- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

WantHealth

WantHealth

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
What do you do with coconut oil - do you cook vegetables in it? meats? does it taste like coconut or just bland like most oils?

I tried a coconut "yogurt" recently and it was awful. It was also pretty high in carbohydrates (added sugar); thankfully I only bought one as a test and tossed it. I wanted to try coconut "milk" but have never found one that doesn't contain sugar. I'm doing fine with almond milk anyway, I like the taste well enough.

Oh, and does anyone know where to find full-fat greek yogurt? I love greek yogurt (chobani brand, plain, unsweetened) but realized it would be even better for us "d's" if it weren't non-fat. It would be ideal if it were full-fat or even 2% might cut it.... does anyone have a source or a brand? I would also love to find a greek yogurt with artificial sweetener...Chobani and others are "all natural" so they use real sugar and fruits....so I'm forced to get the plain. For the time being I just add a little Splenda to the plain variety because it can be too tart.

stanleytapp

stanleytapp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Coconut oil is best for every thing. but I prefer to add it to make spicy curies n other spicy dishes.

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
My favorite use of coconut oil is fully steamed into a double espresso along with some heavy cream.

The low-carb Greek yogurt is called "strained Greek yogurt". Here in California they have it in a store called Henry's. One cup is 23g of fat, 15g of protein and 7g of carbs - much lower than regular yogurt - Greek or otherwise. It is the consistency of sour cream but very sweet tasting.

What do you do with coconut oil - do you cook vegetables in it? meats? does it taste like coconut or just bland like most oils?

I tried a coconut "yogurt" recently and it was awful. It was also pretty high in carbohydrates (added sugar); thankfully I only bought one as a test and tossed it. I wanted to try coconut "milk" but have never found one that doesn't contain sugar. I'm doing fine with almond milk anyway, I like the taste well enough.

Oh, and does anyone know where to find full-fat greek yogurt? I love greek yogurt (chobani brand, plain, unsweetened) but realized it would be even better for us "d's" if it weren't non-fat. It would be ideal if it were full-fat or even 2% might cut it.... does anyone have a source or a brand? I would also love to find a greek yogurt with artificial sweetener...Chobani and others are "all natural" so they use real sugar and fruits....so I'm forced to get the plain. For the time being I just add a little Splenda to the plain variety because it can be too tart.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,464 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I use coconut oil in everything. My favorite use is to spread it on low carb crackers or mix it with raw almond butter. I also do a lot of very low carb baking with almond flour and flaxseed in place of flour. Instead of butter I use melted coconut oil. I also use it when making my very low carb waffles made with whey powder instead of flour. I use CO instead of vegetable oil. Any coconut product will give you the benefit. Coconut Milk is another good source, just make sure it hasn't been sweetened. I add a can of coconut milk to a lot of my soups to make them thick. When I make cookies with coconut oil and use them as an after dinner snack my bgs will be 20 points lower in the morning.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 4 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-3 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 63

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,240 posts
My local grocery store carries plain full-fat Fage Greek yogurt. I shop at a small chain in So. Cal. (Gelson's); Whole Foods may carry it too.

Jen

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I use the Spectrum Brand refined Coconut oil, tasteless, odorless. Fry, bake, directly consume, good for anything.

We buy Cabot full fat Greek yogurt. I use the Crystal light brand drink mixes to flavor it any way I want. Also 1 large container and a small box of SF Jello makes a wonderful ice cream in your ice cream maker. Boil less than 1/4 cup water add the SF jello, mix, then add it to the yogurt, blend well, put it in your ice cream maker.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

mjrc64

mjrc64

• 500 plus
  • 1,145 posts
Okay, here is a new use for some of you!

I was at the dentist and the hygensit suggested oil pulling for gum leath and to reduce plaque buidup!

Anyone hear of this? It is even hard to find googling, but I did find it. She said you swish 2T in your mouth for awhile(as long as you can, really, because I think they say 20 mins, but she says she cannot even do it that long). But it is supposed to gently draw toxins from the gums and between teeth and ad a heathy barrier and pH, I think.

