... don't know if they're legit.... starting to worry.

He also caths, and is down to cathing 1x a day...I wasn't happy about that....but it's his body....now I feel he's maybe going back to a urinary tract infection ,which originally diagnosed his Diabetes...and caused fluid retention throughout his body...

Sorry I'm all over the place with my thoughts, but just searching for ideas, and thoughts and help ...figure it's a trip to the dr.'rs office soon...

Just wondered if anyone has had issues with ankle and foot swelling and what caused it for you... Thanks for listening and any help would be appreciated!!

PS.Happy Holidays To All and Happy New Year.... from Anne, wife of "Life Is Good" Forum Buddy

i also have swollen left foot. have him drink plenty of water and see is doctor. i have to take lasix 2x a day which helps some. before i took the lasix my left foot was swollen for almost 6 months and figured it would go away. in my case i wasnt getting enough bood flow and i would retain water. i wound up having a heart attack and had to have a sten put in. it took my swelling down but 3 months after my heart attack it started to swell again. thats when i was put on lasix 2x a day. last month my heart doctor told me if the lasix doesnt help when i go back in jan i might have to have another stent put in. he said that my heart isnt pumping hard enough for good surculation. im not saying your hubby is having heart trouble but has the sypmtoms i had. ask him to ask his daotor about lasix and if that doesnt help. he might want to see a heart doctor. this is just my opinion what has happened to me. one thing he needs to stay away is from salt. that is one of the big problems
I will say a prayer for him because i know what hes going thru. im also type 2 dieabetic and was told i would have as lot of problems that i would never of had before.

aggie168

aggie168

• 500 plus
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • I am a:Type 1
Besides conditions that may cause swelling, keep in mind some diabetes medication also cause swelling in many of us... Actos is one example. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Novolog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

timmerz

timmerz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
I am having problems for some time now with swollen calves on both legs, I was prescribed amoxycillin early last year and suffered a reaction, both calves and feet swelled up a bit, and after discontinuing the amoxycillin I have not been able to get rid of the water retention/swelling problem in the calves, to the point where after I come home from work and disrobe it appears as though I'm still wearing socks....I keep forgetting to mention it to my Dr. every time I see him because I'm an idiot! I have heard there are several meds a lot of us take regularly for Diabetes control can cause this type of swelling, and I take most of them...

GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

• 500 plus
  • 340 posts
Could be the beginning of a blood clot in the calf that is causing swelling below the site of the clot. The left leg is especially vulnerable to DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) because there is a particular vein and artery (the common iliac vein and artery) that crisscross and "compress" each other causing restricted blood flow and increased risk of clot formation in the left leg. If the clot breaks off, it can go to the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism (and death). I know this from first hand experience because I started having swelling in my left leg for several weeks last year before I eventually went to see a doctor. By the time I saw a doctor, I had developed a massive clot in my common iliac vein which required hospitalization and the insertion of a metal 'filter' in my inferior vena cava vein (the large vein in the abdomen leading to the heart) to prevent it from going to my lungs. Also, I now have to take anti-coagulant medication (blood thinners) for the rest of my life to prevent a future clot. Of course, this doesn't mean that your husband has a blood clot, but I wouldn't take a chance by waiting to go see the doctor. Instead, I would go to the ER as soon as possible so they can do an ultrasound of his leg and quickly determine the cause of the swelling. In other words, "Better safe than sorry!"
Robert
Dx T2
09/06/09 - Initial A1c 7.0 Weight 240
06/03/10 - A1C 6.5 Weight 228
12/03/10 - A1C 6.9 Weight 223
01/06/11 - A1C 6.1 (BayerA1CNOW) :)
06/22/11 - A1C 5.3 (Dr. Office) Weight 163 :D

Exercising (mostly walking) and utilizing the ADA "Diabetic Plate" for balanced portion control.

Current Meds:
Warfarin 9 mg 1 x day
Benicar 20 mg 1 x day (ceased 06/22/11)

Metformin 500 mg 2 x day (ceased 10/01/10)
Byetta 10mcg 2 x day (ceased 06/22/11)

annbo

annbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank You All!!! You have given me a lot of food for thought...His left foot is still swollen like a sausage....he says it's because he was working his ankle and foot trying to limber up his leg a few days ago....all I know is I've seen this happen at least twice before....he is on no medications, diabetic or otherwise...He takes 1 aspirin a day and that's it...

