Photo

What is highest A1C test can someone get?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
I got some bad news about my A1C test and my A1C is 11 which I know is bad but wondering how high can someone go on a A1C test?

Thanks, Rob

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
I think the highest I've ever read about was around 25%. Those kind of readings are taken at the ER. My A1c, in the ER, was 15.3% and it wasn't like I didn't feel it coming. Problem was...I had no idea I had diabetes nor what the symptoms were. I just thought that was what you felt like when you got old.

Oh, and your 11? Um, we're not gonna tolerate that kind of a number here...you're gonna have to bring that number down. :T

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• Seniors
  • 2,121 posts
When DX'd mine was 13.8 and have seen some say they had 14.5.

That is a high A1c.

What have your meals been like...what do you normally eat? How often do you test yourself? What medication do you use to help control your BG's?

Hugs

Laura

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
I turned 50 and feel like my diabetes is much worse now. Now I can eat anything and feel my BS go up or down which in past I felt nothing. I wonder if my pancreas is starting to fail? I'm on insulin. I drink alot of water and did drink diet pop but have quit it.

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Hey Bountyman - we're twins! Mine was 15.3 too. Had a lovely hospital stay and emerged with a T1 diagnosis.

Rob - perhaps you're in need of some insulin. Please check with your doctor. If you're taking your meds and getting different results, you need to change something. Using insulin is not a sign of failure on your part. It's just a hormone that your body may not be producing in sufficient quantities. It might make you feel much better. Don't wait to see how high your A1C can get, as a bout with DKA is NO fun.

Jen

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location95965
I had several symptoms, as I look back, that progressed, slowly. The first thing I noticed was the bottom of my feet itching all the time. That was about 3 years before my diagnoses. Then my legs, from my knees down, started to swell up. I usually wear a size 10½D cowboy boot. At the very end there before diagnosis I was wearing a 13EEE size sneaker that I had to shoehorn into. My thirst went up, food started tasting a little different and I decided to quit drinking whiskey. Boy! What a coming out party my liver had a few days later. I started taking naps after lunch and dinner. Getting up 3 or 4 times a night. In the last stages before I called 911 all I could eat that didn't taste like I was sucking on an old brass doorknob was white grapes, and I sucked on a brass doorknob just to be sure that was what it tasted like. And milk...a ½ gallon of milk a day.

Now here's the sad part. My neighbor, who I talked with almost every day, had been diagnosed a year before all this with type 2 diabetes and been put on Metformin. He'd stop by, look at my feet, tell me I was eating too much salt. I'd roll my eyes and we'd talk about other things. I mentioned to him about getting up at all hours during the night. He said to stop napping during the day...and we'd talk about other things. I mentioned to him about drinking a ½ gallon of milk each day. He suggested if I'm going to drink that much milk I oughta' drink 1% milk...and we'd talk about other things. 3 years this went on...and not once, ever, did he say, "Hey, you know, you might have diabetes...I'll go get my meter and we'll just test you, you know, for the heck of it."

Courtney3208

Courtney3208

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I was admitted into the hospital a little over 3 weeks ago now. My blood sugar was 500 and my a1c was 13.7. I was pregnant at the time and because of my a1c being so high, the baby stopped developing at 4 weeks and I was given a d and c. They have me on 2 types of insulin now... Lantus for the long lasting.. taking 60 units in the morning and night and then a sliding scale for the novolog.. It is definitely NOT somthing to mess around with. They were very adamant about getting my a1c down, and so far my blood sugar is averaging around the 160's. Not what it should be but a lot better than 500.

