- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

cbes

cbes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
It appears a lot of people are taking the MCT oil as a part of DM management plan. Coconut oil seems to be the very popular choice. While I was browsing the vitacost website, I came across an MCT oil product (smart basics).

Is someone taking this product, and if so what is your feedback ? Also please suggest if I should just stick to coconut oil
T2 - no meds just diet & exercise
====================
3/2011 - 13.5 (Dx) :eek:
7/2011 - 6.5

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
My opinion is that unless there is some reason why you can't that you just stick to real coconut oil. It is a great natural product and contains many fantastic ingredients and attributes in addition to MCTs (admittedly one of the most amazing).

At the very least, do a little research on exactly what has been removed from the man-mangled version to be sure you really want it without those things. Personally, I trust the coconut tree much more than the chemical laboratory. My suspicion is that it was nothing but (baseless) lipophobia which prompted them to mangle (fractionate, I believe they call it) this amazing product of nature.

BTW, did you know there is only one substance occurring in nature which can be injected directly into the human bloodstream as-is as a plasma replacement? The water in fresh coconuts. It is even delivered sterile and ready to use. It was common in parts of the world during the world wars when plasma ran out. They literally plunged a tube into a green coconut and the other end of the tube was a catheter in the wounded soldier's arm!

It appears a lot of people are taking the MCT oil as a part of DM management plan. Coconut oil seems to be the very popular choice. While I was browsing the vitacost website, I came across an MCT oil product (smart basics).

Is someone taking this product, and if so what is your feedback ? Also please suggest if I should just stick to coconut oil

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

jillybean

jillybean

• Seniors
  • 1,282 posts
I'm not sure why extracting only the oil from a coconut is any different from then extracting only the MCT portion of that oil from the coconut oil, but apparently it scares some people! Coconut oil is actually about 60-something percent MCT oil whereas MCT oil is, well, 100% MCT oil. I don't like the coconut oil for cooking because I can ALWAYS smell it (have tried different brands and whatnot), and I can't use it in many diferent ways because it's a solid at room temperature or below, so I use MCT oil instead.

That said, I wouldn't say I am "taking" MCT oil - I simply use it because it's a healthier alternative to most other oils. I don't use it to treat any conditions. I just add oils to certain foods/drinks to increase my daily fat intake since some of the things I consume are naturaly very low in fat. I also use almond oil sometimes to add mono unsaturated fats. I've tried flax oil, but, to me, it had a very strong taste that didn't mix well with what I was adding it to. I also used macadamia nut oil, but, again, the flavor was too strong for me.

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
That's exactly what I meant by "unless there is some reason". You have a reason, you don't like the taste/smell.

Having said that, there is IMO a huge difference between pressing coconut meat, allowing the oil to float to the top and skimming it off (coconut oil) versus chemically "fractionating" the oil to break it apart chemically and retaining only a few of its many components. Actually pretty reminiscent of hydrogenating vegetable oil and forcing corn to produce oil (not an "oil crop" by nature). Moreover, to the extent I've read about its components, you are missing some really good stuff by using the fractionated version. Also, I don't believe there was any sound rationale for damaging the natural product in the first place.

I'm not sure why extracting only the oil from a coconut is any different from then extracting only the MCT portion of that oil from the coconut oil, but apparently it scares some people! Coconut oil is actually about 60-something percent MCT oil whereas MCT oil is, well, 100% MCT oil. I don't like the coconut oil for cooking because I can ALWAYS smell it (have tried different brands and whatnot), and I can't use it in many diferent ways because it's a solid at room temperature or below, so I use MCT oil instead.

That said, I wouldn't say I am "taking" MCT oil - I simply use it because it's a healthier alternative to most other oils. I don't use it to treat any conditions. I just add oils to certain foods/drinks to increase my daily fat intake since some of the things I consume are naturaly very low in fat. I also use almond oil sometimes to add mono unsaturated fats. I've tried flax oil, but, to me, it had a very strong taste that didn't mix well with what I was adding it to. I also used macadamia nut oil, but, again, the flavor was too strong for me.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

jillybean

jillybean

• Seniors
  • 1,282 posts

Having said that, there is IMO a huge difference between pressing coconut meat, allowing the oil to float to the top and skimming it off (coconut oil) versus chemically "fractionating" the oil to break it apart chemically and retaining only a few of its many components. Actually pretty reminiscent of hydrogenating vegetable oil and forcing corn to produce oil (not an "oil crop" by nature). Moreover, to the extent I've read about its components, you are missing some really good stuff by using the fractionated version. Also, I don't believe there was any sound rationale for damaging the natural product in the first place.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Whether I like the smell/flavor of coconut oil or not, I find the MCT oil much more versatile since it doesn't need to be heated. I understand what you're saying; I just don't share that view. Hydrogenation forces additional hydrogen not otherwise present into the oils. MCT oil is simply a part of the coconut oil as coconut oil is part of a coconut. From what I've been able to find online, the evil fractionation process involves scary things like water and steam. This isn't case of Splenda craziness ("Tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar!"); it's oil from oil, not oil from corn or barely a step away from plastic (like margarine *shudder*).

I need to find ways of getting this coconut oil into my husband, as it is said to also be good for psoriasis, which he has. Of course, he also doesn't drink coffee or tea, and he just eats whtever I cook!

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

cbes

cbes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks folks ! very interesting discussion! So far I have not taken coconut oil directly hence I'm going to try both and see which one works. Other than boosting the metabolism, are there any direct benefit to MCT oil consumption ? Does it have any impact on HDL, LDL and Trigs ?
T2 - no meds just diet & exercise
====================
3/2011 - 13.5 (Dx) :eek:
7/2011 - 6.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users