Photo

possible near death or out of body experience??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

sweetblood

sweetblood

• 500 plus
  • 531 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
The other night I ate then went to sleep. During the night close to morning I had a dream. I had gotten shot or something in the crown of my head. It was like I was watching myself from above. I could see the blood and my brain underneath. I went to the ER and I was surprisingly calm. Too calm and I was looking down at myself. I was wondering when I would be seen by dr. But was calm serene. There was maybe one other person in the er waiting to be seen . Then I woke up. I cannot remember exactly what night I had the experience but I do know my bg has been running somewhat higher upon waking.

I'm wondering if thes coulda been a out of body experience (sugar maybe soared and I almost died so to speak) or if its a warning to watch my sugar as I may almost die in the near future? What do you guys think?? Input PLEASE!! I'm really wondering...
type 2 diabetes
stage 1 renal disease w HTN
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

a1c 1/27/11: 5.5 :D--holding steady...

A1c 12/3/13: 5.7

Insulin AB: negative
GAD 65: negative

just a swingin' :eek:

Born fighting, forever a fighter!

PERSIST AND DOORS WILL OPEN

VeeJay

VeeJay

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
My opinion is that this was just a dream - although a quite vivid one. Most likely you have been unsettled by thoughts of your diabetes going out of control, and this is your subconscious reviewing a possible scenereo. Of course, dreams can be combinations of more than one idea going on at the same time (such as the out-of-body experience).

I wouldn't see this as an omen, nor particulary a warning. Just a reflection of what's nagging you about your diabetes. However, it can be used as a good reminder of how important it is to keep the diabetes under control.

I just remembered that many years ago when in my 20s I had several sort-of dreams where I was "out-of-body" - not in the ER, but in my bedroom. I was rather fascinated by it and if I remember correcly, wasn't fully asleep, just at that point where one is beginning to fall asleep.
8/13/10 A1C 5.5 (lab) :)
10/2/10 A1C 5.1 (home) :D
4/1/11 A1C 5.3 (lab) :D

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• 500 plus
  • 2,118 posts
I think there was a post here on the forums I read that certain med's can cause bad dreams/nightmares......might try to search the forums for this and read up a bit on it...maybe.....just a thought.

Hugs

Laura

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

The other night I ate then went to sleep. During the night close to morning I had a dream. I had gotten shot or something in the crown of my head. It was like I was watching myself from above. I could see the blood and my brain underneath. I went to the ER and I was surprisingly calm. Too calm and I was looking down at myself. I was wondering when I would be seen by dr. But was calm serene. There was maybe one other person in the er waiting to be seen . Then I woke up. I cannot remember exactly what night I had the experience but I do know my bg has been running somewhat higher upon waking.

I'm wondering if thes coulda been a out of body experience (sugar maybe soared and I almost died so to speak) or if its a warning to watch my sugar as I may almost die in the near future? What do you guys think?? Input PLEASE!! I'm really wondering...

I think the dream was either a run of the mill nightmare, or it may be some anxieties playing out.

As for close-to-death blood sugars happening in your sleep but otherwise not really getting signs - I'm not aware of things working that way, without obvious signs that you are in major trouble. The way the body gets if going into a "life threatening" state through lack of insulin, is not the sort of thing that you slip into/out of in a couple of hours, and the effects would not be just slept off. You would have woken up feeling dreadful, if not still in imminent danger with extremely high BGs and things like severe dehydration and delirium. The whole slipping to a life threatening BG in the night sounds like something very frightening but really not at all likely to have happened.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
My low sugar dream (singular) is one like a tape loop where I try to do one thing over and over without apparent success. My high sugar dreams are extraordinarily vivid. Lots of detail and usually very expansive. Large homes, wide areas of lawn or woods or water, all in quite startling detail.

Nothing so dismal as sweetblood's thank goodness. I suspect a hash of recent images (news, movies, etc) jumbled together for your (lack of) enjoyment. Think of it as more incentive to keep your sugars normal:)
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
After I got my CGMS, we discovered that my blood sugar was dropping very low in the middle of the night. I was sleeping at least five hours with my blood sugar in the 30's and not waking up. I had wild nightmares and very very vivid. I talked to my doctor about it because he always asked if I had nightmares at every visit and I always said no, up until a few weeks ago. He said that nightmares is your body's way of trying to wake you up. Since I have changed my basal rates, the nightmares have stopped.