Shadawbi

Shadawbi

• Members
  • 271 posts
My legs never swelled up, but I had the itchy feet! And then started getting itchy all over at different times of the day. When it started I had a different Dr than I do now & he just put me on a round of steroids, which took it away, but only temporarily. I was eating claritan like candy, thinking it was a weird allergic reaction. Only after getting a new Dr & getting a diagnosis of diabetes did I find out that itchiness is a symptom. My A1c is (I only had one test so far) 11.6. My itchiness & thirst & frequent urination has already shown a huge decrease since I've started changing my eating habits & using insulin & metformin.
Type 2 diagnosed Jan.2011. Caretaker for husband who was shot in the head & suffered a severe traumatic brain injury during a robbery in June 2008. He is a miracle! Mother to a wonderful 17 yr old daughter with learning disabilities. Yes, my plate is very full!:eek:

I take Metformin 500mg 3X/day
Lantus pen 20 units at bedtime
Claritan 10mg for allergies
singulair
Learning to eat lower carb.

jeepers

jeepers

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My 12 yo DD's was 13.5 on Tuesday, after 10 days of 'better' sugars. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

I got some bad news about my A1C test and my A1C is 11 which I know is bad but wondering how high can someone go on a A1C test?

Thanks, Rob

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
At DX my A1C was 16.0 and I was in complete renal failure.
My nurse was betting against me in the ER pool.

I was told they had had someone a few days before with an A1C over 18 and she made it.

Art

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

11 is a concern. I remember some time back you showed great strength in turning your diabetes around, Rob, and I have no doubt you can do it again. Whether your pancreas has lost function or something else is going on, I am confident you can find a much better place with adjusting your diet, possibly your meds, and really honing in on better insulin practises (more insulin, taken precisely when needed). We're rooting for you and we're here to help if we can, Rob.

liz32

liz32

• Seniors
  • 1,338 posts
mine was 16.5 and my go at the time told me that: "it wasn't that bad and not to be worried"
Liz macdonald
T2 since January 2005
levemir & novo rapid

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I have no idea what my A1c was when I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed. The number would have meant nothing to me anyway. I was in denial for the first 10-11 years. I took 2 injections a day, rarely ever tested and ate whatever I wanted. When I finally got insurance, waited out the 1 year pre-existing condition clause and went to a doctor my A1c was 15.4 (I think - it was either 15.4 or 15.6). That was after 11 years with Type 1 and I'm sure my A1c was that high the entire time. I was so used to feeling bad I didn't realize it. I remember the doctor looking at me with a very sad look and teling me, "That's really bad". I knew it was high but didn't really understand how high at the time.

My sister was diagnosed with Type 1 last month. Her A1c in the hospital was 16. Other than very painful leg cramps, she felt pretty good. She had been doing her normal routine, going to work, going bowling, until the day before she finally decided to go to the ER due to the leg pains.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts
I have a friend who claims his was 22.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Not sure what my A1c was at diagnosis, but I was admitted to the hospital with blood sugar in the 1200 range. I can't even imagine that number now. At 400, I am flattened.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Todd G.

Todd G.

• Seniors
  • 1,083 posts

Thanks, Rob

Yeah, you gotta get that down. Heck, you've got almost 2400 posts. You must have picked up something here and there. :)

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
My doctor visit today was good. He raised my insulin levels. Lautas is now 50 units a day instead of 40 units. Novolog went from starting out with 18 units on the sliding scale. He said I can reduce 4 units when I excise.

I ask him about the pump and he wants me to wait till I get my diabetes under control. Next appointment he wants me to have a CMP and a Microalbumin urine test in three months.

Thanks, Rob

cbes

cbes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I just joined this forum after diagnosed 2 weeks back. My A1C value was 13.5 as per the lab test. Right now, he has given 1 month time to evaluate the blood sugar and wants me to start a strict diet and exercise plan.

flemel2001

flemel2001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was diagnosed as a type 1 in January with an A1C of 13. After 48 days on insulin I've gotten it down to 7.3 already!

sweetblood

sweetblood

• Seniors
  • 531 posts

I was diagnosed as a type 1 in January with an A1C of 13. After 48 days on insulin I've gotten it down to 7.3 already!

You go! Thats awesome. :)
type 2 diabetes
stage 1 renal disease w HTN
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

a1c 1/27/11: 5.5 :D--holding steady...

A1c 12/3/13: 5.7

Insulin AB: negative
GAD 65: negative

just a swingin' :eek:

Born fighting, forever a fighter!