Photo

Regular check-up and was told Pancreas now working again ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello everyone, I just had a regular check-up and my doctors told me that my pancreas is now producing insulin again. They arent sure why and it is something that we will have to watch. A little background, I was diagnosed Type 1 a little over a year ago. There is no family history and I started getting sick. I went to hospital and was admitted with blood sugar of 850. They said my pancreas had pretty much stopped working completely. I spent 4 days in the hospital, one day in ICU and have been relatively in good health since. My A1c has been 6 for past 8 months and have been feeling good. I take 15 units of Lantus every morning and I am on a sliding scale of Novolog before meals. My question has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? I dont want to get too excited, but cant help feel pretty happy with the news. I feel I am blessed to be feeling good and healthy, when I know there are so many of others out there having such a hard time controlling this disease. I am not bragging or gloting, just looking if anyone else had anything like this happen to them before. Take Care everyone!

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
I think many people with T1 probably still have some (if minimal) insulin production, especially in the first couple of years post-diagnosis. You may be in a blissful honeymoon phase! How was the functionality determined?

Jen

Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I guess it was the c-peptide that determines this. Dont worry, I'm not reading too much into it. Just found it to be interesting. Thanks
Chris

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Yes Chris, I had a similar experience - C-peptide for me at last check was 1.3, the low end of "normal". I'll take any amount of pancreatic activity!

Jen

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Yes, the UT group has noted that recovery of beta cells may occur over the first six month after a DKA crisis!

Congratulations and enjoy them while you can!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,788 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
In July 2009 I went into the hospital with a 530mg/dL BG and an A1c of 15.3. After 4 days the doctor told me my pancreas was no longer producing insulin. The hospital discharged me, gave me a script for Lantus and an appointment with a PA in their health group. I started out on 15 units a day and 6 weeks later leveled off at 25 units. My numbers came down fast.

So, yes, the extra help from the basal insulin seemed to have given my pancreas the break it needed to resurrect itself and we now have a pact. I don't mistreat it anymore...it doesn't threaten to kill me.

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
I was diagnosed in 1945, but never had a C-pep test until 2010. The result was less than 0.1. There are, however, some long term diabetics with type 1 for more than 50 years, who have C-pep results greater than 0.6. These individuals were found during the Joslin Medalist Study in Boston, which is still ongoing.
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users