• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

raven4ns

raven4ns

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I am a type 2 diabetic and am looking for a bread that is healthy for me to eat. Some say pumpernickel others rye and still others flax bread. The recipes found in my wife's bread machine cookbook and others leaves me scratching my head as to whether they are right for me.
The bread I would like is capable of being made in a bread machine for ease of use. I found some German pumpernickel at our local grocery but was $4 for about 8-10 slices and was frozen which is too expensive for my taste. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Tim

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,690 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
i think where the confusion comes is that pumpernickle may be lower GI, but it is still high. If you are looking for a bread that will not spike you , you need to find one that is made without flour or has a ton of fiber in it. All wheat flour has 96 carbs per cup. Think of how many cups of flour go into a normal bread dough. I put my bread machine away because I couldn't find any bread that would not spike me. I do make flaxseed bread in the oven, but it does not rise. Same with almond meal bread, it has more of a cake texture. But it doesn't spike my bg which is important. But the ingredients for low carb breads tend to be pricey too. I do buy Eziekel sprouted grain bread and find it only spikes me once in awhile but I can usually get away with a couple of slices in the afternoon. But that costs $4 a loaf , too.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
I've been making almond-flaxseed bread that is flour-free. It's a little like zucchini bread in appearance. It's definitely not low fat, but if you miss bread it's definitely an alternative you could consider. In one batch I added a couple of tablespoons of rye flour and some caraway seeds - not true rye bread, but it wasn't bad. Here's the basic recipe. The macadamia oil gives this a sort of lemony, floral scent and is really quite good:

1 3/4 c almond meal
3/4 c ground flaxseed
1/4 c vital wheat gluten (optional)
3 t baking powder
1/4 t sea salt

1/4 c coconut oil (liquified) or 1/4 c macadamia oil
8 ounces softened cream cheese
3 eggs separated, plus 1 egg white
1T water

Preheat oven to 350
Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
Beat 3 of the egg whites to the soft-peak stage
In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, one egg white, cream cheese and water until thick and pale yellow, then add to the dry ingredients
Beat with a hand mixer until well combined
Fold in the eggwhites
The batter will be pretty thick. Place it in a loaf pan.
Bake for about 75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the loaf comes out clean.

This bread is very rich and I cut in very thin slices. I've used it for cheese toasties, tuna sandwiches, a tuna melt, and over the weekend a grilled cheese sandwich! Yum. I also toasted it and served it in place of baguette slices on a cheese plate. Keep in mind that it doesn't rise like yeast bread, so the slices are only about the height of your loaf pan.

I get almost no blood sugar increase with this bread - the toppings determine that.

Jen

raven4ns

raven4ns

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your responses. I am still looking for a bread to have in the morning as toast as well as a bread to use for sandwich wraps. I was looking at tortillas but they seem high in carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions for sandwich wraps? Thank you for your help.

Tim

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,690 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
There are several brands of tortillas that are less than 8 net carbs. The Flat Out Brand is a little thicker. The La Tortilla brand is more like a regular tortialla. Check the label because some are higher carb. Check the ones with the most fiber in them. If you can't find them at your local store check out the online site NETRITION . They have several different low carb breads, lavashes, tortillas and low carb crackers. I also like the WASA Rye cracker. Many times for breakfast or lunch I use that as my bread for meats or a base for nut butters. Another good cracker that doesn't raise my bg is GG Scandanavian Bran Crisp Crackers. Each cracker has 5 grams of fiber, so I use them to keep me regular. I buy them by the case at Netrition. I also make almond bread and have put caraway seeds in it. If you slice it carefully you can toast it. I like to grill it in my Panini maker for sandwiches. Also I just remembered Trader Joes has a sprouted rye bread.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

rmel

rmel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
The Book, [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1931412065/ref=si_aps_sup_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1300799841&sr=8-1&condition=used"]500 low carb recipes[/URL], has a BUNCH of bread recipes in it that work really well. You have to follow the measurements to the drop, though.
Diagnosed Type 2 01/2010
A1c 6.4 01/2010
A1c 6.1 04/2010
A1c 5.9 08/2010
Very high cholesterol
BMI 26.1 04/2010
BMI 25.2 08/2010
Metformin ER 750mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users