My dental office is very holistic, and she also cooks with and consumes coconut oil as a healthful food. No diabetes.

I have yet to try coconut oil. Ugh. I am having a hard time shaking off a lifetime of nutritiona misinformation and feel overwhelmed by all the information I am trying to wade through.

mi
Michele

A1c: 8.3 on 9/9/10 and
5.3 on 12/6/10
5.0 and fasting BG 96 on 12/2/11
5.0 and fasting BG 105 on 1/6/13
5.2(different lab) and fasting BG of 103

TG: 456 on 9/9/10, 125 on 12/6/10, 195 on 1/6/13, 106 9/13/13(Yay!)

Maintaining a 50 pound weight loss, striving to make it 60 or 70!

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Are you getting the "strained" one or the regular one? How many grams of carbs in a cup?

My local grocery store carries plain full-fat Fage Greek yogurt. I shop at a small chain in So. Cal. (Gelson's); Whole Foods may carry it too.

Jen

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
CO is a potent anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal both internally and externally.

Okay, here is a new use for some of you!

I was at the dentist and the hygensit suggested oil pulling for gum leath and to reduce plaque buidup!

Anyone hear of this? It is even hard to find googling, but I did find it. She said you swish 2T in your mouth for awhile(as long as you can, really, because I think they say 20 mins, but she says she cannot even do it that long). But it is supposed to gently draw toxins from the gums and between teeth and ad a heathy barrier and pH, I think.

My dental office is very holistic, and she also cooks with and consumes coconut oil as a healthful food. No diabetes.

I have yet to try coconut oil. Ugh. I am having a hard time shaking off a lifetime of nutritiona misinformation and feel overwhelmed by all the information I am trying to wade through.

mi

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,997 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have tried coconut oil and have to say that I dislike it. I tried it in coffee and hated the oil slick on top of my coffee. I tried to whip it in and the oil slick returned quicker than I could drink it. Then there was the oily lips that just grossed me out. I tried cooking with it and it was not a success. For me, it is a no go. Lots of others use it and like it.

Now Greek yogurt is something I am having a lot of luck with for breakfast. I started with the brand Fage and even the full fat one raised my blood sugar so high, it took me hours to recoup. I recently found a brand called Greek Gods Greek yogurt. There is full fat and two percent. I opted for the full fat. It has five carbs per serving ( I figured about 2/3 cup or maybe a little more) and it does not spike my blood sugar. I found it at Sprouts.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,464 posts
I'll have to try the CO as a mouth wash. My daughter does use it on her psoraisis and it works much better than the pricey Rx creams. When you gargle it to you do it straight, just melted or do you mix it in with warm water or something. We live in a cold area so my CO is always a solid until summer. As far as greek yogurt, I can't eat it in the morning, it spikes me terrible. I can eat a small amount later in the day. Someone suggested mixing it with full fat sour cream to increase the fat content. I buy mine at Trader Joes, but their full fat one has more carbs than the lower or 0 fat one.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 4 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-3 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 63

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts
I've seen full-fat Fage Greek yogurt at Whole Foods and Wegmans. Other than that, I've only ever seen 2% Fage in regular chain grocery stores. I haven't seen any other brands in full-fat form, and I can't find anything that's NOT fat free from Chobani or Oikos.

I rarely use coconut oil now. I have 2 big jars of it - thought I would use it a lot. But I don't care for the coconutty smell when I'm cooking, and even the ones people say are "flavorless and odorless" tend to have both for me (ESPECIALLY the smell). Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it than others, but I now only use coconut oil in my hot protein drinks (hot chocolate or hot chai tea).

Instead, I use MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil. It's essentially the same good stuff as in coconut oil except it doesn't solidify, so it's much more versatile, and I find it to be completely flavorless.

