- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kackers

Kackers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just curious, does anyone else suffer from short term memory loss due to too many low bs's? My husband could tell you how many times I've rented a movie we've already seen, and I swear we haven't seen it. It takes me about an hour into the movie to start to get some reccollection that it looks a little familiar. I am a slave to my Blackberry. I have to have reminders for so many things, or I will forget to do them. I feel like I heard somewhere that low blood sugars could cause that. I've been diabetic for 19 years and had my share of lows (especially while on mixes of NPH and what was called Regular insulin years ago) - 2 car wrecks made me push for a pump and I've been on it ever since. Still have lows when I start exercising - until I get everything regulated again.

Morris "Type 1"

Morris "Type 1"

• 500 plus
  • 236 posts
Growing up I recall having a fantastic memory, really sharp, but later in life even much before diagnosis I had become held back by my poor memory. I still to this day have a terrible memory.

That being said I do make efforts to try and improve it, and it has helped.. Just have a long way to go still.

The key thing for me was to find out a way for me to remember things, and use that exclusively, for example:

I use my visual memory now when I want to remember product codes in the shop I work at, just 4 digits but for the life of me I can't remember them, unless I take a mental photograph of it - I can hold that visual in my mind just long enough to type it into the computer. Once I do that, I find that I can remember that number for a few minutes sometimes when I need to, or postal codes too.

Lately been playing with memory palace technique, trying to memorise playing cards.. But things loved ones say will surely be lost - I hope that gets fixed some day because I infuriate my girlfriend.

Bountyman

Bountyman

• 500 plus
  • 4,304 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2

My husband could tell you how many times I've rented a movie we've already seen, and I swear we haven't seen it. It takes me about an hour into the movie to start to get some reccollection that it looks a little familiar.

Oh my gosh, if only! You can weigh the upsides and the downsides of memory recollection. On the one side, it'd be nice to be able to recall anything, at any time. Of course, that'll include BAD memories, too, things we'd wish didn't pop into our consciousness at the odd time. On the upside, DVD rentals and cable On Demand movies are getting expensive anymore. Well, mine are. I also subscribe to HDTV through the cable company and On Demand movies are $5.99 a pop, plus tax. The really good movies that I "BUY", as they put it, I record on my VCR in SP on 3 hour tapes. They don't record as HD 'cause you need a DVR to do that, but what the hey, I'm blind in my right eye and the left eye is gettin' a little dodgy lately, so playing them back in 480p on an HDTV isn't all that bad.

My point here really is about the "memory". I've amassed about 25 good movies over the last 3 years while subscribing to On Demand. The tapes also have a time stamp on the label of when I recorded them. A slow week-end rolls around, there be nothin' on the TV for a Saturday night...so I pop in a movie I recorded a few years back. It's like watching it for the first time. Yes, there are some scenes that seem somewhat familiar...but by that time I'm fairly well liquored up, satiated with high-fructose corn syrup treats and my memory cells are dying off by the minute from high blood sugars.

M'm...diabetes, the poor man's Alzheimer's! :D

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Just curious, does anyone else suffer from short term memory loss due to too many low bs's? My husband could tell you how many times I've rented a movie we've already seen, and I swear we haven't seen it. It takes me about an hour into the movie to start to get some reccollection that it looks a little familiar. I am a slave to my Blackberry. I have to have reminders for so many things, or I will forget to do them. I feel like I heard somewhere that low blood sugars could cause that. I've been diabetic for 19 years and had my share of lows (especially while on mixes of NPH and what was called Regular insulin years ago) - 2 car wrecks made me push for a pump and I've been on it ever since. Still have lows when I start exercising - until I get everything regulated again.

I have poor memory for my age, and it definitely gets worse over the days and weeks if I am fluctuating more. By "poor memory" I mean, I lost the ability to remember any phone number about the age of 30, no matter how many times I tried to memorise it in a variety of ways. And general memory issues, though strangely sharp on a variety of (mostly useless) details. My memory has slightly come back to me, I could start remembering phone numbers again about a year ago, I suspect from better control the last 4 years. From what I can gather any effects beyond a few hours are probably not actually to do with having lows, though I understand the sense of connection (going low feels like brain damage at times - well your brain is being starved of glucose). Certainly highs and particularly fluctuations tend to knock your brain around, I do not know how much is permanent. I personally suspect - a bit, or at least very long term.

drewgolden

drewgolden

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Just curious, does anyone else suffer from short term memory loss due to too many low bs's? My husband could tell you how many times I've rented a movie we've already seen, and I swear we haven't seen it. It takes me about an hour into the movie to start to get some reccollection that it looks a little familiar.

I have observed this as well - too many times.

I suspect that on occasion, I am LOW and still up watching movies with her, and that while I may seem an active participant in the movie experience, it's because I was low that I was not really 100% there.

I don't think it has anything to do with drain bamage however :-)

I think it's more a case of "I was low at the time."

As an example, the first time I saw "There's something about Mary" I was low - and so the whole second half of the movie I was told I did not laugh and responsed that it was not as funny as the first half.

Seriously - it's a cowen brothers movie - second time I saw the second half - I rolled on the floor and knew what I missed.

Your brain is not 100% engaged below certain levels.

I suspect a sensor my help (it's been a movie saver for me!)

drew
Type 1 Since 1986
Lantus + Novolog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users