Photo

Can you Mix Levimir with Humalog in one syringe ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

mkachar

mkachar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
According to Gary Scheiner " Think Like a Pancreas " (2004 edition) Detimir ( Levemir ) can be mixed with a fast acting insulin. However most other sources state that you can not mix them. Has anyone tried mixing Levemir and Humalog with success ?

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,078 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
You can't mix them in the same syringe. What Scheiner means is you can take them at the same time - you just do two injections in different parts of your body.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
I'd defer to the manufacturers with this, who state explicitly not to mix. AFAIK mixing won't make the world explode but studies suggest it may change the profile of one or both, an x factor you could do without.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

mkachar

mkachar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The exact quote from Scheiners book is
" Lantus must be given in it's own syring (it can not be mixed with other insulins, meaning that a lot of injections will be necessary. Detemir may be mixed with fast acting insulin."

I'm pretty sure that means that Scheiner is saying mixing in the same syringe. ( Not 2 injections in different parts of body)

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
From the Levemir pharmaceutical notes: (http://www.novo-pi.com/levemir.pdf)

Mixing of Insulins
If LEVEMIR® is mixed with other insulin preparations, the profile of action of one or
both individual components may change. Mixing LEVEMIR® with insulin aspart, a
rapid acting insulin analog, resulted in about 40% reduction in AUC(0-2h) and Cmax
for insulin aspart compared to separate injections when the ratio of insulin aspart to
LEVEMIR® was less than 50%.

Assuming your quote is correct, I don't know why Gary Scheiner recommends this. Potentially mucking around with the onset of insulin is just bad news.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

mkachar

mkachar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The quote form Schiener's book is from 2004. Maybe at the time mixing Levemir was considered OK , but further research showed that it can not be mixed ?

DanG

DanG

• 500 plus
  • 961 posts

The quote form Schiener's book is from 2004. Maybe at the time mixing Levemir was considered OK , but further research showed that it can not be mixed ?

I don't think it is a matter of more research - these are specifications for use by the manufacturer.
Tread across that line, and it is your ballgame. Keep behind that line - you can count on support from the manufacturer.

If you are trying to save on use of syringes - that is another story. I also want to save on use of syringes, so I load a syringe with humalog (I use apidra currently) and then take the number of units I need and put the syringe away until later when I need more insulin. I usually load one syringe up for the day for all the meals and corrections that I anticipate. It usually works out okay, but some days I need to load up the next day's syringe with a little extra so I can have enough insulin to finish out the current day's needs.

There are other ways to save syringes than messing with the manufacturer's rigorous testing and certification. But, if you want to have an insulin vial contaminated with two different types of insulin - it is your syringe and your body. You might be surprised, but then again you might find us to be fuddy-duddy in saying you are best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. I'm one to challenge all things - but on this one, I stick to the manufacturer - I don't need any more surprises in this insulin junkie game than I already experience.

mkachar

mkachar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If you are trying to save on use of syringes - that is another story.

The expense of syringes is nor an issue for me. I'm just trying to minimize the discomfort for my 8 year old daughter associated with the injections. She has to suffer the rest of her life with these **** injections and fingersticks ( Just like all of you guys). So if I can reduce the number of injections by mixing it would make it a little more tolerable.

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,240 posts
The best way to minimize discomfort of shots is to use the smallest gauge needle possible. I take a minimum of 10 shots a day and don't even notice it.

I'm sure you're hurting for your little one, but if mixing insulins in one syringe means she's got to take more insulin to get the same effect, the trade-off for one or two fewer shots a day may not be worth it in the long run. How long has she been diabetic? A raw deal for sure, but it's really just her new normal now. The shots and fingerstick tests may be harder on you than on her ;).

Jen

mkachar

mkachar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was able to get clarification on mixing Levemir from Gary Schiener himself. He stated as follows:

Detemir should not be mixed with any rapid insulins. When I was putting together the book, Novo's representatives told me that they believed it could be mixed, but since then it was learned that the pH of the two insulins is not compatible.

I'll have a new edition out later this year with the correct information.

Gary Scheiner MS, CDE
Owner & Clinical Director
Integrated Diabetes Services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users