• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
I will attempt to clear the air here.

Yes, I have stated that no diet will be more effective in lowering/limiting blood sugar than the ketogenic diet. This means no sustainable and nourishing diet. I suppose on the way to starving to death, your BG would probably go down.

This is often met with indignant responses like:

- not everyone can eat that way
- not everyone WANTS to eat that way
- people have been successful on other diets

NONE of which have anything at all to do with the point.

The ketogenic diet is science. It is not a fad. It has well over 100 years of history. It, along with a rather precise calculation called the Ketogenic Ratio. It was put together by scientists and doctors, not people who post on forums.

Was it designed as the ultimate diet to reduce blood sugar? Well, no, not exactly. It was scientifically designed as the ultimate diet to reduce insulin which generally speaking is the same thing. Originally, a somewhat harsher calorie-restricted version was used to safely treat childhood epilepsy. In the early 20th century, doctors who had neither insulin or diabetic meds at their disposal discovered how to make many diabetics completely "sugar-free" with diet alone. What they arrived at looked very much like the original Ketogenic Diet.

So, in a real side-by-side comparison. I don't believe any diet can exceed this diet in blood sugar control. The challenge is always there and I propose it frequently. If you think there is ANY diet which will give better glycemic control then a KD then let's find out! Do each for a month or two and see the results.

Unfortunately, nearly everyone I find who quarrels about this has never really tried it and since I'm too happy where I am to bother proving what I already know, I'm not inclined to try Vegan, Low-glycemic, ADA, low-fat or any of the other fad diets which I know for certain will not work as well.

I put this here to avoid accusations of "hijacking".

Comments of all types welcome (by me, at least).
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

shyam

shyam

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
Salim,

In an earlier post where you discussed the KR you mentioned the amounts of F,P,C to be consumed in % age of calories. In your most recent post you mentioned % age of grams. Please, could you clarify.

For me, the low carb diet works. It may not be a very high KR (because of the meat choices available here) but it sure does a good job in keeping the BGs under control.
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
  • I am a:Type 1
Just for clarity ... suggesting that the "ketogenic diet" is good, without clarifying what it is can be a little confusing.

I would suggest that you could ...

1. Provide links to websites that you find helpful in explaining what the basics of the diet are (or do so in one or more posts)
2. Provide links to websites that provide meal suggestions that fit in with the Ketogenic Diet (or provide posts that do the same).
3. Do #1 and #2 as Blog-posts here (they "last longer" and you can link to them next time you talk about the ketogenic diet in one of your posts (or you could put the link to the Blog Post(s) in your signature).

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

clebo

clebo

• 500 plus
  • 1,285 posts
Hi Salim, So The Ketogenic Lifestyle is the the Best one out there for Bg control...Ok, so what else can we talk about..

I do believe not all can and want to go that road regardless...I have a lot of repect for All who can and do succeed with that Lifestyle, You are living proof, but I would like to hear from someone who has done this Lifestyle for about 20 years or more and see how that individual is doing ,Diabeticly and generally, healthwise..that's my concern about the Ketogenic Lifestyle..long term effects,where are the folks who have been doing this Lifestyle for over 20 years or more at????

I also , like that there are so many other options and Lifestyle choices out there for anyone to choose from than the one-size-fits-all Lifestyle...Be it Ketogenic or otherwise...

I can understand your passion about wanting to share what works for you ...in hopes other might try this Lifestyle and get great Bg control..again, I'm just concerned, about the long term affects..

Hopefully, we'll All be around 20 more years at least and can see, how your Diabetes and general Health is doing then.... and ours too...

Just want to add ...everyone is going to choose for themselves the Best Lifestyle they can live with the rest of their lives...whether their's is better than the Ketogenic or any other Lifestyle..well I guess we'll have to have a 25 year reunion on the Forum and trade results...Hope we All show up for that Day..it would be a wonderful reunion....with great Diabetic Success stories for All Our Lifestyle choices ...

