Photo

What would happen if I mixed Lantus with Novolog?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts
I take both insulins by syringe and I almost used the same syringe for both. My syringes are the orange type and brand name is ReliOn. Is there a way that I can get diffient color for each syringe so I don't get these syringes mixed up and don't have to waste them by useing them only one time. Doctor told me I could use them more then one time.

Thanks, Robert

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,633 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
I would suggest you switch to the Lantus Solostar pen and eliminate this problem. I don't, but others that use the Lantus Solostar pen, or other pens, reuse their pen needles. In this way any cross contamination is virtually impossible. The possibility also exists that even though you might try using different color syringes...that system can also be compromised. You retinas cannot see the difference in colors in low light.

Oops, forgot to answer your question: If you mix Lantus and Novolog together...your body will swell up twice its size and explode. If you're going to do this I suggest you do it in the bathroom. Less forensic clean up. :D

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts
The doctor told me to never mix the insulins together but I forgot to ask why not? The cost for me with insurance is 699.00 for five pens out of pocket. This is why I use insulin vial instead of the flexpens.

Robert

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

The doctor told me to never mix the insulins together but I forgot to ask why not? The cost for me with insurance is 699.00 for five pens out of pocket. This is why I use insulin vial instead of the flexpens.

Robert

If you accidentally inject lantus (from a used syringe) into the novolog, you're going to cause precipitates to form which can ruin the effectiveness of the insulin (essentially cross contamination). Better be safe than sorry and keep it separate. Another option is to store your vial and it's related syringe in a ziplock bag together and store the bags wherever you normally do. That way you don't have to worry about mixing up syringes. I did that prior to switching over to flexpens while on novolog and levemir.

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI
Sleep deprived first time mommy working full time! :eek:
A1C: 6.7 as of 04/28/12

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 574 posts
Before going on the pump a year ago, I had been using Novolog and Lantus for more than five years. I was never advised to use a separate syringe for each so I used the same syringe for both. I also used the same syringe for about seven days before starting a new syringe. Never had any adverse effects. Just learning now about the potential problems so I guess I would go with better safe than sorry. Based on my experience, however, I would not be too concerned with an occasional "double up".
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I know not to literally mix the two insulins (Lantus and Humalog for me) in the same syringe, but I don't worry about using the same syringe for different insulins. I also don't throw needles away until they get dull.

I guess I'll read more about the issue of using the same syringe for different insulins! It does make sense Fawn . . .and I don't want to make my humalog less effective . . . but I've never had an issue than I could tell.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

I know not to literally mix the two insulins (Lantus and Humalog for me) in the same syringe, but I don't worry about using the same syringe for different insulins. I also don't throw needles away until they get dull.

I guess I'll read more about the issue of using the same syringe for different insulins! It does make sense Fawn . . .and I don't want to make my humalog less effective . . . but I've never had an issue than I could tell.

I'm biased b/c I did have an issue that caused that about 12 yrs ago (with lantus and humalog). I had really high blood sugars for about 3-4 days and when I finally slowed down enough to look at my vials I was shocked and mad at myself for letting it happen when I knew better (I mean I'd just gotten really good at o chem for gosh sakes, I should've known better).

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
Was your Humalog cloudy? I've gotten in the habit of using insulin past 28 days (probably need to change to pens), and I may change my ways there. Honestly I hadn't even thought about this cross contamination.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

I take both insulins by syringe and I almost used the same syringe for both. My syringes are the orange type and brand name is ReliOn. Is there a way that I can get diffient color for each syringe so I don't get these syringes mixed up and don't have to waste them by useing them only one time. Doctor told me I could use them more then one time.

Thanks, Robert

Rob, you only take your Lantus once or maybe twice a day, at a set time, and only at home, right? I have used (and recommend) using something like a tupperware container, just for the syringe/s you are using for the Lantus. Have a handy spot for that container. Inside it, you can have a stash of fresh syringes and the syringe you are using now, if you want to use one a few times. If you keep your Lantus out if the fridge which is a valid option, you can have the vial in it too.

Open the container, take your Lantus, then put the syringe back in the container if you are going to reuse, shut up the container again, put it in its' spot, and move on to whatever you normally do for Novolog. Which could be anything, or if you wanted you could have two similar containers but make them very different in a few ways: cover different colours, Label it huge, keep it in different spots. Or, if you don't think that is enough, have two completely different sized containers as well. And only ever deal with one at a time, don't have both open at the same time.

