- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
Now, an injection to get rid of obesity and diabetes - The Times of India

AHMEDABAD: A weekly injection is now on offer for people to get rid of both diabetes and obesity. On the second day of the national obesity conference being held in the city on Saturday, leading endocrinologist Dr Shashank Joshi said an injection of Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) hormone is the new medicine on the block that is used to treat both diabetes and obesity!

"GLP-1 injection mainly targets the pancreas where it stimulates the beta cells to produce more insulin and targets the alpha cells so that less glucose is produced. By this twin action, it sets a new glucose regulatory mechanism in the body helping to control both diabetes and obesity", said Dr Joshi who is the president of All India Association of Advanced Research in Obesity.

Dr Joshi said that the injection will be used more in patients who suffer from 'diabesity' or those who have both diabetes and obesity. "People who have moderate to severe diabesity should benefit from this injection which is given either daily or once a week", he said.

Chairman and leading obesity surgeon of the country Dr Mahendra Narwaria said that experts dealing with obesity have also mooted a study that compares the results of best medical and surgical practices to treat the alarming burden of 'diabesity' in the country.

"Patients and their response to medicine and surgery for diabesity would be studied so as to evolve the best treatment for any person suffering from the twin lifestyle disorder which is a major risk factor for a host of other diseases", said Dr Narwaria.

Earlier, endocrinologist Dr Navneet Shah, who spoke on drugs being used in treatment of obesity, said 'Orlistat' had been found to be the most effective in obesity management, while most of the other drugs like sibutramine, rimonabant have been banned in most countries including India by the government.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,917 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Like Glipizide, this will only work for a while. When enough beta cells are lost, stimulating your pancreas will no longer be effective. There is a school of thought that this stimulation leads to faster beta cell burnout.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2

2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4

2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9

2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)

2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1

2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

Daytona

Daytona

• Seniors
  • 509 posts
"Diabesity" made me laugh :)

Yeah, I would be concerned that this would be a short term fix and would then create an insulin dependent T2. Also would more insulin really help loosing weight in an insulin resistant person? I always thought that more many people it makes it harder to loose weight...
Diagnosed 12/2010 @ 10.7, Latest A1c 11/2011 @ 5.3!
30 years old
Ketogenic Paleo Diet
www.sweetgeek.net

PlantCityRose

PlantCityRose

• Members
  • 205 posts
The magic medical cure when I was 16 was meth. Right "speed". Gave me tons of energy, felt good, didn't eat much, lost weight, but the crash made me feel like I would die. Doctor had me on it for almost 2 years before a saner medical person put a stop to him & my drug source. I had learned nothing about proper diet or life.

Doubt there is a "cure" that won't also kill you over time.
basal: (30 - 35 units) Novolin N bolus: (I:C 1u:5g) Novolin R
Metformin - 500 mg x2 Lisinopril - 5 mg Furosemide - 10 mg

HbA1c
Jun 15, 2010 - 13.8, 272#, FBG 370
Aug 23, 2010 - 10.3, 236#, FBG 95
Nov 24, 2010 - 5.8, 226#, FBG 95
Feb 14, 2011 - 5.6, 216#, FBG 85
New Doctor: March 28, 2011 - 5.5, 214#, FBG 85
:D

"Angry people want you to see how powerful they are ~ loving people want you to see how powerful You are." Chief Red Eagle

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts

Like Glipizide, this will only work for a while. When enough beta cells are lost, stimulating your pancreas will no longer be effective. There is a school of thought that this stimulation leads to faster beta cell burnout.

-Lloyd

and targets the alpha cells so that less glucose is produced

It does more than help with insulin release. I think they are saying it also supresses gluconeogenesis. I think Victoza is this stuff.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users