For now..To each his own ,,,I'm happy for everyone who is choosing and living a Lifestyle that works for them...whatever that is...as long as it works for them and they're happy ...that's all that matters...Life is Good ...Clebo
NO MEDS

Type 2 -Dx 7/21 09 -BG 362 -6/15/10 BG 104...Weight at Dx 206...2/3/11-170

80 carbs a day-3 meals (no snacks).. walk 3x a day..Balance is the Key..Moderation in Everything... A1c at Dx off the charts..6/15/10 A1c 5.8..9/17/10 A1c 5.8
Life is Good...Clebo

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts

Salim,

In an earlier post where you discussed the KR you mentioned the amounts of F,P,C to be consumed in % age of calories. In your most recent post you mentioned % age of grams. Please, could you clarify.

For me, the low carb diet works. It may not be a very high KR (because of the meat choices available here) but it sure does a good job in keeping the BGs under control.

By giving percentages, Salim is enabling you to select a calorie count and apply the percentages to it. So if you eat 1000 calories a day, and the F/P/C %'s are 50%/30%/20% (for the sake fo argument only - I don't know what the real breakout is), you'll get 500 calories from fat, 300 from protein and 200 from carbs. Percentages are really helpful in establishing food quantities that work for you, no matter what the diet.

Jen

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Many people, myself included use percent of calories to assess or describe their diet. Using that, mine is something like C10;P15;F75. The ketogenic ratio uses grams and delivers a single number or ratio. I'm sure we T2s cover a wide range from those who could get complete control just by reducing carbs slightly to those who couldn't even at a KR of 2.0 and would need insulin or other means. I just think it is a positive to really know where you stand and the KR is the best way I know to do that. So, if you just reduced carbs and can't get normal BG, a quick check of your KR will let you know if there is more you can do with just diet. As I said, if you take it very high like 2.0 and still can't get good BG no need to fret or be hard on yourself - it's probably time for insulin.

An important point is that absolute grams of carbs means very little and can mean very different things depending on the rest of the diet. So either the C:P:F caloric ratio or the KR calculation give a much better picture of what you are actually doing and its likely impact on blood sugar.

Salim,

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts
I'm with you. I get very frustrated when I hear anyone, especially medical professionals, say that humans "need" carbs to live, for proper brain function, etc. If that were true, many civilizations in parts of the world with extremely limited vegetation would have been wiped out or not existed at all. While the brain does need glucose, I think everyone here knows that glucose in the body does not only come as a result of ingesting dietary carbohydrates - protein and even a little fat can be converted to glucose to meet our bodies' needs, and ketones serve as an alternative fuel source for more obvious energy expenditures.

Now, I'll be the first to admit I'm far from perfect. Heck, I had 3 mini blueberry muffins from 7-11 this morning on my way to work. Because I felt like it. But just because I don't stick to a ketogenic lifestyle consistently doesn't mean I can say it's less effective - the facts are the facts. Sometimes, it feels very restrictive (and by "sometimes," I mean when I've gone off track and am re-battling the carbs - it actually doesn't feel too restrictive to me at all once I get the ball rolling), but, again, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

You mentioned ketogenic diets for certain types of epilepsy. I've also seen mention of ketogenic diets used to improve/treat schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, some cancers, and a handful of othr ailments, in addition to obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypercholesterolemia...and I can only imagine that the reason it works so well for such a range of conditions is that it is the way humans were meant to eat, how our bodies were built to survive most efficiently. While our bodies are amazing things and also have the ability to process carbs in some quantity, that doesn't mean we need them. WANT them? Sure! I'm 110% on board that a ketogenic diet is the healthiest way for me to live. But that doesn't mean I don't want a cup of frozen custard from the shop in my neighborhood sometimes :)

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

MrsMia

MrsMia

• 500 plus
  • 2,034 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

Many people, myself included use percent of calories to assess or describe their diet. Using that, mine is something like C10;P15;F75. The ketogenic ratio uses grams and delivers a single number or ratio.

I'm trying to figure mine out but I think I will have to bring in outside help. My son is home for a visit after he graduated and has a mathmatics background so that should help. :) One thing I need though is a source for getting the protein value of foods. In my Calorie King book they only give calorie, fat, and carbohydrate values.