My understanding is also that there is a risk you set off a reaction in the Lantus which can change its' action radically, if you mix it with any other liquid. I think better safe than sorry. (Or getting more variability you are not even quite aware of).

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,081 posts
Another option is coloured tape. Have two colours, one for Lantus, one for Novolog. When you use syringe for one, put a bit of coloured tape around it (somewhere it won't obscure the gauge on the side). Simple, cheap and effective.

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

Was your Humalog cloudy? I've gotten in the habit of using insulin past 28 days (probably need to change to pens), and I may change my ways there. Honestly I hadn't even thought about this cross contamination.

Yes it gets cloudy and you can clearly see precipitates at the bottom (probably from inactive components of solutions mixing in the different insulin types but I couldn't tell you for certain).

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Yes it gets cloudy and you can clearly see precipitates at the bottom (probably from inactive components of solutions mixing in the different insulin types but I couldn't tell you for certain).

Fawn

Fawn; you have won me over. No more sharing syringes between Lantus and Humalog, and my 3/4 used bottle of Humalog is going in the trash. It is NOT clear anymore. I have a new fresh one that I will start on with it's very own syringe and when that is used, I'll get a prescription for Humalog pens. Thank you again!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts

Another option is coloured tape. Have two colours, one for Lantus, one for Novolog. When you use syringe for one, put a bit of coloured tape around it (somewhere it won't obscure the gauge on the side). Simple, cheap and effective.

Yes I'm started to use orange electrical tape on my Novolog syringe. This way I can use the syringe more then one time. My Diabetic doctor told me I can use the syringe more then once.

Thanks, Rob

MrTomJones

MrTomJones

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, here is what my pharmacists told me on the use of insulins. they are good for a long time, the only reason they want you to use them in 28 days is the contamination factor of sometimes being poked 2 times or more daily thus increasinge the contamination factor. Me? I use it till it is gone <Lantus>
but then I am a wild and crazy guy or really tight.

just my humble opinion

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts

Ok, here is what my pharmacists told me on the use of insulins. they are good for a long time, the only reason they want you to use them in 28 days is the contamination factor of sometimes being poked 2 times or more daily thus increasinge the contamination factor. Me? I use it till it is gone <Lantus>
but then I am a wild and crazy guy or really tight.

just my humble opinion

That's good because it to costly to waste at a $100.00 a vial. I try to use mine up also. I went over four days once.

racinghoss

racinghoss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Everyone's responses here are odd to me. I inject Lantus and Novolog, as does my daughter. When asked about mixing the insulin to reduce the number of injections and save syringes, my Endo Doc told me that mixing would be OK. She did stipulate that we only use the needle one time, and draw up the Novolog first, then the Lantus. When I draw up the Novolog and then the Lantus, the fluid in the syringe gets cloudy. However, the insulin in the vials never gets cloudy and apparently still works like it is supposed to.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hey, whatever works for you, but consider these things.

1. Not recommended by manufacturer. Hardly "odd" to follow these instructions.

2. Clinical trials indicate it does indeed affect the action of the insulin. Such as:
The early pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic effects of mixing lispro with glargine insulin: results of glucose clamp studies in youth with type 1 diabetes.

Conclusion: These data demonstrate that mixing lispro with glargine markedly flattens the early pharmacodynamic peak of lispro and causes a shift to the right in the GIR curve changes that might lead to difficulties in controlling meal-related glucose excursions.

This is quite a recent study. I wonder if your endo is aware of it.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Cblake

Cblake

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I agree with this, freebasing your insulin is bad. Novalog is not suppost to be mixed with anything. per them.

rashonda

rashonda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I would suggest you switch to the Lantus Solostar pen and eliminate this problem. I don't, but others that use the Lantus Solostar pen, or other pens, reuse their pen needles. In this way any cross contamination is virtually impossible. The possibility also exists that even though you might try using different color syringes...that system can also be compromised. You retinas cannot see the difference in colors in low light.

Oops, forgot to answer your question: If you mix Lantus and Novolog together...your body will swell up twice its size and explode. If you're going to do this I suggest you do it in the bathroom. Less forensic clean up. :D

Hi, I use lantus solostar pen, and novalog pen, and it is wayyyyyyy better! I have a little pen needle that i screw on the end i dial up and im ready to go the needle barely hurts and it is way mor convenient and discreet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users