- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

byu barry

byu barry

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Quick question. What is the difference between chromium chelate and chromium picolinate? Is it the same thing or what?

Thanks,
BYU Barry

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• 500 plus
  • 757 posts

Quick question. What is the difference between chromium chelate and chromium picolinate? Is it the same thing or what?

Thanks,
BYU Barry

Chromium picolinate is the chromium salt of picolinic acid.

Chromium chelate is a different type of chemical. I can't tell you what it is because the term chromium chelate is an incomplete chemical name. The chromium is chelated with something but the name doesn't say with what. A chelate is a metal complex.

I take chromium picolinate and have not come across other forms for diabetes stabilisation.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• 500 plus
  • 757 posts

Chromium picolinate is the chromium salt of picolinic acid.

Chromium chelate is a different type of chemical. I can't tell you what it is because the term chromium chelate is an incomplete chemical name. The chromium is chelated with something but the name doesn't say with what. A chelate is a metal complex.

I take chromium picolinate and have not come across other forms for diabetes stabilisation.

I've now looked up the structure of chromium picolinate and find that what I wrote is not correct.

The structure given, is that of a chelate so it looks as if the names chromium picolinate and chromium chelate are in fact the same chemical. If it's important to you, you should ask your pharmacist for confirmation.

Sorry about the previous post :o :embarasse
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
Bodybuilders won't touch the chelated stuff--they claim it is cheaper and of no biological value, if you trust those people.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

byu barry

byu barry

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks Peter,

I suppose I will ask for additional clarification. It appears all my suppliments contain chelate or amino acid chelate (arrrg). I asked the same question on another board and they pretty much parroted your first reply. That is, picolinate is what I want and the chelate is not as readily absorbed or something.

http://www.nutrition...romium_113.aspx

Sorry about answering my on question but I thought it was a simple one. I was wrong again.

lesley

lesley

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I would be surprised if the chelated was not more readily absorbed. You do need to ask your chemist/doctor. I use chelated trace elements, chelated potassium and chelated iron in my aquariums because they dissolve in the water. Normal fertilising products will not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users