I'm sure we T2s cover a wide range from those who could get complete control just by reducing carbs slightly to those who couldn't even at a KR of 2.0 and would need insulin or other means. I just think it is a positive to really know where you stand and the KR is the best way I know to do that. So, if you just reduced carbs and can't get normal BG, a quick check of your KR will let you know if there is more you can do with just diet. As I said, if you take it very high like 2.0 and still can't get good BG no need to fret or be hard on yourself - it's probably time for insulin.

I do have to agree with this above paragraph. But I do wonder if controlling bgs with a ketogenic style diet is the only benefit from it? People can get controlled bgs by other methods of eating but do those other methods halt the progression of the disease? Or does it delay the progression? Same questions about the ketogenic diets. I just know that my diabetes is so far in remission (or reversed) after I started eating a ketogenic style diet. And to me, from where I came with my diagnosis to where I am now is like night and day.

Mia

Diagnosed Type II in DKA- 4/9/09, A1c - 13.7
Off all diabetic medications as of 3-19-2012
1 baby aspirin daily

Low carb diet
Daily Cod liver oil, organic raw whole foods multivitamin,
folic acid, curcumin, ubiquinol,and 4 mg.astaxanthin
4/09 - A1c - 13.7 :eek: :eek:

Current A1c - 5.5
:)

non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Mia - I love Calorie King's on-line site. I've downloaded their database to my computer so it's available wherever I am. Select your food and portion size and it returns a complete nutritional breakdown. Actually, in my old Calorie King printed pocket guide, there is a whole section on protein but you really have to hunt for it. I really don't like the way the guide is arranged - that's why I got the software.

Jen

MrsMia

MrsMia

• 500 plus
  • 2,034 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Oh thank you, Jen! I didn't know they had a protein section so I really would need to hunt it down. But I like the idea of downloading their database. Thank you so much.

Mia

Diagnosed Type II in DKA- 4/9/09, A1c - 13.7
Off all diabetic medications as of 3-19-2012
1 baby aspirin daily

Low carb diet
Daily Cod liver oil, organic raw whole foods multivitamin,
folic acid, curcumin, ubiquinol,and 4 mg.astaxanthin
4/09 - A1c - 13.7 :eek: :eek:

Current A1c - 5.5
:)

non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,637 posts
NutritionData.com is helpful, too. Includes protein content and lots of other information (types of protein/vitamins, effect on inflammatory processes, etc.).
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
This is my Ketogenic Diet Re-Cap :

Healthy eating
Contrary to popular perception, there's no diabetes diet. You won't be restricted to a lifetime of boring, bland foods. Instead, you'll need plenty of: Fruits, vegetables, whole grains. These foods are high in nutrition and low in fat and calories. You'll also need to eat fewer animal products and sweets.:)
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
My thoughts are and only my thoughts is ever diabetic who wants to achieve balance with diet and exercise or even with the use of insulin has a carb budget.

Its a scale of sorts. On one end you are able to eat say for example 200g of complex carbs a day and maintain balance. On the other end lets say 0g, an extreme I know, to maintain balance. With the use of insulin, and granted some have to use insulin regardless of what they eat you can adjust your lifestyle up and down the scale to suit your individual wants and needs. Ketosis will happen some where on that scale depending on the amount of protein and fat you consume.

Personally at the moment I am down the scale to less than 50g of carbs a day, have been in Ketosis for a couple of months now. My normal carb budget is around 100g a day mid way on the scale. I would see a A1C in the 5's on 100g a day. So it really does come down to being able satisfy ones needs.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

raffi

raffi

• 500 plus
  • 1,909 posts

you'll need plenty of: Fruits, vegetables, whole grains. These foods are high in nutrition and low in fat and calories. You'll also need to eat fewer animal products and sweets.:)

For most type 2 diabetics attempting to control with diet and exercise, that advice is borderline dangerous. Most of us have to be very careful with fruit and grain (whole or not). While I currently eat far more veggies than I ever did before and agree with their health benefits, I don't think I could eat enough of them to keep myself going since, as you pointed out, they are low in calories. Without adding fat to my diet, I would either be starving (not sustainable) or eating a lot more of things that gave me a blood sugar hit.

