does high blood sugar make you hot?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

disgirl

disgirl

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
Do any of you who have type 2 diabetes experience overheating/flushing when your blood sugar is high? Sometimes I get really hot on my face and shoulders almost like a match is lit over me. I'm not in menopause so it's not a hot flash!! Thanks!

Ed B

Ed B

• 500 plus
  • 374 posts
Remembering the picture thread we had a couple of years ago, I have to say Yes, there are a lot of HOT diabetics. :)

Attached File  Rimshot.gif   7.43KB   157 downloads

I am sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Old A1Cs: April 2007 A1C: 10.6; Aug 2008 A1C: 6.0; Jan 2009 A1C: 6.5; April 2009 A1C: 5.6 !!! :); June 2010 A1C 6.1;
Bayer A1C Now: May 31 2011 A1C 6.7 ; June 30 2011 A1C 6.2
Latest Official: July 06 2011 A1C 6.1
Bayer A1C Now Dec 1 2011 A1C 5.6
Bayer A1C Now April 20, 2012 A1C 5.8
--------------
Metformin: 1500mg/day
Onglyza 5 mg
Crestor: 10 mg
Quinapril 20 mg

Photoblog http://countryoaksimages.com/

samorgan

samorgan

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,641 posts
Are you anywhere near menopause? Sometimes the hot flashes can start really early.
Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years Old
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11
Edited 6/2011: +1 yr of age, less exercise :(, +2 more grandkids :)

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Are you sure you are high when this happens. It only happens to me when I am very low, you describe that feeling perfectly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,424 posts
The potential role of glucose transport changes in hot flash physiology: a hypothesis.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
I'm not T2, but significantly high BGs - absolutely, time and again. No menopause here - male. :)
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,584 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Yes, when my blood sugars are high, my face feels like its on fire and my cheeks are quite hot to the touch. It's similar to a hot flash, the only difference being the hot flashes seem to set my entire body on fire, not just the head and neck.

Fun isn't it? ;)

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

disgirl

disgirl

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
Well...I'm 38 so I don't think so. My mom was in her 50s when she went into menopause and usually women follow their mom. I suppose I am in peri or pre menopause. I guess it's something I could check out with my doctor..thanks!

disgirl

disgirl

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
Mine always involves the face, neck and shoulders but last longer than a hot flash. I work with quite a few women who have hot flashes due to menopause and they seem to come on quickly and leave quickly.

disgirl

disgirl

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
Hi Penny,

I have only had 1 low since I was diagnosed with Type 2. Once when I was really hot I checked my bs and it was 250 so I feel it's related to elevated blood sugar. I wish I had lows..LOL!!

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,846 posts
Not for highs, but I do for lows.

rainlover54

rainlover54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had hot flushes for highs and lows for 50years. I travel for my job and one day it dawned on me that I was subconsviously using the car air conditioning to control my hot flushes. However I've learn't to also control them by altering my breathing (a Tai Chi technique).
One advantage is that my partner thinks I'm a very undersatnding male as I can always pick and undestand her menopausal hot flushes.

All the best

PINK

PINK

• 500 plus
  • 776 posts
Yes to longer lasting hot flushes for low or high numbers. Mostly high.

I think many women who think they are having menopausal hot flashes are really having the high glucose hot flushes.

This is really too bad as many women are missing the dx.

They might even be told it is Pre-menopause or the worst: 'just stress' which is a common explanation used to deflect patients when docs really have no clue.

Pink

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Lantus 19 U PM started 5/25/11 and now Novolog. 1:13~ Low. Carb. Life Choice is -under 100g- and I exercise every day.
Dxed 2009 A1c=6.5/~Symptoms started at a very young age/ 8/10 C-peptide 1.1, fasting bg that day was 117, goodchol. is up, bad is down.
A1C --6.7 July 2010....A1C~~ 6.5 Mar 25 2011, May 22 6.8 (time for 'Slin) My galloping heart slows me down.
http://pix.ie/inthepink/album/410126

timmerz

timmerz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
When I go over 250 I usually know it because of the small amount of perspiration that starts on the forehead...not wet per se, just starts with a clammy kind of a wet feeling, and gets progressilvely worse as the number climbs, if I can't get a reading and correct immediately...

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,432 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I often get a hot flash when my bgs spike 20-30 point. I can almost feel when I get a liver dump by this flushing. At first I thought it was do to Menopause but I am way past that, now.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 4 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-3 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 63

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
When I was in denial and didn't take my meds nor my condition, t2, seriously, my numbers were over 200 and was always sweating and always feeling hot. It has been almost 2 years of diligent med taking that it's gotten better in a sense that my body doesn't feel as hot as it used to.

Daniel

foxc

foxc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I find i am sweating profusely at time especially my neck and chest. not sure if this is happening when blood sugar is going up or down. Am on metformin xr 1000 2x/d Hear is the problem ...have started a new job where i frequently have to make presentations. Last time i soaked the collar of my jacket and hair was wringing wet. How can i avoid this embarrassment in the future??
diagnosed july 2011

Michael_lambert

Michael_lambert

• 500 plus
  • 755 posts
Same here.. I get warm and flush when i am up 125+ and i get cold and shaky when i am low 70-
120 Units Lantus at night | 1/2 unit per carb of NovoRapid
Type II Diagnosed August 2008
AC1 8.5 - October 2009
AC1 7.9 - January 2010
AC1 6.2 - May 2011

Meet my Daughters... The reason I am here the reason I want to resolve this issue and stay here!!!

Abigail Rose Lambert
Madison
Sophia

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
For 66 years I have become very hot with high BG, and cold with low BG. Becoming hot on a hot weather day, or cold on a cold weather day, is very uncomfortable!
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

I find i am sweating profusely at time especially my neck and chest. not sure if this is happening when blood sugar is going up or down. Am on metformin xr 1000 2x/d Hear is the problem ...have started a new job where i frequently have to make presentations. Last time i soaked the collar of my jacket and hair was wringing wet. How can i avoid this embarrassment in the future??
diagnosed july 2011

If you think these episodes of sweating are related to your blood sugars, the only way to be more sure is for you to test during and around the time the episode occurs. It could be related to a blood sugar trend - or it may not. Unfortunately, a lot of diabetes symptoms are very generic and may be caused by other things. Temperature issues, sweating, fatigue, headache, dehydration, adrenalin releases... all examples of things that might be being directly caused by your diabetes and blood sugar, or not at all.

The way to establish a link is to check your blood sugars at these times and establish if there is a pattern. If you find that it is your blood sugars causing side effects, obviously one possible treatment is to see if you can prevent the blood sugar movement in the first place.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users