He is elevating his leg and I was gonna try cold and hot packs on him.....he's not cooperating much,but I'll see what I can do and if it gets any worse, I'll get him to the emer. room for help or call our Dr. You can lead a horse to water , but you can't make him drink....that's the way it is with hubby at times......

Again, Thank You All...you've been extremely helpful and I will continue to urge him to seek help, one way or another.... Anne

pat1203

pat1203

• 500 plus
  • 385 posts
Another choice...I had that same problem for about 6 months and when I began the Atlkins diet it just disappeared after about a week on low carb. I'd had the ultrasound and nothing showed up and my cardiologist told me that it was not uncommon for this to happen when eating too many carbs.

I hope it's something as simple as this for your husband, but best to check it out.

annbo

annbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Pat.....That may well be part of it too!! The holidays are killer for over doing it on the carbs....I know he has eaten a lot more carbs on the holidays, than any other days of the year....he knows what to do...it's just getting back on track ...

timmerz

timmerz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Almost sounds like gout, Annbo....might go online and read-up on the characteristics and see if they match up and then try to eliminate all foodstuffs that can contribute to gout and see if it lessens....

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
The worst case of swelling in my foot was diagnosed as gout. Gout also has redness and inflammation after things progress for awhile. The area affected will feel very warm to the touch. I had to take anti inflammatory meds and then Allopurinol tablets. The tablets reduce the uric acid level in the joints. Too much of the acid causes gout. I have had 3 bad gout attacks in the past 3 years.
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,895 posts
Hey Annbo,

I hope your husband quickly conquers this issue.

Please pass along my regards and a warm "Merry Christmas" to Clebo.....We miss his wisdone and positive spirit that he imparted to this forum!

Best Regards,
Nick
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

annbo

annbo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Nick and Everyone!! Wish You All a Happy New Year!!! Nick it was nice to see you posting again, missed your wakeup Bg's posts....Glad your're back!!

We believe we have found the answer to the Swollen left foot/ankle.... Cleo (Clebo-Life is Good), was up in the wee, wee hours this morning checking his foot....(I could kick myself over and over for not checking his foot a few days ago)

He looks on the side of his foot and saw about a 6 inch blister(how could I miss it).... He popped it and a lot of gook and blood oozed out....figured he had infection for a couple of days....

I washed and his foot in warm soapy water, dried it off and put a lot of triple strength Neosporin on it , put a big bandage on it, wrapped it for now, so the neosporin would stay on his burn/blister... and he started on antibiotics for 8 days....Hopefully the swelling will be down in a few days....and back to normal or near it by the New Year..

The burn, came from a day of burning a brush pile behind our barn...last Monday we had two fires going and we were both trying to keep a fire going and throwing tree limbs on each fire...I had mine going ok, so I went to check Cleo's....he was jumping up and down like a jack rabbit and said he stepped on the fire..

Apparently, he had been on the fire awhile and didn't feel it till he was already burned...I thought (stupid me) that he had jumped off it right away....but with Diabetes I know you don't always have 100% sensation and feelings in your legs and feet(this is something Cleo has been dealing with and I should have checked him automatically)

So when he thought he had the flu(had chills and shaking) , it was the infection and when he thought he sprained his ankle(the swelling) it was the infection....

Needless to say, I know it could have been avoided and I have to be More vigilant in checking him all over for sores, rashes and blisters.....

Hopefully he is now on the road to recovery and will be good as new soon...

I just want to Thank All of You for Your Help, Advice, Concern and Support and Love , in this matter....As always, the Great People on this Forum , came to our rescue and helped immensely.....

We are two of the Biggest Fans of this Forum and you don't have to be Diabetic to appreciate All the Good done here by everyone....

We don't check in as often as we used to, but know we still monitor all of Your Progresses and are Encouraged and Inspired by All of You...Everyday

You, All are, and always will be in Our Thoughts and Hearts forever...Best Wishes Always, Love Anne

P.S. And as Clebo will always say...."Life is Good" and I couldn't agree more!!