Keep in mind that I say this as someone on this forum who probably eats more fruit and grain than most (at least most of the lower carb people). Frequent testing shows me that upping either any significant amount is detrimental.

As to the animal products, based on what? As to the sweets? OK, we agree here. :)

And, just for the record, my current diet is far more varied than my pre-dx diet. Even if I'm "restricted" in what I can eat, I am ranging further than I used to.

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

For most type 2 diabetics attempting to control with diet and exercise, that advice is borderline dangerous. Most of us have to be very careful with fruit and grain (whole or not). While I currently eat far more veggies than I ever did before and agree with their health benefits, I don't think I could eat enough of them to keep myself going since, as you pointed out, they are low in calories. Without adding fat to my diet, I would either be starving (not sustainable) or eating a lot more of things that gave me a blood sugar hit.

Keep in mind that I say this as someone on this forum who probably eats more fruit and grain than most (at least most of the lower carb people). Frequent testing shows me that upping either any significant amount is detrimental.

As to the animal products, based on what? As to the sweets? OK, we agree here. :)

And, just for the record, my current diet is far more varied than my pre-dx diet. Even if I'm "restricted" in what I can eat, I am ranging further than I used to.

I have a very simple answer for you raffi . If you think it is dangerous then don't eat it.....:stupido2:
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Me too! I hope one will join. I knew on another forum who has done it for 9 years after many years of very severe ADA diet-induced complications. He remained completely symptom free and with very normal BG and good health in every other way for the entire 9 years up until I lost contact with him. As I recall he is about 67 years old and lives and Florida.

I met another on different forum who had been doing it for 20 years with the same excellent results. I guess he got the memo and got it earlier than most others! Same fantastic health results in every regard.

Bottom line, this is no "fad". It has been used intentionally for weight loss, epilepsy, diabetes and other purposes in the western world for over 150 years. Entire peoples have lived this way for centuries. In fact, most likely the entire human race lived this way for over 99% of our existence.

Quite the contrary, grain-based diets are very recent in the scheme of things - 10,000 years at most. The rest of the current "fad diet" (low-fat, "good" carbs, "heart-healthy", etc.) has only been with us a few decades. It's track record is dismal to say the least!

It may look "mainstream" with all the huge organizations and governments behind it, but in reality IT is the "fad diet" of which we need to beware!

Hi Salim, So The Ketogenic Lifestyle is the the Best one out there for Bg control...Ok, so what else can we talk about..

I do believe not all can and want to go that road regardless...I have a lot of repect for All who can and do succeed with that Lifestyle, You are living proof, but I would like to hear from someone who has done this Lifestyle for about 20 years or more and see how that individual is doing ,Diabeticly and generally, healthwise..that's my concern about the Ketogenic Lifestyle..long term effects,where are the folks who have been doing this Lifestyle for over 20 years or more at????

I also , like that there are so many other options and Lifestyle choices out there for anyone to choose from than the one-size-fits-all Lifestyle...Be it Ketogenic or otherwise...

I can understand your passion about wanting to share what works for you ...in hopes other might try this Lifestyle and get great Bg control..again, I'm just concerned, about the long term affects..

Hopefully, we'll All be around 20 more years at least and can see, how your Diabetes and general Health is doing then.... and ours too...

Just want to add ...everyone is going to choose for themselves the Best Lifestyle they can live with the rest of their lives...whether their's is better than the Ketogenic or any other Lifestyle..well I guess we'll have to have a 25 year reunion on the Forum and trade results...Hope we All show up for that Day..it would be a wonderful reunion....with great Diabetic Success stories for All Our Lifestyle choices ...

For now..To each his own ,,,I'm happy for everyone who is choosing and living a Lifestyle that works for them...whatever that is...as long as it works for them and they're happy ...that's all that matters...Life is Good ...Clebo

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

raffi

raffi

• 500 plus
  • 1,909 posts
Working so far for me. It's also why I tell people to test. There is a lot of advice out there telling diabetics to eat as you suggest. For someone controlling with diet and exercise alone, it is simply bad advice, a fact that testing will show.

