- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
:eek::D Thought I would just check in...see bad advice is the rule of the day...as usual.
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• Seniors
  • 4,141 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
There are those of us who find comfort in consistency.

EDIT: I forgot the Sarcasm tag, oops.:rofl:

Edited by janice21475, 25 January 2011 - 11:10 AM.
I forgot the Sarcasm tag, oops.

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts

:eek::D Thought I would just check in...see bad advice is the rule of the day...as usual.

Please tell me you don't live your personal life like this. You must have no friends.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

imboden

imboden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I haven't seen any bad advise in here. Though I may be too new to realize what is bad advise.:confused::confused:

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Just so this isn't a big mystery for some newer people -- Don eats from all food groups and does not (excessively?) limit carbohydrates.

Sadly, there have been "fights" over the subject.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
And, he has such a charming manner about it!
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

Just so this isn't a big mystery for some newer people -- Don eats from all food groups and does not (excessively?) limit carbohydrates.

Sadly, there have been "fights" over the subject.

No fights...I am right and they are wrong simple as that .
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
Thank you samorgan ..how are things in Sdiego......still eating fat????
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

Please tell me you don't live your personal life like this. You must have no friends.

Contra xMenace .....I have 1 friend....
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

There are those of us who find comfort in consistency.

EDIT: I forgot the Sarcasm tag, oops.:rofl:

Hi janice21475 how's the hubbie?? and I agree with your commit I have being doing my D thing going on 42 years this year....and without coconut oil??????? although I love it on popcorn.
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

I haven't seen any bad advise in here. Though I may be too new to realize what is bad advise.:confused::confused:

You must be really new ....However there is some good advice to be had , however, you need to look for it....You would think some of these people have the cure for diabetes....Nope! not even close....
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
Modcarb Diet

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts

Thank you samorgan ..how are things in Sdiego......still eating fat????

You betcha! 75% of calories or more. Still no meds. My last A1C was 5.1. I don't even test much any more - no need as there are no surprises. I really enjoy the freedom. Other than a few looks for the way I eat, nothing about me says "diabetic". No needles, no pills, no travel kit - nothing. (And of course, NO non-normal BG numbers.) Yeah, I still have a meter and test strips, but not very important any more. I just learned how to eat instead.

Everything's great. I hope it's the same for you.

Oh, I finally got a VAP test and found out that in addition to stellar tryglycerides and HDL, my LDL is all large particle size - the non-harmful kind. No worries there. BP is textbook. Overall, I'm at "very low" risk for any CV problems per my lab report.

Let's be sure to check back in 10 or 20 years, OK?

Oh, if you're still worried at serum cholesterol, spend 1 minute 18 seconds here:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watdh?v=i8SSCNaaDcE"]Complete Lack of Correlation Between Cholesterol & Heart/Arterial Disease[/URL]
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

imboden

imboden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

You must be really new ....However there is some good advice to be had , however, you need to look for it....You would think some of these people have the cure for diabetes....Nope! not even close....

Yeah... New dx as of 12 Jan 2011
12 Jan 2011 - dx by physician for MTO, going for AZ Lic
20 Jan 2011 - new doc, more blood work.
27 Jan 2011 - A1C 8.3, prescribed Metformin 500mg x2/day

NickP

NickP

• Seniors
  • 1,895 posts

You betcha! 75% of calories or more. Still no meds. My last A1C was 5.1. I don't even test much any more - no need as there are no surprises. I really enjoy the freedom. Other than a few looks for the way I eat, nothing about me says "diabetic". No needles, no pills, no travel kit - nothing. (And of course, NO non-normal BG numbers.) Yeah, I still have a meter and test strips, but not very important any more. I just learned how to eat instead.

Everything's great. I hope it's the same for you.

Oh, I finally got a VAP test and found out that in addition to stellar tryglycerides and HDL, my LDL is all large particle size - the non-harmful kind. No worries there. BP is textbook. Overall, I'm at "very low" risk for any CV problems per my lab report.

Let's be sure to check back in 10 or 20 years, OK?

Oh, if you're still worried at serum cholesterol, spend 1 minute 18 seconds here:

Complete Lack of Correlation Between Cholesterol & Heart/Arterial Disease

Hey Salim,

Thanks for the You Tube link.....great video and information. I also have had a VAP test done and was very pleased with the results. I have Type A LDL and love it!

