Can one lower microalbumin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

debbiedoes

debbiedoes

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts
My last blood work showed that my microalbumin level is now in the borderline range. It was 22.5 (and has been steadily rising from 5, over the last 12 months, since my diabetes dx), and apparently, it should ideally be under 15. Above 30 is supposed to indicate that there is some kidney damage occurring. Has anyone had this issue, and what did you do to lower your microalbumin levels?

modcarb

modcarb

• 500 plus
  • 656 posts

My last blood work showed that my microalbumin level is now in the borderline range. It was 22.5 (and has been steadily rising from 5, over the last 12 months, since my diabetes dx), and apparently, it should ideally be under 15. Above 30 is supposed to indicate that there is some kidney damage occurring. Has anyone had this issue, and what did you do to lower your microalbumin levels?

I had high levels of creatinine which is another indicator of kidney disease. In fact my intern told me I was in stage 2 kidney disease. After recovering from the shock, I went to Akins, a health food store and talked to one of their supplement experts. She recommended Solaray Kidney Blend SP-6. I take 2 capsules every day and have had normal readings since.

debbiedoes

debbiedoes

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts
My creatinine levels are still well within the normal range, but that's interesting about the supplements. Do you know what's in them?

Whack-a-mmol/L

Whack-a-mmol/L

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes you can. I went from 47 to 12 in 6 months. I dropped a lot of weight in that period and took Renelix at the DO's recommendation. If it was the weight loss and subsequent fatty liver reduction or the Renelix I can't say.
DX 11/25/09. A1c 11.4 BG 295
Weight at dx. 295
Current weight. 183
Lowcarb diet
A1c 5.1
Added 500mg Glucophage XR. (Experiment in taming liver issues)
A1c 4.9

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts
Yes you can lower it. Better blood sugars, weight loss, and if you're doing a heavy protein diet ease up on the protein a little bit (you can add in more fat). I've done it several times over the years.

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI
Sleep deprived first time mommy working full time! :eek:
A1C: 6.7 as of 04/28/12

debbiedoes

debbiedoes

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts

Yes you can. I went from 47 to 12 in 6 months. I dropped a lot of weight in that period and took Renelix at the DO's recommendation. If it was the weight loss and subsequent fatty liver reduction or the Renelix I can't say.

Hmmm. I've actually dropped 50lbs in the last year (the time span that my microalbumin has been rising). I'm only 20lbs away from my ideal weight/bmi. Could increased protein in my diet be causing the rise? Besides the diabetes meds, it's the only thing that has changed.

Whack-a-mmol/L

Whack-a-mmol/L

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
My diet is 70% fat, 20 protein, 10 carb fwiw. Others will jump in here but I don't think increased protein is the issue. With your numbers it could be a "phase of the moon" kind of thing. Personally I'd wait for a years worth of lab tests, (2-3 in my case), before getting too concerned.
Weight at dx. 295
Current weight. 183
Lowcarb diet
A1c 5.1
A1c 4.9

debbiedoes

debbiedoes

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts

Yes you can lower it. Better blood sugars, weight loss, and if you're doing a heavy protein diet ease up on the protein a little bit (you can add in more fat). I've done it several times over the years.

Fawn

Good to hear that it could be the protein. That's something that I can control.

debbiedoes

debbiedoes

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts

My diet is 70% fat, 20 protein, 10 carb fwiw. Others will jump in here but I don't think increased protein is the issue. With your numbers it could be a "phase of the moon" kind of thing. Personally I'd wait for a years worth of lab tests, (2-3 in my case), before getting too concerned.

Yeah, it spooked me as my dad died of kidney failure (due to Type 2 diabetes), so kidney issues are really on my radar. I'll relax a little, and trade a little protein for some fat.

Whack-a-mmol/L

Whack-a-mmol/L

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Makes sense, I'll let you know how my next set of labs come out. While not completely relevant at least you'll have another data point set to factor into your situation.

I'll also try to remember to quiz Dr. about the renelix. When asked about my poor kidney numbers his response was, "the conventional medical response" will be to say there is nothing you can do to improve those numbers, but, "I have found that this works with many people".

With that I gave it a try. I have found this Dr. to be very results oriented as opposed to hidebound or lawsuit adverse in his suggestions. For example, when we found out my bs was 295 his first response was to say "how do you feel about needles?' we need to to this down now!". In retrospect that was precisely the right response even though it turned out to be unnecessary because I had started low carb in the meantime, with the concurrent bs reduction as verified in his office- on the spot.

At my last appointment he stated, "you don't need me". I told him I beg to differ. Worst case he keeps me "honest". Best case, his education and experience can synthesize data, situations and relationships that I am not aware of.

Teamwork - what a concept!
Weight at dx. 295
Current weight. 183
Lowcarb diet
A1c 5.1
A1c 4.9

modcarb

modcarb

• 500 plus
  • 656 posts

My creatinine levels are still well within the normal range, but that's interesting about the supplements. Do you know what's in them?

cornsilk, parsley, uva ursi, cleavers, cayenne, juniper, kelp, short buchu, and queen of the meadow.

My endo knows I take it and approves since it is working. My 3 month blood tests after I started were perfect in the kidney aspects.
Diet wise, I would stay with what you are doing since it is working and you are losing weight. As you said your levels were going up anyway. Try some supplements first before changing what works for you.

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • I am a:Type 2
It may not be for everyone, but when my GFR was under 60 and creatine 1.0, I did some visiting at The Kidney Foundation.org, The Kidney School.com and DaVita Forum. There is a lot of good information there (just like here for diabetics)and becoming knowledgeable about kidney disease is in our best interest. Had new kidney & liver function tests today, hoping for some better numbers. They discuss herbs to stay away from (some can be more harmful than helpful)and decreasing phosphorous and potassium. When I looked at the renal diet, it looks pretty bleak, especially when compared to what we as diabetics have become used to. Most of the "no-no" vegetables are on my low carb program. "No-No" because of too much phosphorous and/or potassium. When visiting their forum, your heart goes out to those newly diagnosed, because some kidney disease can be prevented (sorta like diabetes in some cases). Sometimes, the dr. hasn't been as prompt with tests as one would desire and the disease progressed unbeknownst to the patient. My dr. doesn't believe it is apropos to do a phosphorous lab test at this time, I plan on getting the ones she doesn't think I need, just for my own peace of mind.

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6
VLC - No Meds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users