While I am currently eating a ketogenic diet, I did not get here from advice to do so or by following what others were doing. What I did was test and keep testing. This changed my diet away from fruits and grains. Without really giving it any thought, I made the calories up with fats. That's not to say I chow down on the what other people trim off their meat, I get my fats from salad dressing, oil in a stir fry etc. If you look at what I eat, you would probably describe it as primarily vegetables. That's how I described it (and thought of it) until I actually ran everything through some food calculators and realized that (by calories) it was mostly fat.

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
That's not the first time I've seen someone a little surprised at what they are actually eating. On another forum, I was being lynched (which eventually led to banning) by a gang of "regulars" who couldn't stand what I was saying. The virtual leader of this "gang" one day actually calculated a typical day's food and discovered (much to the horror of the rest of the "moderates") and to his credit even admitted that he was eating around 75% of calories from fat! Like yourself and myself, he got there mainly by meter readings and trial and error more than theory or pre-planning. He was a big advocate of "eat to your meter".

Working so far for me. It's also why I tell people to test. There is a lot of advice out there telling diabetics to eat as you suggest. For someone controlling with diet and exercise alone, it is simply bad advice, a fact that testing will show.

While I am currently eating a ketogenic diet, I did not get here from advice to do so or by following what others were doing. What I did was test and keep testing. This changed my diet away from fruits and grains. Without really giving it any thought, I made the calories up with fats. That's not to say I chow down on the what other people trim off their meat, I get my fats from salad dressing, oil in a stir fry etc. If you look at what I eat, you would probably describe it as primarily vegetables. That's how I described it (and thought of it) until I actually ran everything through some food calculators and realized that (by calories) it was mostly fat.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts

This is my Ketogenic Diet Re-Cap :

Healthy eating
Contrary to popular perception, there's no diabetes diet. You won't be restricted to a lifetime of boring, bland foods. Instead, you'll need plenty of: Fruits, vegetables, whole grains. These foods are high in nutrition and low in fat and calories. You'll also need to eat fewer animal products and sweets.:)

I apologize; I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. No one "needs plenty of" fruits or whole grains. The vast majority of people also do not "need" to eat fewer animal products. The majority of my diet consists of a variety of meats, eggs, and dairy. At last check, my total cholesterol was around 102 and A1C of 4.9, and that's having been medication-free for about a year and a half now. Now, I can contribute some of these results to my bariatric surgery, but by now, I can eat pretty much anything and absorb all the calories I eat, so the surgery was essentially only a temporary tool to help me get the excess weight off, and now it's back to diet as my primary weapon.
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,895 posts
Hey Salim.....You are doing a great job in helping to educate and offer this option to many folks who have diabetes, that did not even know this diet was an option to treat and control Diabetes.

I don't have issues with folks arguing about which diet is best, or whether you should use drugs or insulin to control Diabetes. My biggest beef is that the mainstream medical community (ADA) won't even open the discussion that there is a diet available that can help folks achieve normal Blood Sugars without relying upon pharmaceuticals.

This LCHF diet is an OPTION that doctors, CDE's, and nutrtionists need to make available for patients that are seeing them. It is a crime that many folks with Diabetes don't even get exposed to this option, unless they happen to buy the right book, stumble across a website like DF, or run into a Friend that can help them.

I am happy to compare my diet with any other diet. I am healthy, fit, and ready for action. I know what I felt like when I was eating a Low Fat diet.....my Ketogenic Diet is the Best and I would recommend this diet to an option to anyone dealing with weight issues, BG issues, cancer, or many other medical ailments. Even Type 1's can benefit from this diet

Just a warning, a low carb diet can really have an impact on your BG, so be careful with your current meds. If you are taking medications (or insulin) to lower your BG, you should consult with your Doctor prior to starting this diet. A LCHF will require adjusts to your current medications.

Most folks who stick with this diet soon find that they can shed most of their meds (or severely reduce the quantity).

Your body is an amazing machine.......and you will be amazed at how well it can heal itself when you are feeding it the proper fuel!
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2