• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

benm024

benm024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
All,

You can see a previous post of mine a couple days ago on my history of pre-diabeties and my recent diagnosis of type 1. Anyway, my GAD antibody test came back at .16. nurse told me normal is <.02. Now I understand this is a postive result for GAD but are there shades of positive? Every result I see you guys post are in the single double or triple digits and my test seems to measure things in less than 1. I would love to compare my result but cant find anyone with this type of range.

Basiclly Im trying to determine how far above normal I am. Does the scale go from 0-.2, 0-1, 0-10 or what. This info would help me determine my rate of progression of insulin dependency as well as see if I can hold out some small sliver of hope that it wont get to that or I had a false positive or something.

Thanks,

Ben

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
I have no idea. For one thing the units do not look familiar, to me ... I had one result come back at 30, and another (later on) at 3. Are there units listed, next to your test results?

After requesting it many times before getting it, I have felt like the GAD positivity poses as many questions as it answers, for me. I definitely have got insulin resistance, but I am very, VERY grateful for the Type 1 status: it gave me access to insulin, as well as to quite a few more test strips. I have much better control over my blood sugar with access to those tools.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,470 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
From what I understand a positive GAD means you may be at risk of Type 1 in the future. It is not a definite. I don't think anyone can tell you exactly when you will need insulin. I think it depends on your C peptide reading and your fasting bgs. As long as you can keep them in the normal range with diet and exercise the better. When you see them creeping up you may need to start out with a basal, long acting insulin and eventually go to a fast acting at meals. Many Type 2's follow the same progression to insulin without the antibodies.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

benm024

benm024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My endo recommended I start insulin for nighttime glucose levels as the only numbers at this point that are even pre-diabetic consistantly are my morning levels. I guess DP is getting me there. It's kind of strange not being on any meds, being healthy and fit, and only having any even pre-diabetic numbers in the morning, the BAM. Hello Ben you tested postive for GAD antibodies which makes you type 1 and the doc wants you to start insulin every day. Talk about no in-between phase. I'm pretty hesitant of going on insulin shots every day when I don't post diabetic numbers and have a 5.4 A1C with a 2.2 C-Peptide. I mean come on, I had a 100 at 2 hours after the 75g Glucose test last week for God sake. However, if it will prolong the time before insulin dependency than I'm game, I just wish there were some other options.

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,470 posts
What are your morning bgs, now? I am a type 2 and my bgs are pretty good and last year when my HbA1c was 5.9, my doctor thought I would need insulin in a small dosage since I am a thin Type 2. I really didn't think I needed it and worked on lowering my carbs and was able to get it down to 5.3 last month. If your bgs are in a normal range in the morning, I'm not sure I would start insulin quite yet unless you are spiking quite alot. As I said before just because you test positive doesn't mean you will automatically get type 1. You could honeymoon for several years or never get it. I would do a little research first.

metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

benm024

benm024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

What are your morning bgs, now? I am a type 2 and my bgs are pretty good and last year when my HbA1c was 5.9, my doctor thought I would need insulin in a small dosage since I am a thin Type 2. I really didn't think I needed it and worked on lowering my carbs and was able to get it down to 5.3 last month. If your bgs are in a normal range in the morning, I'm not sure I would start insulin quite yet unless you are spiking quite alot. As I said before just because you test positive doesn't mean you will automatically get type 1. You could honeymoon for several years or never get it. I would do a little research first.

My glucose when I wake up in the morning is anywhere from 110-130. When I go to bed its usually less than 100. Is there any harm in going on a before bed shot of insulin? Why did you choose not to?

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,470 posts
I am a type 2. I have never had a GAD test, so I assume I am a type 2. I usually go to bed under 100 and wake up 80-90. I take oral meds- metfomin the maximum dose which seems to work for me. I guess your doctor thinks 110-130 is high. My reasons for not going on insulin is mostly financial right now. My high deductible insurane won't cover Lantus or Levimer. My doctor was suggesting NPH from Walmart which I have heard is difficult to work with, but it is cheap.

metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Todd G.

Todd G.

• Seniors
  • 1,189 posts
I don't know enough about the combination of factors affecting you to make a helpful comment, other than to suggest you get a second medical opinion. With your BG numbers, and based on that alone, it would seem that you would benefit from metformin as this would tend to help with the dawn phenomonom you seem to be having, and maybe a thoughtful approach to your diet. But, a small dose of Lantus would work well also if you could keep from going low. With bedtime numbers under 100, you don't have much room on the downside to work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users