I believe your nightmare was just that, a nightmare from lows. For the next few nights, I would set your alarm and start checking your blood sugar in the middle of the night.

I sympathize with the realness of your dreams. Mine were extremely vivid and frightnening.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mussakka

Mussakka

• 500 plus
  • 808 posts
I have to agree with the posts above. As unsettling as such dreams can be, the mind works in mysterious ways and you can only control how you deal with this kind of dream when conscious. As VeeJay recommended, you could use this as impetus to get your BG under better control, if you haven't already done so.

Also, it looks like some of the meds you're taking can cause nightmares, so that's something to consider as well. I hope you feel better and don't let this disturb you too much.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,037 posts
I'm no expert but it does sound like a nightmare. I did have a near death experience but at the time, I was actually in DKA induced coma. Nightmares are my cue to check because when I have vivid nightmares, I'm low when I test.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

sweetblood

sweetblood

• 500 plus
  • 531 posts
Yeah I guess I DO need to check bg in middle of night. The dreams often wake me but when I do check my glucose is either normal or high. I've had several more vivid dreams in the last several nights; almost every time I sleep. I do eat right before bed now on a regular basis. Gonna take a little detective work on my part. Thanks for the input guys. Its reassuring but at the same time it will spur me to action (by BG checks in the wee hrs) as my bg is problably going low as you guys suggested. Thanks again and I will keep u posted.
type 2 diabetes
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

alex200274

alex200274

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I know this post is old, but wanted to respond as I can relate to it. The subject of what is being discussed is often very opinionated (as shown above) but that is often based more on ones education and experience on the subject of OBE’s and NDE’s (*out of Body Experience or Near Death Experiences).
I’m a type 1 diabetic and have been for 20 years.* I have also had OBE’s for the last 12 years. The majority of my friends will often tell me it’s just a very vivid dream, or the brain is a complicated thing to understand when we are asleep, case closed. However the original post was not an NDE but more than likely an OBE. NDE are the same as OBE’s but as the name suggests NDE’s are often experienced under a completely different set of circumstances.

However the link to OBE’s and dreams is not entirely the same; if you had an OBE you would know that the experience is very different than your ordinary dream. NDE’s on the other hand would have been experienced due to a different set of circumstances (usually the cause of a traumatic situation) and leaves a different foot print on ones psyche than an OBE.* Interestingly NDE’s are often recalled after the brain has ceased functioning and the how and why despite its link to an OBE still baffle research into the study by many researchers (in an NDE like an OBE the real world environment is consciously experienced).
In an OBE one has full conscious awareness, and experience a semi real time environment to the world as we know it. I have had journeys where I have seen and analyzed myself sleeping, travelled to other places and sometimes verifying what I have seen at a later date. You just don’t get this from your average dream.
Most initial first time OBE’s are spontaneous and the duration is very short. Often the person would have had something triggered during the experience allowing full conscious recognition that they are not dreaming and somewhere else. This sudden shock to the system often creates a sense of panic, especially if it’s in the real time environment and the person can view themselves sleeping – often they think they have died and will not be able to get back to their body and wake up.
Usually OBE’s only happen once in someone’s life time, while others feel more compelled to learn about the subject and see if they can recreate the experiences. Often it will lead to positive results and the fear factor diminishing with increased confidence and the OBE becoming more of an enjoyment to explore.
I assume in my case OBEs happen more naturally than other people, hence the numerous ones that have happened but I have spent the last 10 years studying the subject so that has helped as well (you need an element of control and focus to maintain the experience).
However more importantly the whole point of responding to this post, is I also believe there is/was an initial link to my OBE’s and my type 1 diabetes. I think that the sugar level control can impact the neurotransmitters during sleep, and perhaps insulin itself has a side effect influencing the dream state. This I feel can allow one to experience more vivid dreams, and if there is some knowhow on what to do and how to control dreams can eventually stimulate and lead to the OBE.
I’m not sure if there has ever been a study into the dream states of diabetics, OBEs and vivid dreams. I know there are studies linking to sleep disturbances and sleep apnea to diabetes but this is more to do with negative impacts on sleep where I’m curious by the positive impact.

sweetblood

sweetblood

• 500 plus
  • 531 posts
Yeah it was very brief. I wasn't so much frightened as I was like "whoa! Far out, strange". That's how I felt upon waking. My friends all say it was probably an OBE. My sugar was kerflooey at that time too which very well may have influenced or brought it on.
type 2 diabetes
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def