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

Haniwitch

Haniwitch

• 500 plus
  • 324 posts
I've used CO in coffee and hot chocolate (made with chocolate almond breeze) and for baking. Like jwags my CO is solid--almost rock hard solid to the point where weaker spoons bend trying to get it out of the jar. It was starting to soften up when we got hit with a cold snap (and snow) on May 1! I only started using it last fall so it will be interesting to see if it ever gets to a liquid state this summer. We do get warm weather, but will it be warm enough?

As for greek yoghurt I've never found any around here that didn't have an enormous amount of carbs. I eat Yoplait's Source Dessert Yoghurt and Danone's Silhouette 0+ Yoghurt which have 5/6 carbs per 100-gram serving.

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Have you checked what else they removed and what else they did to it when the "fractionated" it? Coconut oil has many amazing ingredients besides MCT's and although I am far from the "taste" problems you're experiencing, even if I had them I'd be wary of this man-mangled product. Such things after all are likely a big part of what got us here in the first place!

I've seen full-fat Fage Greek yogurt at Whole Foods and Wegmans. Other than that, I've only ever seen 2% Fage in regular chain grocery stores. I haven't seen any other brands in full-fat form, and I can't find anything that's NOT fat free from Chobani or Oikos.

I rarely use coconut oil now. I have 2 big jars of it - thought I would use it a lot. But I don't care for the coconutty smell when I'm cooking, and even the ones people say are "flavorless and odorless" tend to have both for me (ESPECIALLY the smell). Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it than others, but I now only use coconut oil in my hot protein drinks (hot chocolate or hot chai tea).

Instead, I use MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil. It's essentially the same good stuff as in coconut oil except it doesn't solidify, so it's much more versatile, and I find it to be completely flavorless.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts

Have you checked what else they removed and what else they did to it when the "fractionated" it? Coconut oil has many amazing ingredients besides MCT's and although I am far from the "taste" problems you're experiencing, even if I had them I'd be wary of this man-mangled product. Such things after all are likely a big part of what got us here in the first place!

Umm, they removed the other non-MCT fats. They've simply extracted only the MCT oil portion. Coconut oil is approximately 66% MCTs. I'm pretty sure MCT oil did not make me obese nor diabetic :)
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

peeka73

peeka73

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I use coconut oil to make coconut chocolate bark! Mmm! A tablespoon or 2 in a warm pan, add a teaspoon or 2 of unsweetened cocoa powder, a few packs of stevia and then drop it onto a curved plate (not totally flat) with a sprinkle of toasted walnuts or almonds. Stick in freezer for about 15 minutes, and YUMMY choco bark! So easy and so satisfying!

I also use it for curries or veggie sautes. Coconut oil goes really well with curry dishes. I have tried to add them to teas, but couldn't stomach the oil floating on top. So I eat it cooked in dishes. Good thing I really like curries! :)
Metformin ER 2000mg
Lisinopril 5mg x1
Lantus 10units (started 1/19/14)
Supplements: Vitamin C, Multi-Vit
Low Carb eating 35-50 a day
DX 2/2010 - A1C =12, BG=299
8/2010 - A1C =7.1
11/2010 - A1C =5.9
4/2011 - A1C = 6.4
8/2011 - A1c = 5.9
1/2012 - A1c = 6.3
7/2012 - A1c = 6.0
1/2013 - A1c = 6.2
7/2013 - A1c = 6.0
1/2014 - A1c = 6.7 (rose after inexplicable highs in late Oct, Nov and early Dec)
Current avgs: 126 (90 days)

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
There is an entire universe out there dedicated to "oil-pulling" for dental health. I've just never tried it.

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6
VLC - No Meds

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

There is an entire universe out there dedicated to "oil-pulling" for dental health. I've just never tried it.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,891 posts
I use Coconut Oil to make my own low carb chocolate and peanut butter cups. My recipe is below:

I make my own homemade chocolate from coconut oil. The process and ingredients is fairly simple. You can use this chocolate to make chocolate bars, chocolate nut bark, and peanut butter cups. I usually make up a large batch, so I can make some of each out of the same batch.

