Anyone else taking victoza?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

sanflan

sanflan

• 500 plus
  • 291 posts
I love taking victoza. It has really worked for me and has given me good control. My son has read an article and he thinks many of the rats in the study on victoza got thyroid cancer. Has anyone else read about this? I am about to give up on it, but I am very sad, because it worked well for me.
I try to remember that:
" Most Folks are as Happy as they Make Up There Minds to Be." Abraham Lincoln

70/30 70 morning 50 evening
Lisinopril Blood Pressure
Metformin 1,000 (When my stomach can take it)

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,930 posts
The bottom line is that from the two years of trials there were no instances found despite specific testing for markers for that cancer. The rodent model is not a wildly accurate predictor of the human reaction (the saccharine scare of a few years ago is a famous example). The FDA is tracking all cases of this cancer amongst users for the next five years in case there is a link though and since it is extremely rare it should be easy to spot any association. Try this FDA link: Questions and Answers - Safety Requirements for Victoza (liraglutide)

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
I've been on it for a little over 2 weeks now. It's not really working for me.
I think we have to set up an organization to Save The Rats.
The poor creatures are OD' by every drug that has ever been tried.

Art

kevin tynan

kevin tynan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am on it about a month now and it is definitely working for my levels. I was diagnosed with diabetes in April of this year and insulin on its own wasn't working for me. It makes me a bit sick at times but I think that it is worth it. I have a lump in my throid that I have to get checked but this could be related to some skin cancer that I had earlier this year.

amiguita

amiguita

• 500 plus
  • 390 posts
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I've been on Victoza since mid October 2010. I recently thought that it had stopped working but I think I was a little hasty. I have some additonal medical problems and I started taking new pain meds and muscle relaxers and truthfully, after a few days of taking the new meds, the numbers are right back to where they were. I love the Victoza. My numbers are very good and I have a bit more flexibility with carbs, even though I still maintain a very low carb diet.

In terms of the cancer in rat warnings, I think individually anyone trying a new medicine has to research and weigh the pros and cons. I'm comfortable taking it. Everything else I tried made me and my intestines just miserable, especially the metformin.

Saludos :flute:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
diagnosed in 2/2010, Type 2 then 1.5
HbA1c
05/26/12 6.9 :mad: !!
03/13/12 6.6 :eek:
02/03/12 6.3 :mad:
11/01/11 5.8 :smile:
07/12/11 5.6 :dancing:
02/03/2011 5.8
10/2010 - 7.2 :(
6/10/2010 - 5.8 :)
5/04/10 - 6.5
3/24/2010 - 7.4
2/2010 - 8.5

FBG
05/26/12 190 :eek:
11/01/2011 - 177
07/12/2011 - 110
02/03/2011 - 104 :star:
10/2010 - 235
6/10/2010 - 145
3/24/2010 - 130
2/2010 - 250

Levemir: start 6/12/12. Levemir/Humalog basal/bolus regimen. 2000 mg Metformin ER daily

traceylenore

traceylenore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am now on my second 1.2 dose. Was wondering exactly how long it took before anyone noticed results? I keep reading that some experienced lower BG levels on the .6 dose, but that wasn't me sadly enough.

Sqrpeg

Sqrpeg

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Three months now and it is working better than Byetta for me.

thisstinks

thisstinks

• 500 plus
  • 190 posts
Took it for a month and it did absolutely nothing.......

trowter

trowter

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
I take .6 per day. For me, my fasting numbers went from 6.1 to 4.9 overnight..Within 2 weeks, my doctor had to drop my metformin from 3 X 500 per day, to 2 X 250 per day.
My diabetic educator said that it can take up to a month to work...I wonder why it works for some, and not for others?

CJD

CJD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Sanflan,

I have been taking Victosa for about 5 months. Started with 0.6 then gradually worked up to 1.2 with no real problem except a slight headache at start.
Dr said to take it early with breakfast. Since I don't go to bed until midnight, I don't get up before 9 a.m. so I was taking it from around 10 a.m. somedays not until after lunch at 2 p.m. Dr said that was ok. Then I missed a day, and Dr. said that to skip a day would not make a difference. With that in mind...I have not taken it for two days now. In my opinion, the Victosa had not been doing what I had hoped it would do on a short term basis.
Even, I have lost about 10 pounds (in five months,) I am disappointed because I was hoping for 20+ pound loss at least!

While I was out of the country in October 2010 for vacation, it was incoveinient to "time the dosage", so I got off schedule. It is so expensive added to what I am already paying for, and so, I am wondering if I can just stop for a couple of weeks and start back up at a later date...Anyone have any comment on that?

Other Meds as follows:

Metformin 500 x 2 daily
HCTZ 12.5 daily
Lovastatin 40 mg daily
Vitamin D 50,000 twice week
81 mg Aspirin daily
Occaisional Fish oil (causes diarrhea)
Weight October 2010- 221#
Weight March 2011 211#

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users