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,895 posts
Hey Annbo,

Glad to hear that you have found the issue. If you haven't, I would recommend that you have a Doctor review the foot wound. A foot injury can become serious without timely medical attention (sounds like you have that covered....but just wanted to be sure).

Hopefully, "life will be good" soon again! Thanks again for the positive notes!
Nick
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

pat1203

pat1203

• 500 plus
  • 385 posts
So glad you found the cause and hope the antibiotics work fast and he's 'on his feet' again soon! Thanks for the report. Let us know how it goes, please.

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,895 posts
Hey Anne....any update on our friend "Clebo?"

Life is good.......Nick
Nick
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

clebo

clebo

• 500 plus
  • 1,285 posts

Hey Anne....any update on our friend "Clebo?"

Life is good.......Nick

Hi Nick!! Sorry I didn't get back sooner with an update....My wife worries and fusses over me a lot and is a faithful reader of the forum....when I burned my foot, she knew where to go for help.....

I posted a long update in the Morning wakeup thread, but just wanted to thank you for inquiring about me and let you know that I'm hanging in there with no meds , still walk 3x a day and doing about 110 carbs a day on the "balanced" diet from all food groups....(like my old , wise friend, Don)...

Finally, worked out all the excess Holiday carbs and then some....boy, did it take awhile....BG's weren't as bad as they could of been but higher than I like.....had to get back to work, pronto, before things got out of hand....

The burn is definitely a "slow" healer.....it's much better but taking a long time to fuse together again....the all-day ankle swelling is gone, but swells up a little at the end of the day from being on my feet during the day....the swelling is gone by morning....

You just have to keep on keepin on.....I can't sit around for the rest of my life....got to live my life and that's what I'm doing....

I'm back in the swing of things and my old routine and all is well....The burn will heal in time and life goes on....

So happy for you Nick !! You are doing really great without the meds!!!! Keep up the Good work and stay the path as you would say....and thanks again for asking about me....I appreciate your concern and thoughtfulness for me, and everyone else here on the Forum....You are a Good Man and great Asset to this Forum!!

I don't check in much but I still cruise the Forum to keep up with everyone and the new threads.....I'll always need you guys and the Forum, you're all Family, forever...Life is Good...Clebo
NO MEDS

Type 2 -Dx 7/21 09 -BG 362 -6/15/10 BG 104...Weight at Dx 206...2/3/11-170

80 carbs a day-3 meals (no snacks).. walk 3x a day..Balance is the Key..Moderation in Everything... A1c at Dx off the charts..6/15/10 A1c 5.8..9/17/10 A1c 5.8
Life is Good...Clebo

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,143 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Get well soon, clebo.....burns can be so painful....if the swelling continues or you get a fever, get to your doctor!!!!
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clebo

clebo

• 500 plus
  • 1,285 posts
Hi Nancy!! I'm hanging in there....winging it on my own(except for wife)..... no doctors , no meds....

Did you ever find that CarbMaster yogurt???? They added more flavors and have plain too and vanilla....it still works great for my Bg's... Life is Good...Clebo
NO MEDS

Type 2 -Dx 7/21 09 -BG 362 -6/15/10 BG 104...Weight at Dx 206...2/3/11-170

80 carbs a day-3 meals (no snacks).. walk 3x a day..Balance is the Key..Moderation in Everything... A1c at Dx off the charts..6/15/10 A1c 5.8..9/17/10 A1c 5.8
Life is Good...Clebo

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,143 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Sure didn't clebo....I went back to using Greek yogurt with blueberries and just adjust insulin accordingly....I decided that making my own yogurt, berry mix was healthier for me....
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I know you're not a doctor fan, Clebo, but burns can really be an issue, esp. for diabetics....our docs often prescribe "Silvadene," which is a topical antibacterial that promotes healing and lessens the risk of infection. I've used it on simple cooking burns....heals nicely and quickly with no scar....perhaps your wife will get a doc to call it in for you....we ladies are usually "spot on" when it comes to getting things to help out our men....

Edited by notme, 27 January 2011 - 01:30 PM.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users