Photo

The urge to fall asleep is often intense..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Morris "Type 1"

Morris "Type 1"

• 500 plus
  • 236 posts
At home, I'm always falling asleep, while at the computer desk I start to zone out and catch myself nodding off.. I eventually get the urge to just, rest on my bed, for a minute and them I'm out like a light - I do this regularly. It's like I can't fight the urge and end up laying down despite wanting to stay awake.

Often times It's because of a lot of carbs and high sugar, I have to acknowledge that, I just wonder if that's the only reason - it does happen a lot.

Thoughts?

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • I am a:Type 1
Have you been checked for narcolepsy? It is a disorder that causes sudden urges to sleep. I have a good friend from college who had it - it made it difficult for her to stay awake during classes. I'm not sure how it is diagnosed...
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

LaCansada

LaCansada

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am a type 1 with sleep apnea. This is totally unrelated to my diabetes. Before using a CPAP, I could fall asleep anytime, anywhere. One of the primary symptoms, aside from fatigue, is loud snoring and/or gasping for air at night. This is diagnosed via a sleep study, however, before they will do one there needs to be some indication that the problem might be sleep apnea.

Brian J

Brian J

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
If I have a real urge to want to fall asleep, I am usually getting very low. This is always a sure sign for me to test and most of the time I need some carbs.
06/20/1987 DX
MDI Novorapid and Lantus

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 2,994 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
You didn't mention your normal bedtime and rising times. Maybe you are actually not getting enough rest.

Hope it is something as simple as that.

regards,
Janice
Type 2 Husband = 17 units Lantus in the AM

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
Could also be that you're low on iron....I was really low on iron, I suspect for a long time, and just recently (this week) started taking a supplement. My energy is back up.....or maybe that's the diet coke ;).
Worth checking in to.
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
How old are you? :) I just told one of my doctors that almost everyday, I want to fall asleep in the late afternoon or early evening. I can be sitting here at the computer and doze off, often sleep for 15 minutes or so...often wake with a stiff neck or achy back. My doctor told me, he does the same thing, and if I find an answer for it, to tell him about it. LOL My husband falls asleep sitting on the couch watching a TV show, he can be sound asleep holding the remote in his hand and even clicks it once in awhile. I ask how old you are, because I am 64 and Pat is 75, I did not do this even 5 years ago. I do not think it has to do with my Diabetes and I know I do not have sleep apnea, I think it just comes with getting older. If I get up and do something, walk in the yard, sweep the floor, etc, the sleepiness goes away. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

ant hill

ant hill

• 500 plus
  • 7,460 posts

If I have a real urge to want to fall asleep, I am usually getting very low. This is always a sure sign for me to test and most of the time I need some carbs.

Yes, The same here as I know when I am low when I get to nod off at a unusual time of the day as then I can bet that I am low! I just reach for the jelly beans, Don't bother testing.
Right now I am sky high. :(

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

andersgeorgsson

andersgeorgsson

• 500 plus
  • 320 posts

You didn't mention your normal bedtime and rising times. Maybe you are actually not getting enough rest.

I'm one of those people that sleep from 3am to 5.30am when its time to head to work... And I know that I can very easily take a nap any time of the day.

I contribute both these things to my time in the air force - you'd get your shut-eye whenever it was possible..
-------------------------
dx Type 2 in 1998

Lantus once a day before breakfast,
Novolog with every meal per bolus calculation.

A1C 2/ 9/11:10.0
A1C 4/23/11: 6.8 ! (home)
A1C 5/14/11: 6.6
A1C 6/29/11: 6.3 (home)
A1C 10/15/11: 6.1!
IAB Neg, GAD Low - C-Peptide: 0.9

Received Minimed Revel 723 BLACK 6/10/2011, Pumping Humalog since 6/29/2011.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Morris, I'm very susceptible to tiredness and fatigue. I see very clear connections to any blood sugar movements. However, I also think (as do docs I've seen over the years) that it's probably something underlying being set off. It may also be partly created by allergic reaction to the preservatives and additives in the insulin, something I seem to get in various forms. One aspect of this was when I needed to take a lot more Levemir than other insulins (it just didn't work so well for me) I had extreme tiredness, especially in the morning.

Fatigue can be caused by so many things. I'd suggest you work through the best general doctor you've got to check out a few of the possibilities, such as already suggested. And just do what you can where you can with the BGs: if you know that certain foods stuff your BGs and make you tired: exercise your choice to eat them or not.

As far as the insulin preservative issue goes, if you suspect that, try another insulin, and try and get a doc to take it seriously. I haven't been able to, or to put it another way, they simply don't have alternatives to offer, and I don't get systemic reactions bad enough to seem like a pressing issue for them.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

SCC

SCC

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
I can fall asleep almost any time any place. Much of it is lack of interest (boring meetings, boring TV shows, slow movies....) but for me it can also be that I am going low or that I am high. So I test to see. That answers most of my issues. I was also low on iron at one point, and since I take a small does of Lipitor, I take CO Q10 supplement.
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
Did you have trouble with fatigue prior to being diagnosed?

Diabetes can create instances of fatigue, but there are plenty of other causes of fatigue as well. Others have previously mentioned narcolepsy and sleep apnea. If you snore, if you have a bed partner or anyone who has observed what they feel are you having stopped breathing while sleeping, then restarting, or if you've ever woken up with sense of gasping for air, tell those issues to your doctor and you might get sent off for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea.

If the fatigue is affecting your life and doesn't improve, again, tell your doctor. Depending upon an initial screening at a sleep center, you might have an overnight study done followed up with a daytime study of a series of naps, where how fast you fall asleep and if you dream in multiple instances could lead to a diagnosis of narcolepsy.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users