COLONOSCOPY and INSULIN

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Nita

Nita

• 500 plus
  • 333 posts
I will be having a colonoscopy in the morning. Has anyone taking insulin had any trouble with their blood sugars doing this?

I was told to just take half the dose of insulin tonight but I am even afraid to do that. I bolus Humalog for meals and use Levemir twice a day for basal.

I had a sugar low at 2 am today and ate ice cream (allowed til 3 today) and drank some apple juice to get it up to 167 this morning. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with another low and cannot correct it with any more to eat or drink tonight before the colonoscopy.

I start my dreaded meds at 3 today and will be allowed jello, juice, broth for a while. I guess all I can do is test, test, test. I just don't know if I should try to stay high and not keep doing bolus insulin or not.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Nita

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

I will be having a colonoscopy in the morning. Has anyone taking insulin had any trouble with their blood sugars doing this?

I was told to just take half the dose of insulin tonight but I am even afraid to do that. I bolus Humalog for meals and use Levemir twice a day for basal.

I had a sugar low at 2 am today and ate ice cream (allowed til 3 today) and drank some apple juice to get it up to 167 this morning. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with another low and cannot correct it with any more to eat or drink tonight before the colonoscopy.

I start my dreaded meds at 3 today and will be allowed jello, juice, broth for a while. I guess all I can do is test, test, test. I just don't know if I should try to stay high and not keep doing bolus insulin or not.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Nita

Yup, been there, done that. Half your basal insulin and don't bolus unless you're over 200 and half your correction dose to prevent lows. When you're on all liquids and your body is expelling 'everything' it ends up working like exercise. i had a wicked 3 hr low overnight before my procedure that almost ersulted in me cancelling my procedure. boyfriend had to stay with me that night to make sure I didn't have problems, he woke me up when I was low. Had a lot of apple juice and ginger ale lemme tell ya! You end up testing A TON and it's what's needed. The recovery didn't seem to impact my blood sugars though. When I came out of the procedure I took my full dose of basal and a slight corrective bolus before eating, everything was fine then. The best of luck!

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI
Sleep deprived first time mommy working full time! :eek:
A1C: 6.7 as of 04/28/12

Nita

Nita

• 500 plus
  • 333 posts
Thank you so much, Fawn,

It helps to be able to discuss it with someone and I will surely watch and stay higher after reading of your trial.

Nita

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
These are the questions I'd be asking myself. Why did you have those lows this morning? Why would a half dose not be safe tonight?

If the answer is that your current doses are excessive/not worked out, then yes, half may not quite be in total safety zone! I would say if you doses are at all normally accurate, half should be more than enough reduction. If not, you'll need to use further judgement.

Otherwise, having been there done that too, you just need to skate a little high, and trust that they will test your blood sugars when under (double check they will, yep? :) )
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

andersgeorgsson

andersgeorgsson

• 500 plus
  • 320 posts
Whenever I am uncertain about what is going to happen, I always go HIGH rather than low... When I travel, or stay away from home, I target 150 instead of the normal 120 that my endo has told me to keep (I tend to automatically aim lower than that <wink>, if you spend 24 hours higher than normal (as long as it is controllably high) - that't be my option any day, over chancing lows.....

That's my two cents... I'll share, if you want to - if not, I 'll keep'em for myself :)
-------------------------
dx Type 2 in 1998

Lantus once a day before breakfast,
Novolog with every meal per bolus calculation.

A1C 2/ 9/11:10.0
A1C 4/23/11: 6.8 ! (home)
A1C 5/14/11: 6.6
A1C 6/29/11: 6.3 (home)
A1C 10/15/11: 6.1!
IAB Neg, GAD Low - C-Peptide: 0.9

Received Minimed Revel 723 BLACK 6/10/2011, Pumping Humalog since 6/29/2011.

Nita

Nita

• 500 plus
  • 333 posts

Yup, been there, done that. Half your basal insulin and don't bolus unless you're over 200 and half your correction dose to prevent lows. When you're on all liquids and your body is expelling 'everything' it ends up working like exercise. i had a wicked 3 hr low overnight before my procedure that almost ersulted in me cancelling my procedure. boyfriend had to stay with me that night to make sure I didn't have problems, he woke me up when I was low. Had a lot of apple juice and ginger ale lemme tell ya! You end up testing A TON and it's what's needed. The recovery didn't seem to impact my blood sugars though. When I came out of the procedure I took my full dose of basal and a slight corrective bolus before eating, everything was fine then. The best of luck!

Fawn

It is all over and happily no 'TULIPS" (Polyps) as my dear Mom used to say...lol.
I wish I had followed what you said a little more and paid attention because let me tell you...one should TEST TEST TEST which I did but had lows too often and I was afraid I was going to have to go to the ER or call for a shot being too low and messing up my appointment. Maybe the discussions on this thread will help someone else some day.

I ended up not taking ANY basal Levemir the night before. I had corrected a bit with the bolus Humalog and was sure glad I did NOT count the carbs in the Gatorade and do the dosage for that. One might say my dosages ordinarily are not correct but they are for regular food. Just not liquids....does not work for me.

It was a scary constant testing blood sugars. What is my liver thinking? They were o.k. with the 195 BS I presented to them this a.m. Now the regular regime is back to normal and working great.

Thanks you guys.....
Nita

aiah23

aiah23

• 500 plus
  • 1,748 posts

It is all over and happily no 'TULIPS" (Polyps) as my dear Mom used to say...lol.
I wish I had followed what you said a little more and paid attention because let me tell you...one should TEST TEST TEST which I did but had lows too often and I was afraid I was going to have to go to the ER or call for a shot being too low and messing up my appointment. Maybe the discussions on this thread will help someone else some day.

I ended up not taking ANY basal Levemir the night before. I had corrected a bit with the bolus Humalog and was sure glad I did NOT count the carbs in the Gatorade and do the dosage for that. One might say my dosages ordinarily are not correct but they are for regular food. Just not liquids....does not work for me.

It was a scary constant testing blood sugars. What is my liver thinking? They were o.k. with the 195 BS I presented to them this a.m. Now the regular regime is back to normal and working great.

Thanks you guys.....
Nita

totally understand about the normal boluses being too much on an all liquid diet, you're not alone with that!!! Glad everything went okay though and hope the rest of this week is great for you.

Fawn
Novolog and Levemir, MDI
Sleep deprived first time mommy working full time! :eek:
A1C: 6.7 as of 04/28/12

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Tell your doc exactly what happened to you.
Maybe it will be better for the next patient

Art

worstday.jpg

Nita

Nita

• 500 plus
  • 333 posts
Art, I hope they give me one of those questionaires/comment things that you fill out stating your experience with the procedure/staff, etc. I will certainly do what you suggest.

Thanks again guys,
Nita

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

The first and foremost thing is it sounds like you got through with flying colours. That's great. The second thing is (for people as you say, thinking about this, reading the thread, etc) is that basal should be geared to cover your needs without any food whatsoever. So if you find yourself going low just from basal, there's a good chance you are usually taking too much (and perhaps, not enough bolus at meals - but working that out has to come after finding the right basal).

Again, it's great you worked out how to handle it for yourself - that's the main thing - but if things go haywire at some stage, keep in mind, that your basal currently may be doing more heavy lifting than it should be, and that can cause surprising things to occur if your food intake is upset at all.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users