Eating a LC/HF diet is the best diet for most folks (even without Diabetes). I have gotten several of my friends and family to join me on this lifestyle. I am Livin' la Vida Low Carb and LOVING IT!!!!
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts

Welcome to all the fun! Take everything you hear with a grain of sale - especially from health care professionals. There is a lot to learn! The good news is that what is healthy for us is healthy in general. That's why many T2's (myself included) end up deciding that T2 was the best thing that ever happened to them!
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

Tribbles

Tribbles

• Seniors
  • 1,953 posts

Diet is like religion. Everyone has their beliefs and most think theirs if the one true faith (I certainly do :D) so there is some amount of evangelizing, especially to new diabetics.

Realistically humans are omnivores so you can live on pretty much anything which brings it down to how you want to manage your diabetes. There are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to cat lovers) and the low carb / high fat approach is one. Personally I don't like it because I prefer a more balanced diet so like dturney I eat all food groups, including carbs, in moderation and use insulin to manage my levels. If I can equal his 42 years and counting I will be very happy.

imboden

imboden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Diet is like religion. Everyone has their beliefs and most think theirs if the one true faith (I certainly do :D) so there is some amount of evangelizing, especially to new diabetics.

Realistically humans are omnivores so you can live on pretty much anything which brings it down to how you want to manage your diabetes. There are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to cat lovers) and the low carb / high fat approach is one. Personally I don't like it because I prefer a more balanced diet so like dturney I eat all food groups, including carbs, in moderation and use insulin to manage my levels. If I can equal his 42 years and counting I will be very happy.

Welcome to all the fun! Take everything you hear with a grain of sale - especially from health care professionals. There is a lot to learn! The good news is that what is healthy for us is healthy in general. That's why many T2's (myself included) end up deciding that T2 was the best thing that ever happened to them!

The one true religion thing is a debate for another time and thread. From what I have read, it certainally true that there is many different ways to manage diabetes. I'll take what medical professionals say with a grain of salt, but I would prefer ketchup. :P
12 Jan 2011 - dx by physician for MTO, going for AZ Lic
20 Jan 2011 - new doc, more blood work.
27 Jan 2011 - A1C 8.3, prescribed Metformin 500mg x2/day

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
Joined a gym yesterday, and they wanted a BP check before I could participate. They tested me twice, both at 126/60. Following the good advice of my health care team, I was lucky to hit 145/80. I'll take the bad advice here any day.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

paraed

paraed

• Members
  • 283 posts

Well said.

And, since Don's original comment, I believe, was directed at how folks are giving advice, and the means in which it is being given (including tone, and enthusiatic debate.) I DO believe your analogy to religous evangelizing is apropo.

I too have seen that many paths get to the same destination. And, I have seen those same paths FAIL to get to the destination. I know a person right now who has kidney failure and believes he will die that used Bernstein (he was actually a patient of Bernstein) and exercise. He now cannot keep his numbers down below 200 depite having lots of insulin. So, even the insulin route is now a failure.

I like to remember that a newbie is scared. Is needing encouragement, and support...not just information. We who have been there and know that fear, need to help in that area as well.

We also need to remember that they are intelligent human beings, capable of thinking for themselves, and making decisions. And, if they do not agree with what we are presenting; that it is THEIR choice. It is not our place to decide that their decision is wrong. Their method may succeed to give them years of good health. Whether it be lc/hf or hc/lf or Vegan, or Atkins or Mediterranean. If it is working! Let the trumpets sound in joy! We all want the same thing. Good health.

And, more importantly. What we all would like; is a CURE!!!!
Everything is Hard, before it becomes easy!

NickP

NickP

• Seniors
  • 1,895 posts
Personally, I did not care for the tone of this post. The OP was implying that by advocating a LC/HF diet, that this is bad advice.

Yes, I agree that diet can be like religion, but it is poor form to state that someone else who has had great success with a diet is giving poor advice.

Again, I agree that YMMV, and for some, a LC/HF diet may not work. However, for many of us, the LC/HF diet is the best thing that has happended to us, and we want to share that with the worlld!!!!

So, I am controlling my Diabetes without medication and insulin. I realize that I have been only doing this for a year, but I think that I can sustain this and lead a long and happy life.

And, yes, I believe that by limiting the number of carb that I consume, that I will reduce my need for medications, and ultimately push back the day (that maybe) that I will need insulin.

For my part, I would rather live without the carbs and control my BG naturally, then live with the consequences of living a "balanced diet"

Again, each person needs to pick their path. However, it is frustrating to see many members not even try to control their Diabetes through diet restrictions. Our disease is basically an intolerance for carbs....why we would we advise folks to eat them?

So, yes, some of the members here have found success without a low carb diet, but many of us have found success with the LC/HF diet. And many people who do not have diabetes have found the LC/HF lifestyle to be extremely beneficial.

So, as Jimmy Moore would say....find the diet that works for you, and stick to it for the rest of your life. For me the choice is clear!

YMMV!!!!
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds: