Cucumber Curry

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mussakka

Mussakka

• 500 plus
  • 808 posts
Now that summer is in full swing and our CSA has kicked into higher yields, I've been looking for new things to do with cucumbers aside from salads and pickles. In several countries, they're seldom eaten raw, so I thought I'd experiment with cooking them.

Found this online and tried it and I have to say, it's delicious. It doesn't look or sound like much, but boy it's good.

Here's my version:

3/4 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
1 can coconut milk, well shaken and stirred
1 large or 2 medium cucumbers, cut into half-inch half-moon shapes
2 – 4 fresh green chillies, cut into half lengthwise
3 teaspoons black mustard seeds
3 tablespoons ghee (or butter with a little oil added)
salt to taste

Combine about 1/3 of the coconut milk and 1-1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil (it could foam and spill over, so keep an eye on it). Rinse the lentils, drain, and add to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the lentils have mostly disintegrated. The lentils essentially become the base of the sauce.

Add the cucumber, chillies and salt. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes until the cucumber is tender.

Meanwhile, heat the ghee (or butter, if using) over medium high heat in a separate pan and add the black mustard seeds. After a few seconds the mustard seeds will begin to pop. Allow most of them to pop (you'll know when the noise calms down) and then dump the ghee/butter/seed mixture directly into the pan with the lentils and cucumber. Stir well.

Add the remainder of the coconut milk, stir, and increase the flame to heat through. Don't let it boil at this point, just come to a good piping hot stage.

For coconut oil lovers, it would be great to use that instead of ghee/butter.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,244 posts
Yummmmm. Some of my favorites - cukes and any kind of chili!

Jen

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I like mine stir-fried with Chinese Chili garlic sauce, but I would love to try THIS! Yummy. Very south Indian, no?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Shadawbi

Shadawbi

• 500 plus
  • 271 posts
Sounds interesting. I might try this IF I can. My daughter likes cucumber salad made with onions & either a sour cream dressing or an Italian dressing. I rarely have any cukes left by the time she's tired of me making these! LOL
Type 2 diagnosed Jan.2011. Caretaker for husband who was shot in the head & suffered a severe traumatic brain injury during a robbery in June 2008. He is a miracle! Mother to a wonderful 17 yr old daughter with learning disabilities. Yes, my plate is very full!:eek:

I take Metformin 500mg 3X/day
Lantus pen 20 units at bedtime
Claritan 10mg for allergies
singulair
Learning to eat lower carb.

Mussakka

Mussakka

• 500 plus
  • 808 posts

I like mine stir-fried with Chinese Chili garlic sauce, but I would love to try THIS! Yummy. Very south Indian, no?

Indeed. The original recipe called for curry leaves as well, but I didn't have any hand. Including them certainly wouldn't hurt.

I was thinking of making the chili-garlic stirfry as well. Any particular brand of sauce or combination of ingredients?
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Are "black mustard seeds" the thing called kalonji in India, usually called "black seed" in English al-habb as-saudaa in Arabic or is it something else?

Now that summer is in full swing and our CSA has kicked into higher yields, I've been looking for new things to do with cucumbers aside from salads and pickles. In several countries, they're seldom eaten raw, so I thought I'd experiment with cooking them.

Found [URL="http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2007/10/31/cool-as-a-cucumber-a-curry-to-die-for/"]this[/URL] online and tried it and I have to say, it's delicious. It doesn't look or sound like much, but boy it's good.

Here's my version:

3/4 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
1 can coconut milk, well shaken and stirred
1 large or 2 medium cucumbers, cut into half-inch half-moon shapes
2 – 4 fresh green chillies, cut into half lengthwise
3 teaspoons black mustard seeds
3 tablespoons ghee (or butter with a little oil added)
salt to taste

Combine about 1/3 of the coconut milk and 1-1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil (it could foam and spill over, so keep an eye on it). Rinse the lentils, drain, and add to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the lentils have mostly disintegrated. The lentils essentially become the base of the sauce.

Add the cucumber, chillies and salt. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes until the cucumber is tender.

Meanwhile, heat the ghee (or butter, if using) over medium high heat in a separate pan and add the black mustard seeds. After a few seconds the mustard seeds will begin to pop. Allow most of them to pop (you'll know when the noise calms down) and then dump the ghee/butter/seed mixture directly into the pan with the lentils and cucumber. Stir well.

Add the remainder of the coconut milk, stir, and increase the flame to heat through. Don't let it boil at this point, just come to a good piping hot stage.

For coconut oil lovers, it would be great to use that instead of ghee/butter.

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

ZoraP

ZoraP

• 500 plus
  • 327 posts
Salim, the two are different. Black mustard seeds (Latin: Brassica nigra) really look like yellow mustard seeds (except for being dark brown) and taste somewhat similar, although they're a different genus. The "blackseed" you mention is Latin Nigella sativa, also often called black caraway. My kitchen is stocked with both so I've learned what they're called and how to shop for them. :)

On a related note (but another different genus) ;) I've discovered that Europeans don't use the word cumin the same way English speakers do; the word is used for caraway and you have to go out of your way to find true cumin, at least here in Slovenia where I live. I love cumin and use lots of it, so I'm always stocking up on it at international markets when I have the chance.
Gestational diabetes 3x, controlled with diet. Didn't resolve after last baby.
No formal diagnosis.
A1c 4 June 2010: 5.8
No meds
Low-carb diet
Goal: A1c = 5.0

PINK

PINK

• 500 plus
  • 776 posts
Mussakka, THis recipe sounds really good! Have you counted the carbs per cupful or 1/2 cup serving?

Pink

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Lantus 19 U PM started 5/25/11 and now Novolog. 1:13~ Low. Carb. Life Choice is -under 100g- and I exercise every day.
Dxed 2009 A1c=6.5/~Symptoms started at a very young age/ 8/10 C-peptide 1.1, fasting bg that day was 117, goodchol. is up, bad is down.
A1C --6.7 July 2010....A1C~~ 6.5 Mar 25 2011, May 22 6.8 (time for 'Slin) My galloping heart slows me down.
http://pix.ie/inthepink/album/410126

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users