To make the chocolate, start off with a quality coconut oil. I use Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You are going to mix the ingredients in a double boiler or something similar. You don’t want to place ingredients directly into a pan that is over an open flame. I take a pan of water and heat it up. Then, I place a large glass bowl over the open pan of hot water. The steam and hot water keep the boil warm without burning the ingredients.

Mix:
1 cup of Coconut Oil
1 cup of Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup of artificial sugar/sweetener*** (add more to sweeten to your own personal taste)
Pinch of salt.

*** - You can use your own preferred artificial sweetener. I use Stevia, Splenda or Sweet Perfection. If you have not used Sweet Perfection, then look them up on-line at ChocoPerfection Bars I actually blend a couple of sweeteners together for my own personal mix. I use about 50% of Sweet Perfection (which is more of a fiber), and add about 30% Stevia in the Raw, and then finally add a little Splenda until it is sweet enough. My own taste, Splenda is the sweetest of the three, so I add a little more Splenda to keep the sweetness to own personal taste.

I also add a couple scoops of Benefiber (to give my chocolate a little bonus fiber….you don’t have to do this…but I like the extra fiber, and it does not impact the taste or texture).

Again, you can vary the amount to make as much or as little as you want. I usually make at batch that makes about 1.5 to 2 cups each time.

After all of the ingredients are together, make sure that you keep stirring them together. The coconut oil will separate out if you don’t keep stirring.

To make bars: - Simply pour some of the chocolate in a small, shallow pan and place in the refrigerator. After it cools, cut to the size you want.

To make nut bars: – Cut up your favorite nuts and place in a shallow pan. Pour the chocolate over the nuts, and place in the refrigerator.

To make peanut butter cups: – Buy one or two of the small muffin tins. Place the muffin tray in the freezer for a couple of minutes to cool it down (this helps the chocolate set up faster). Pull the pan out of the freezer, and fill each muffin slot about 40% full of chocolate (should be about 1 tsp). Place tin back in freezer and let it sit for about 2 minutes (continue to stir chocolate as you wait). Pull the tin out, and place one teaspoon of natural peanut butter on top of each chocolate slot. After placing peanut butter on top of each muffin slot, fill the remainder of the slot with chocolate, and place the entire tin in the refrigerator.

With the peanut butter cups, you are basically building a sandwich, with two layers of chocolate and peanut butter in between. If you don’t chill the chocolate in the first step, the peanut butter will sink through the chocolate and will not form up properly. After the peanut butter cups are cooled, you can use a spoon to pop the cups out of the muffin tin. I keep the cups in the tin in the refrigerator until I am ready to eat them, and pop them out one at a time. They seem to last longer that way.

To make Chocolate Covered Strawberries: – You can also dip fresh strawberries in the chocolate mix, and then place in the refrigerator. This chocolate can be a little “lumpy” when you use it in this fashion. It will not look great, but it will definitely taste great!

CAUTON: The primary ingredient in this chocolate is coconut oil, which becomes a liquid at 78 degrees. Therefore, all of these recipes above must be kept in the refrigerator. If you place this out at room temperature, they will quickly fall apart.

Depending on the sweeteners you use, I estimate the peanut butter cups to have about 5 net carbs in each one. Again, it will depend on your serving size, and what you used to sweeten the chocolate.
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

peeka73

peeka73

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Nick: Your chocolate peanut butter cups recipe sounds DIVINE. I will so try that! Thanks so much for sharing the recipes! I haven't had a peanut butter cup in ages!!
Metformin ER 2000mg
Lisinopril 5mg x1
Lantus 10units (started 1/19/14)
Supplements: Vitamin C, Multi-Vit
Low Carb eating 35-50 a day
DX 2/2010 - A1C =12, BG=299
8/2010 - A1C =7.1
11/2010 - A1C =5.9
4/2011 - A1C = 6.4
8/2011 - A1c = 5.9
1/2012 - A1c = 6.3
7/2012 - A1c = 6.0
1/2013 - A1c = 6.2
7/2013 - A1c = 6.0
1/2014 - A1c = 6.7 (rose after inexplicable highs in late Oct, Nov and early Dec)
Current avgs: 126 (90 days)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users