how to mix coconut oil into a hot drink

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

VeeJay

VeeJay

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
One of the ways I take coconut oil is in hot chocolate or in hot tea. But I hate the fact that the oil sits on top of the liquid and I have to stir it up before taking every single drink from the cup.

I hit upon a way to sort of emulsify the oil into the liquid.

Use a whisk. Put the whisk in the cup. Press your hands together (palms touching) with the handle of the whisk in the middle of your hands. Slide your hands quickly back and forth, causing the whisk to twirl high speed. It seems to be enough to break up the oil and keep it mixed in the liquid for about 5-10 minutes - long enough to enjoy my drink.

I know that there are probably electric gadgets out there that do the same thing. I don't have one and really don't want yet another appliance. And this is quick cleanup by just running hot water over the whisk.

Just thought I'd share.
8/13/10 A1C 5.5 (lab) :)
10/2/10 A1C 5.1 (home) :D
4/1/11 A1C 5.3 (lab) :D

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
If you have an expresso machine, hitting the combination with a steam wand will make it disappear completely for however long it takes you to drink it.
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

VeeJay

VeeJay

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
Sam, it was your mentioning this on another thread that got me thinking about whipping the c. oil into the drink.

I don't drink coffee - don't have an Expresso - but that's a good way for those who have it.
8/13/10 A1C 5.5 (lab) :)
10/2/10 A1C 5.1 (home) :D
4/1/11 A1C 5.3 (lab) :D

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
You're supposed to 'mix' it in??? I love to see it floating on the top of my tea. It reminds me of a Kaleidoscope, I loved those things. Plus, I like the way the C.oil feel son my lips. The C.Oil I have tastes very coconutty and is a treat with many of the tea flavors I have. Especially good with Sleepy Time. Never thought of trying to mix it in. :)

Janice

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Wow Janice, that's useful tastes you've got there for integrating co. I like coconut a lot but not in my tea of coffee! I actually have not established if co is useful for me or not, but as I experiment, I'm grateful for the whipping method idea, thanks VeeJay. I use a moka pot for my coffee, no steam machine either.

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Hi Subby, I never would adulterate a cup of coffee! Tea is another thing altogether. :D

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I recently bought the coconut oil capsules. I just don't think I'd do well with the greasy feel in my mouth. They are about the size of fish-oil caps and have no taste or smell. I take a couple with each meal. So far, I see no difference in blood sugar with them though they certainly keep things "regular." ;)

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,240 posts
How about nuking the C/O in your microwave for a few seconds until it's in a liquid state?

Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users