- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CarolM

CarolM

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Does a T2 diabetic with lower BG numbers have thirst or is that only when your numbers are really high?

Mine has been running from 100-150, with fasting never < 100. My doctor believes my A1c of 5.1 means I'm okay, but I still don't understand the thirst and drymouth I have had since landing in the hospital with gastro-enteritis a month ago.

I've eliminated all pharma, tylenol and melatonin, but I still have the problem and have to drink or use lozenges most the time. When I wake up at 4 am my throat is all dry in back.

Thanks.

jnmcabee

jnmcabee

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
If I drink something, I continue drinking it until it is gone. I do the same thing with food. It's like I can't stop.

However, if I don't drink something, then I never really get thirsty.. It's weird.:cool:

But your numbers seem good so maybe you're just a thirsty person:)
DX'd in 2006. Didn't really strictly care about it until January 24, 2011.
Now--for the first time in my life--I am exercising daily.

No medications, just diet and exercise.
Cinnamon, bitter melon, milk thistle tablets daily.

Weight - 252 (January 31, 2011)
- 248 (March 12, 2011)

Oct 24, 2010 - 6.9 A1C
Dec 18, 2010 - 6.5 A1C
Mar 12, 2011 - 6.0 A1C

CarolM

CarolM

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I
However, if I don't drink something, then I never really get thirsty.. It's weird.:cool:

I think there's something to that, and this started when I was trying to come back from being badly dehydrated...I'll keep trying to break the habit..:)

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,642 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Carol, if you have a really dry mouth when you wake up, that is a sign of sleep apnea. Having a dry mouth all day might be because you are breathing through your mouth. I have never had a dry mouth or throat, no matter how dehydrated I was. My dry mouth was always the result of breathing through my mouth, whether I was asleep or awake.

I have sleep apnea, and I use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine when I go to sleep. Before I got the machine, I would wake up with my mouth so dry that it hurt. My tongue would be stuck to my mouth and it hurt to try to get it free. Throughout the day, my mouth was dry, no matter what I tried, since I started out the day with a dry mouth and breathed through my mouth most of the time. Once I started using the CPAP machine, that forced me to breathe through my nose when I slept, since I can't open my mouth when I use a CPAP machine. (I use a nose only sleep mask.)

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

CarolM

CarolM

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Carol, if you have a really dry mouth when you wake up, that is a sign of sleep apnea. Having a dry mouth all day might be because you are breathing through your mouth. I have never had a dry mouth or throat, no matter how dehydrated I was. My dry mouth was always the result of breathing through my mouth, whether I was asleep or awake.

I keep asking hubby if I'm snoring and he says no. He has the CPAP... I haven't breathed through my mouth since the last time I had a cold.

I think maybe I got a little too liquid-dependent, one a habit from when I did long distance biking, and two because I'm a singer and we're always told to keep our vocal cords hydrated. Gets a little ridiculous after a while..

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,843 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I am rarely thirsty, I probably don't drink enough somedays. I seem only to drink water when I am exercising. Even when my bgs were high before dx, I never drank a lot.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

ZoraP

ZoraP

• 500 plus
  • 327 posts
Eating low-carb seems to reduce my thirst quite a bit. I drink water and coffee with meals and sometimes tea during the day, but sometimes I'll notice I'm really dry and I'll realize it's been ages since I had a sip of anything.
Gestational diabetes 3x, controlled with diet. Didn't resolve after last baby.
No formal diagnosis.
A1c 4 June 2010: 5.8
No meds
Low-carb diet
Goal: A1c = 5.0

fg1

fg1

• 500 plus
  • 127 posts
I was crazy thirsty before diagnoses (3-4 liters of water a day) and now with my BG still pretty high A1C 7.7 (down from 9.7) I am rarely thirsty and am drinking probably one litre of liquids a day, mostly water.

Patient254

Patient254

• 500 plus
  • 554 posts
I never really drank that much during the day, but when I was in DKA before diagnosis, I was going to the convenience store in my office building and buying 2 bottles of water at a time, which is unheard of for me.
Laura
T1 Latest A1C is: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users